If I Was Your Boyfriend

one hundred-twenty three.

The sound of a flushing toilet and water turning on wakes me up from my slumber. I roll out of the bed and pull my shoes onto my feet so Justin and I could go back to his dad's house. Justin comes back fully dressed running a wet hand through his messy hair.

‘Good morning.’ he tiredly smiles as he plops down onto the bed beside me, ‘we stayed out all night.’

‘What time is it?’ I grumble rubbing my weary eyes.

‘Almost 7.’ He answers sliding his phone down into the pocket of his jeans.

‘We should get back.’ I stand to my feet before examining myself in the mirror.

‘Yeah, we can come back for Garrett and Danielle in an hour or so.’ Justin agrees taking my hand in his.

After checking the key back in we were free to leave. I follow Justin to the car and settle down into the seat. He starts the car up and pulls out of the parking lot.

‘So. Stratford, Arizona, LA, Paris, Hawaii.’ Justin says after a while as a smirk plays on his lips.

‘Shut up.’ I laugh not making eye contact with him, ‘are you still getting that tattoo with Ryan today?’ I inquire, attempting to change the subject.

‘No, I'm going to have my guy Dan come over tomorrow and hook us up.’ Justin replies coming to a brief stop at a stop sign.

‘I thought that Ringo was your tattooist.’

‘For LA, yes but when I'm here I have Dan do it. He's just as talented as Ringo and he gives me a discount.’ He laughs resting an arm on the middle console. ‘Ryan and I are going to get this sick design of this star. I just don't know where.’

‘How about right here.’ I touch a small space of skin that hasn't been marked, ‘I think it'd fit perfectly.’

‘I do too.’ He agrees grabbing a hold of my hand, ‘Garrett was talking about getting a few tattoos too while he was down here so maybe you can do something with Nichole and Danielle.’

‘We were actually talking about that before they left LA.’

‘So it all works out.’ Justin says pulling the car into the long driveway, ‘just hope he's not awake.’

Justin and I quietly walk into the house and go upstairs before Jeremy wakes up. I go to shower and brush my teeth then find something to wear in my luggage. Justin showers afterwards then gets dressed. By the time i finished with my hair Jeremy was just coming downstairs.

‘Good morning.’ he smiles warmly walking over to the coffee maker. ‘You two hungry?’ He wonders as Justin trots down the staircase.

‘Nah, Garrett and Danielle got in last night so I'm going to take them to Tim Horton's for the best breakfast of their lives. Do you need anything?’

‘Bring back a twelve count.’

‘Got it.’ Justin grabs the key from the table and we slip out of the door.

We go back to the hotel and wait out in car for Garrett and Danielle to come down. They exit from the main door and slip into the backseat.

‘So are two ready for only the greatest donut place in the world?’

‘I'll let you know if it's the greatest once I taste it.’ Garrett says in return closing the door.

...

‘Okay this is the best donut place in the world.’ Garrett admits half an hour later, ‘I'm never leaving.’

‘Told you.’ Justin coughs under his breath with a laugh. ‘So what does everyone want to do today?’

‘I’d personally love to see the city a little bit more.’ Danielle chimes in with a shrug, ‘definitely need more pictures.’

‘Alright, like promised I’ll show you guys around and then we’ll all drive to Toronto before it gets too late.’

Justin, Danielle, Garrett, and I walk the same familiar streets from yesterday while he shows them everything he showed me. He calls up Ryan and Nichole to go with us on our brief trip to Toronto then tells everyone to meet at his dad’s place in twenty minutes.

'What's the matter with Jazzy?'

'She's upset that I haven't spent much time with them since I got here.' Justin explains quietly. ‘I promise that we’ll do something before Chrissy and I go back home.’ Justin says bending down to wipe Jazzy’s fresh tears. ‘I’m just going to spend some time with them today since they flew in to see us, then you, Chrissy, Jax, and I are going to do something really big.’

‘Promise?’ Jazzy holds up her small pinkie finger in front of her brother’s face.

‘I promise. Do you promise to take care of Rocky for us for the afternoon?’

‘I promise.’ Jazzy agrees just as Jaxon comes back inside with Jeremy.

‘I’ll see you when I get back, okay?’ Justin pecks her cheek and scoops her up into his arms. ‘I love you Jazzy.’

‘I love you.’ She replies softly giving Justin a squeeze.

‘Come here little bro.’ Justin signals Jaxon to come over to him, ‘I’ll see you later tonight, alright?’

‘Okay.’

‘I’ll need you to take care of Rocky with Jaz, do you think you could do that?’

‘Yes.’

‘That’s my bro.’

We say goodbye to Jeremy before heading outside to wait for the others. Ryan borrowed his dad’s van so there would be enough room for everyone. Justin and I take the very last row of the van and he throws a blanket over us.

‘I think you’ll love Toronto.’ He says as Ryan pulls away from the curb, ‘lots to see.’

‘I’m just happy to be with you.’

