If I Was Your Boyfriend

one hundred-sixteen.

Justin's Point of View

I drive and drive around the outskirts of LA with no such luck. I was filling my car up for the second time. From outside of the car I could hear my phone ringing for the hundredth time. I look over the middle console to read the screen. Scooter. So that makes a missed call from mom, dad, Ryan, Kenny, Scooter, Chrissy's mom, and Danielle. The feeling of guilt rest heavily in my stomach as I yank the pump from my car's gas tank and place it back. I know they're going to tell me to come back. I know they're going to tell me how reckless and irresponsible I’m being. I know they're going to say let the police handle it. I've heard it a thousand and one times. The police aren't going fast enough for my taste so I had to take matters into my own hands. My phone begins to chime again as I climb back into the car. James. James was the private investigator that Chrissy had hired and I had been in touch with him.

‘Any word from your guy?’ I immediately ask.

Since James was still in the hospital he wasn’t able to track Carter. Instead he had one of his friends in the business tail him as a favor. The problem was that he was lying extremely low since the police sent out his picture to all of California. The word travel fast about Chrissy’s disappearance and his picture was plastered all over the world. The fans were spreading the word like wild fire. I’m pretty sure I saw a picture of fans sticking up flyers up with the picture of Carter and a number to the police department.

‘He hasn’t found him yet.’

‘I thought you said he was quick.’

‘I said he can be quick. These things aren’t easy. I mean we’re not tracking some man who’s cheating on his wife at the local diner. This guy is a police officer with years and years of experience. He’s smart. He knows how to cover his tracks. He knows how to lay low. He’s quick. He’s got a lot of resources.’

‘Did you call to tell me that he’s untouchable?’ I snap feeling my blood boiling, ‘I’m sorry; I’m just stressed out right now. I don’t know what to think. I don’t know if she’s eating. I don’t know if he’s hurting her.’ I let my voice trail off, unable to finish the sentence.

‘I called to tell you that there’s a mechanic’s shop he was spotted at not too far from town. My guy’s going out there now. I’m waiting to hear back from him.’

‘Do you have the address?’

‘Not yet. The line was going in and out.’

‘Keep me in the loop.’ I say before hanging up and driving out of the parking lot.

I stop off at Taco Bell to grab a bite to eat and wait to hear back from James. My phone begins to ring for the umpteenth time causing my head to throb. I sigh bringing the phone to my eyes to study the screen. It was an unknown number. I immediately answer bringing the phone to my ear.

‘Hello?’

‘I’m here with Chrissy.’ Carter’s voice chimes on the other line.

‘Justin?’ Chrissy’s voice is tired and strained in the background. ‘I miss you. I love you Justin.’

‘Chrissy?’ My voice cracks at her voice, ‘I love you so much too baby. You hang in there. Everything is going to be okay. I promise. I promise you that I’m going to find you and nothing’s ever going to hurt you. I need you to stay strong for me and just wait for a little while longer. Just a little while longer. That’s all and we’ll be together again. I’m going to find you Chrissy, I promise. Whatever it takes. I love you.’

‘Chrissy is better off without you. You can never provide her with the life she deserves. I’m able to give her that. You are nothing but interfering with her moving on. She’ll never be able to fully continue her life with me with you in the picture. I suggest you step aside before I have to set you aside. You will not want that to happen. That night outside will feel like a massage compared to what I’ll do to you next. We are going to be together and you are not going to stop us.

She’s mine. You lost her.

Soon her days with you will be a blur.’

With that the line goes dead leaving me there speechless. My hands are shaking against the steering wheel, as my knuckles turn white. I call up Mike to meet him at his place for a sparring session. By the time we were finished I was drenched in sweat and my body ached.

‘Good job today.’ Mike calls as he walks me out to the driveway. ‘Same time tomorrow.’

I climb into the Range Rover and pull out of his driveway. I make it to a hotel and park the car beside a tree in the back row. I grab the duffle bag and go inside to the counter. I fish my wallet out and slid my card across the table.

‘Room for one, please. I would appreciate it if word didn’t get out about me being here.’

