If I Was Your Boyfriend

one hundred-ten.

‘You’re really into these bridal shows, aren’t you?’ Justin asks lying beside me in the bed.

He had a ice pack pressed against his face staring at the TV in front of him nursing on the bruise he received at his boxing club visit earlier today.

‘I just think it’s cute to watch how excited they all are.’ I shrug as it goes into its commercial break. ‘Especially when they find the dress for them.’

He doesn’t say anything else, he just smiles. He listens to me ramble on about brides, weddings, and engagements. He stares attentively with a grin nodding his head as I went along.

‘If I were to ask you, where do you think I would pop the question as they say?’ Justin wonders propping himself up on his elbow.

Believe me, I’ve thought about this occasionally. I would be doing the most random thing when my mind would wonder to the possibility of Justin lowering himself on one knee before me.

‘I’m not sure. Your life motto is expect the unexpected. Sometimes I think that it would be cute and simple, somewhere secluded, a little place you found for just the two of us. There wouldn’t be anyone around, maybe a photographer hiding in the bushes. We’d have this dinner you made just as the sun would set and you would just ask. Then other times I think there would be tons of people around capturing the entire thing after you did something spectacular in the middle of some huge event. Like at your birthday party.’

‘I know how I’ll ask you.’

‘How?’

‘I guess you’ll have to wait and find out.’ Justin smirks just as the show comes back on.

Justin stayed for an hour or so more before he went to go meet up with his friends from Canada before they left.

‘Chrissy, you got a letter on the kitchen table.’ My mom calls as I close the door from letting Justin out.

Without checking the name or address I cut into the letter with a swipe of my finger.

I wonder how quick it’ll take your boyfriend to flea.

Each day has 24 hours and I’m giving you three.

You wouldn’t want me to intervene.

Or else next I’ll mail you his spleen.

‘Mom.’ My voice shakes as the word drops from my lips, ‘who’s this from?’

‘All I saw was your name. I didn’t think to check the sender address. What’s it say?’

‘I have to go.’

‘Go where?’ my dad says stepping through the patio’s door.

‘Somewhere. I have to check on something.’

‘Okay, I’ll just call Paul.’ My mom pulls her phone from her pocket.

‘No thanks.’ I don’t waste any time rushing out of the house and to my car.

Each day has 24 hours and I’m giving you three. I had three days to get Justin out of harms way from whoever this was. First I needed to find Justin.

‘Hey, Chris.’ He answers on the second ring,

‘Hey. Are you busy?’

‘Never busy when it comes to you.’ He replies on the other line, ‘what’s up?’

‘When you’re finished with your friends can you meet me somewhere?’

‘Yeah, is everything okay?’

‘I just want to talk.’

‘Alright. I love you Chrissy.’

‘I love you.’ I hang up the phone and drive over to Danielle’s house to kill time.

Justin’s Point of View

‘Thanks for flying out guys.’ I stand in the busy lobby of LAX.

‘You better be there by the end of the week.’ Chaz slaps my back.

‘We’ll see.’ I reply before they all head off to their terminal.

A hundred and one thoughts and theories were racing through my mind as I drove to meet Chrissy at the dance studio. She called a little while ago, seeming off. I agreed to meet her once I was finished with the guys. I make it to the dance studio and go inside. Chrissy was sitting on the floor blankly standing at her reflection. My sneakers squeak against the hard wood flooding as I make my way over to her.

‘What did you want to talk about?’ I ask unable to wait any longer.

‘About us going to Canada.’ She quietly replies not breaking the staring contest she had going on with herself right now.

‘Do you not want to go or something?’

‘No, I do.’ She assures me shaking her head. ‘I was just hoping that we could leave a little earlier than expected.’

‘When were you thinking?’

‘Tomorrow morning actually. When Nichole and Ryan leave.’

‘Short notice but we can do it. I'll pick you up in the morning and we can go from there.’

‘Another thing,’ she pauses with a low sigh, ‘I wasn't actually going tomorrow morning. I was going to meet you there in a few days.’

‘Why in a few days?’

‘I just wanted to take care of a few things.’

‘Okay, I'll leave in a few days with you then.’

‘I really just need you to go tomorrow with Rocky.’

‘Chrissy, you're not making any sense right now.’

‘Do you trust me?’

‘Of course I do.’

‘Okay, can you trust me on this too?’

‘Can you clarify "a few days"?’

‘Three.’

‘Okay. I guess I'll get on the plane in the morning and see you in three days.’

‘Thank you.’ She wraps around me holding me tighter than she has in a long time.

‘Is everything okay?’

‘Everything's fine.’

>>>>

I wait patiently in Chrissy's kitchen the next morning while her mom goes to get her. Chrissy's dad was sat at the table drinking a cup of coffee. From the looks of it, very hot coffee. Chrissy trots down the stairs before her mom's return. Rocky was at her feet and his bag was thrown over her shoulder.

‘Ready to go Rock?’ I wonder crouching down to his level.

‘Are you headed somewhere Justin?’ Her dad calls from the kitchen table.

‘Yes sir. I'm going to Canada for a week.’

‘That's exciting. Spontaneous trip?’

‘Not exactly. I've been meaning to get back to my hometown to spend sometime with my grandparents and friends.’

‘Safe travels.’

‘Thank you sir. Can I actually have a word outside before I leave?’

Chrissy stares at me confused as I step out into the backyard with her dad.