‘How long until we make it to Toronto?’ Justin calls up to Ryan who was having a conversation with Nichole up front.

‘Less than two hours.’ Ryan calls back grabbing a hold of Nichole’s hand as he drives with the other.

I smile at the two of them remembering how they were in LA. They were into each other but neither one of them wanted to say it. Justin swears to this day he was the one to set up Nichole and Ryan. He’d probably stand up at their wedding and give a speech about it was all him and how he gave them the courage to get together. If you ask me Ryan did most of the work and Nichole already liked him before Justin decided to play matchmaker so it was a matter of time before they got together anyway. Just don’t tell Justin that.

‘I was thinking that we could go back to the children’s hospital when we get back to LA.’ I inform him leaning my head on his chest. ‘See little Annabelle and Rocky and the others.’

‘I would actually like that a lot. I love spending time with the kids.’ Justin agrees wrapping an arm around me. ‘So, I talked to Jeff.’ Justin informs me and I begin to sit up to study his face. I hadn’t talked to Jeff since I been out of the hospital. He came to visit but it was awkward seeing how Justin and I did call the police on him when we thought that he was the one stalking me instead of Carter.

‘Really? What did he say?’

‘I just wanted to apologize to him again and he told me not to worry about it. I invited him to dinner next week.’

‘We’re going to dinner with Jeff?’

‘Yeah, and your parents.’ Justin informs me, ‘don’t worry; there are no hard feelings. He completely understands.’

‘Okay.’ I nod in response still unsure about sitting down with the three of them for dinner.

We were not halfway to Toronto with plenty of daylight hours to spare. For the duration of the car ride Justin and I played hangman and tic-tac-toe on old receipts down in my purse.

‘We’re here.’ Ryan announces victoriously, mainly because he didn’t get lost like Justin bet he would’ve.

The six of us ended up going to the Famous People Players Dinner Theatre. We clapped and cheered during dinner as we watched the show on stage. By the time we were leaving it was dark out. Ryan goes to the gas station to put more gas in the van before we head back to Stratford. Everyone insisted on going inside even though it would take a few minutes. I follow behind Justin as he raids the candy aisle.

‘Do you want some candy?’ he wonders with his arms filled with packs of gum, chocolate, and sour candy.

‘Are you really going to eat all of that in the car?’

‘No, I’m saving some of it for the flight home and I guess I’ll share with Jaz and Jax.’

I grab a root beer and a pack of Twizzlers before following Justin to the check out. Outside a blacked out SUV squeaks towards the front of the store to park. I move closer to Justin while the cashier slowly scans each of the items. I wanted to kick Justin for buying so much candy right now. Finally she finishes and we walk out to car to catch up with the others. As we walk past the SUV I try to peek in but the windows were as black as the sky right now. Justin lets me slide into the van first as Ryan finishes filling the car up.

‘Alright, Stratford – here we come.’ Ryan announces closing the door and securing himself with his seat belt.

‘I am exhausted.’ Justin groans resting his head on my shoulder. 'What a day.'

‘So am I.’ I agree through a yawn, ‘but Ryan’s the one driving.’ I stiff out a small laugh, ‘so we have it better than him.’

‘I guess so.’ Justin nods with a tired smile, ‘I got your present.’ He informs me after awhile of peaceful silence. ‘For your birthday.’

‘You did? Here in Canada?’

‘No, I ordered it. It will be waiting for you on your birthday.’

‘I really don’t want it to be a big thing.’

‘You went out and threw me a party with all of my friends and you even flew out my family and friends from Canada so I don’t want to hear any of that.’

‘No parties, please.’

‘Fine, no parties.’ He agrees, unconvincingly.

Behind us a large vehicle speeds down the smooth highway. The lights grew closer and closer to the back of the van. Justin sits up to look out of the back window once the lights shine through the car.

‘Geez, what’s with the bright lights?’ Ryan squints into his rearview mirror before getting over in the far right lane. ‘That’s better.’

Justin settles back in the seat as I stare out of the wide window to study the car. It was the very same car from the other night and the same car from the gas station twenty miles back.

‘Justin.’ I start quietly as the car switches lanes to get directly behind us again.

‘What’s their problem?’ Justin glares into the lights of the mysterious car.

At this point everyone except Ryan had turned around in their seats to start at the blinding lights. The lights grow brighter as the car gets closer. I wait for the car to stop or slow down but it never does. I grab a hold of Justin’s arm before the car nudges the back of the van.

‘Whoa.’ Ryan slightly swerves gripping the steering wheel with both of his hands, ‘I hope they haven’t been drinking or anything.’

‘Try to let them past.’ Garrett suggests and Ryan begins to pull aside when the large SUV follows.

‘Justin, I think its Carter.’ I whisper getting his arm tighter. ‘I think he’s been following us. I think he is in Canada.’

‘He can’t be…’ Justin shakes his head looking out the window, ‘he can’t be that crazy.’

‘What does he have to lose?’ I ask him before the car collides to the back of the van once again.