‘I completely understand. We hold a strict privacy policy with all of our guests.’

‘Thank you.’ I grab my car and the room key then head towards the elevator.

As soon as I get into the hotel room I take a hot shower before lying across the bed. I grab my phone and go to a new text message.

Mom, Dad

I’m sorry I didn’t answer your calls today. I wasn’t prepared to hear what you’d say when you found out what exactly I was doing. I know this has been stressful on you too especially with my trip to the hospital. I’m going to find Chrissy. I’m sorry that I left the way that I did. I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you. And I’m sorry that I snuck out of the apartment. I just knew you would go against it and this is something I really need to do. Please, don’t call the police. Yet. Give me a few days. I’m so close. I can feel it. I’m okay, I’m well, don’t worry. I’ll call you soon. Love you both.

I flick the light off and try to get some sleep but end up failing. I toss and turn for hours before finally turning on the television flipping through the channels. I unplug my phone from its charger and scroll through my camera roll. Chrissy’s eyes were bright and filled with so much life. Her smile was literally the reason I woke up. I squeeze the bridge of my nose replaying her voice on the phone today. She was scared. I could just hear the chill behind her voice. I pull on a fresh pair of clothes then head out for the day. The sun barely begun to grace me with its presence. As I’m walking to my car something catches my eye. Each of the tires were down to the concrete with evident slashes in them.

You’ve been warned.

Carter was going to have to try a lot harder than that to scare me away from Chrissy. I was going to find her and end this once for all if I had to use every fiber of my being. I call up the tow truck and catch a ride to the nearest mechanic. I have them check the brakes, tires, and anything else Carter could sabotage. After blowing a full four hours waiting around at the mechanics I can drive my car away. I go to train with Mike again before disappearing in the hotel room for the day. As I’m getting out the shower James’ number pops up on the screen.

‘Tell me you have good news.’

‘He’s out in the city. My guy just spotted him at the hardware store. Sending you the address now. Go now.’

‘Thanks!’

I snatch my car keys up and jog down the few floors to the lobby and out the hotel door. I punch in the address in my GPS and drive as fast as I could without getting pulled over. I park outside the hardware store and wait patiently. Five or ten minutes later Carter walks out of the hardware store with rope thrown over his shoulder and a white sack in his hand. The only thing I could make out was duct tape. My stomach drops to my feet as watch him make his way to a beat up pick up truck. I wait twenty seconds before driving a few cars behind him. I could only imagine Chrissy sitting somewhere bound up unable to move. A lump rests in my throat as I continue to follow behind him. My phone begins to ring as I’m driving and I press a button on the steering wheel to answer it.

‘Justin?’ Danielle whispers into the phone.

‘Yeah?’

‘Where on Earth are you?!’

‘I am currently tailing Carter.’

‘WHAT?’

‘Yeah, I got a tip.’

‘Justin you can’t be serious.’

‘Well what else am I supposed to do Danielle?’

‘Let the police handle i-…’

‘I am really tired of people telling me that, no offense.’

‘Well at least tell me where you’re going? Maybe we could meet you out there.’

‘Alright. I will text you the address as soon as I get there.’

‘And Justin…’

‘Yeah?’

‘Please be careful. Chrissy will not forgive me for letting her boyfriend get hurt.’

‘I will, don’t worry. Text you soon.’

‘Okay, bye.’

I watch as Carter pulls off the gravel road and drives into a grassy area. I cut the engine and begin walking on foot. There was a broken down warehouse that stood alone in the grass. I could see a few windows that would be easy to get her through. Carter jumps from the trunk and walks around the building. I rush across the grass and peek into the window to get a better look. I couldn’t see anything in there. I wonder where she could be. I take my phone out to text Danielle the address.

hey im at

Chrissy’s Point of View

I wake up in the middle of night not knowing what time or what day it was. My eyes slowly scan the room realizing I was still in this never ending nightmare. Carter shoves the door open dragging something in the door. I reposition myself to watch as he comes into the door. No no no. I could not be seeing this correctly. I blink and blink again but I can’t seem to escape what was happening.

‘Justin?’