Chrissy's Point of View

I watch from the window as my dad closes the patio door behind him. Justin's lips move along with his hands appearing to be telling a story. My dad watches every word with his full attention.

‘Has anyone ever told you it's rude to spy?’ Isabelle's voice was laced with annoyance.

‘Has anyone ever told you not to extend your welcome?’

‘Don't you think for one second I'd rather be here than with my kids actually enjoying my day. This entire "welcome" has been nothing but Chrissy this. Chrissy that. I am sick and tired up to here of dealing with Chrissy's problems. Tom feels like he actually owes you something. It's sad really. You think you've got him wrapped around that tiny little finger of yours well think again. I must say bravo to that whole nut bit at the restaurant. So what I slip you some nuts. Big deal. You eat a handful of nuts and you rush off to a hospital? Bravo. You are a better actress in real life than you are on that dreadful movie. A million and one people could stand in that backyard and we would still be leaving tonight. I'll make sure of it.’

‘Where do you get off talking to my daughter like that?’ My mom chimes in standing at the staircase.

‘Did you hear what she said to me?’ Isabelle pulls out her defensive card.

‘I just heard every single word of that conversation. I think Tom should know about it too.’

I couldn't even begin to process everything that was going on right now around me. Just then Justin walks in behind my dad.

‘Chrissy I have a very serious question to ask you and I need you to be completely honest with me. Did Isabelle tell you to stay away from me and the kids in Arizona?’

‘Yes.’

‘She also openly admitted to giving your daughter nuts in that restaurant.’ My mom informs him and it looks like my dad is going to be sick.

‘She's lying.’

‘No I don't think she is,’ Justin pipes in stepping beside me, ‘after repeatedly calling every single employee of that restaurant someone finally talked. Several works say they saw Isabelle pay off one of the cooks to slip some walnuts into Chrissy's stew that night. No one's seen or heard from him since then.’

‘Tom, I-...’

‘Don't.’ My dad cuts in harshly, ‘don't speak. I want you out of this house immediately. When I get back to Arizona, you will be gone. So I suggest you start packing your clothes now. I will not have you around any of my kids, ever again.

‘Tom.’ Isabelle repeats but she’s ignored.

‘Leave now, never come back or I will call the police on you for trespassing.’ My mom warns with dark eyes, ‘Second thought, don’t get too comfortable in your bed.’

Isabelle glares at me for a long moment. If looks could kill I would be standing here right now. She leaves without getting her luggage from upstairs or anything else that belonged to her. Justin wraps a supportive arm around me holding me close to him.

‘It’s okay.’ Justin whispers rubbing my back with his hand. ‘She’s gone and she’s never coming back.’

‘Chrissy, I am so sorry.’ My dad stands in front of Justin and I, ‘I had no idea I loved someone who could be that cruel to my own daughter. Why didn’t you tell me?’

‘I saw just how happy she made you.’

‘That clearly wasn’t the real her.’

Just then the doorbell rings. My mom walks over to the door with dad right behind her, both were very cautious with each step. It wasn’t Isabelle, or an intruder; it was Nichole and Ryan who had been waiting in the car this entire time.

‘You two could’ve came in.’ I inform them closing the front door once they were inside.

‘He said he’d run in to get Rocky and be right back out.’ Ryan stiffs out a laugh, ‘you are lucky that car has AC.’

‘Sorry, got a little busy. I’m coming now. Will you go with me?’

‘Okay.’ I nod grabbing my purse and phone then saying goodbye to my parents and following them out the door.

‘I’m actually glad you’re dropping us off because I really didn’t want to leave my car in LAX’s parking lot.’

‘I’ll drive it back to the apartment and then get my mom to follow me so I’ll have a ride back.’

‘Don’t wreck my baby.’ He grins leaning forward to rub the dashboard of his Bat Mobile with one quick swipe.

‘I won’t.’ I smile in return leaning in the seat. ‘So Nichole, Ryan, are you happy to be going back to Canada?’

‘I love LA but Canada’s amazing.’

‘I’m just happy you two got together with the help of me.’ Justin laughs looking at the both of them through the rearview mirror, ‘I did good.’

‘I wouldn’t give you all the credit.’ Ryan chimes behind me, ‘I did ask her myself.’

‘Yeah after I set everything up.’

‘Whatever you say.’

Justin and I each pet Rocky before he has to go into his kennel for the flight. He lays down peering out of the metal just as he always did.

‘Chrissy, we’ll definitely need to get together if you come out to Canada.’ Nichole waves after I hug her and Ryan goodbye.

‘She better.’ Justin pulls me into his arms wrapping them around me, ‘three days right?’

‘Three days.’

‘What are you going to do?’ he asks inquiringly.

‘I just want to take of something and I’ll be there, I promise.’

‘Well since you promise.’ Justin gives in and doesn’t question me any more. ‘I love you so much. Please, be safe and careful.’

‘I love you too. Don’t get into any fights up there.’

‘I can’t make that promise but I’ll try.’ Justin jokes kissing my forehead then cheeks. ‘I’ll call you as soon as I get to my dad’s.’

‘Alright. Bye Jay.’

‘Bye Chrissy.’ Justin swallows so loud I could hear the gulp, ‘hurry up and flight out.’

‘I will.’ I kiss him before watching as he walks behind Nichole and Ryan towards the terminal.

Now I had three days to watch the person watching me.