If I Was Your Boyfriend

one hundred-twenty five.

Justin’s Point of View

I slide from the black leather chair as I examine the new ink on my skin. It fit perfectly where Chrissy recommended and it actually looked great. Ryan and Garrett were in the corner of the room discussing their new tattoos. Ryan and I got matching graffiti-like stars while Garrett got a set of roman numerals for the day that his grandfather passed away.

‘You really hooked us up this time man.’ I slap hands with my tattooist taking a quick picture of the new ink before it had to be covered. ‘Very much appreciated.’

‘Anytime man. It’s always a pleasure.’

‘I’ll hit you up next time I’m in town.’ I say before heading out the door with Ryan and Garrett.

As I’m climbing into the car my phone begins to let out a familiar chime. It was the specific tone I had set just for Chrissy so I’d know it was her.

‘Hey baby.’ I couldn’t hold back the oncoming smile that spreads stupidly across my face. ‘Chris?’ I squint at that fumbling around in the background. ‘Hello?’

‘I’ve been looking for you.’ Carter’s voice sends chills through my body.

My stomach immediately drops to my feet in that moment. Ryan and Garrett stare at me cautiously as they climb into the car.

‘Justin.’ Chrissy peeps quietly before more rustling into the speaker.

‘Chrissy? Are you alright? Where are you?’

‘I’m here with your girlfriend over at Brenda’s Boutique and I think its about time that we end this little game of ours. If I were you I’d get here quick.’ Carter speaks cryptically into the phone before hanging up.

Brenda’s Boutique. I knew exactly where that was and thank God we weren’t too far away. I dodge in and out of lanes trying to get there as soon as possible. The closer and closer I got the more my blood began to boil. Carter was right about one thing – it was all going to end today. Nichole, Danielle, and some random girl all stood outside of the store helplessly. A sharp feeling of pain stabs through my body when I see Garrett and Ryan come in contact with their girls.

‘Wh- where is she?’ my voice comes out shakier than expected.

As Danielle opens her mouth several squad cars fly down the narrow road before coming to a stop in front of the store. They get out with guns in their hands and rush towards us. Customers and workers from other stores were standing along the streets watching all of it taking place. A Stratford News truck pulled up behind the police cars and several people filed out of it. A large camera was pointed in our direction as the reporter grabbed a microphone.

‘We got a call from someone named Danielle.’ One of the officers say while the others begin to put up yellow tape keeping everyone back. ‘Which one of you is Danielle?’

‘That’s me.’ Danielle sniffles briefly leaving Garrett’s protection.

‘Can you tell me what’s happening here?’

‘We were shopping; Nichole and I were in the dressing room trying on clothes when Carter came into the store. He pushed us all out and kept Chrissy inside. He took our phones so we had to go use the phone next door to call for help. You have to get her out of there.’

‘We’ll do our best.’ The cop confirms beginning to walk away to speak to the others.

‘He has a gun.’ Nichole calls after him and he stares at her before nodding.

‘I shouldn’t have left her.’ I kick the green trashcan over causing dozens of people to look at me.

The cops were huddled around in a circle, suggesting strategy I guess. I couldn’t look at them as I once did. After all this with Carter, someone who’s supposed to protect us. I was definitely going to take a better look at not only the LAPD but any police department. I’ll walk with caution around them especially when I’m with Chrissy. My phone rings again and I immediately answer it.

‘Hello?’

‘Justin.’ Chrissy says into the phone once again. ‘Don’t do i-..’

‘I’m right outside and I’m going to help you.’

‘I’m willing to let you inside, but only you. No cops, no friends, no reporters. Just you.’ Carter cuts in; I’m guessing he took the phone from Chrissy.

The onsite captain stares at the phone unsure but doesn’t say anything. I see Ryan and Garrett exchange nervous looks with one another.

‘I’ll be watching you. So I’ll know if you lie to me and sneak someone inside. Chrissy will be the one to pay if you do.’

‘I won’t!’ I quickly cut in, ‘okay – just me. I get it. Just don’t hurt her.’

‘I’ll be waiting.’

The line goes dead again and I hold back the urge to throw my phone right in the middle of the street.

‘I don’t think I can let you go in.’ the captain says running a hand across his chin.

‘Why not?!’

‘This could be some sort of trap. Then we’d have two hostages and he could still harm her.’

‘I am not sitting out here, on the sidelines while my girlfriend is inside there.’ My jaw tightens as I feel my fist tighten. ‘I’m not going to do it.’

‘It’s too risky.’

‘If you’re not here to help, then leave.’

‘Justin.’ Ryan says hesitantly. ‘We all want Chrissy to be okay but he’s right, it’s too risky.’

‘If Nichole was in Chrissy’s place I know you’d run in there in a heartbeat and Garrett you’d do the same for Danielle so don’t expect me to sit here and do nothing when she needs me.’

‘I’m not letting you go without some sort of protection.’ The captain says catching me off guard. ‘Let’s just think of something. Give me five minutes.’

‘Five minutes and I’m going in.’ I say taking the bullet proof vest from the back of the squad car, ‘five minutes.’

Chrissy’s Point of View

Carter takes his eyes off of me once there was a slight knock on the store’s door. My heart stops as he walks over to it with his gun in his hands. Justin stands in front of me with his hands in the air while Garrett holds him at gunpoint.

‘Get down, now.’

Justin does as he’s told and gets down on his knees beside me. He keeps his hands in the air and his eyes on Carter while he takes his seat.

‘Now that I have you both here I’m afraid that our little game cannot go on any longer.’ Carter points his gun directly at me, ‘you hurt me. I deserved you. I thought we were going to have this great life together but you wouldn’t let that happen. You thought you were too good for me just like your mom did years ago. Sadly I don’t handle rejection very well. I know this line has been used time and time again but if I can’t have you no one can.’

‘Please, don’t.’ I turn away from him as I feel the large knot swell up in the throat.

‘Carter, don’t!’ Justin shouts, hands still in the air, ‘You don’t have to do this.’

‘But I do.’ He walks towards me holding the gun a mere inches away from my face. ‘If won’t love me then no one can love you.’

‘No, no you don’t.’ Justin’s voice is strained as if he were going to burst into tears at any moment, ‘look I lost Chrissy before. It sucks. I know what it’s like to not have her smile at you or to not hear her voice. It hurts like hell believe me I know. She’s the amazing person and sometimes it makes me mad that the world doesn’t have thousands of her walking around. Sometimes I feel guilty that I’m the only one who can experience the warmth she provides. But one of things I love the most about Chrissy is that she is forgiving. I’ve screwed up so many times but she’ll forgive me. That’s who she is. Put the gun down. Let her forgive you. Don’t hurt her.’

‘Maybe I’ll just kill you and take her away with me.’ Carter takes the gun off of me and places it on Justin.

Justin looks at me with a small smile along with wet brown eyes and reaches his hand out to touch my wet cheek.

‘I love you.’

‘I love you too.’ I lean against his touch closing my eyes tightly.

‘I promise you that everything is going to be okay. Do you trust me?’

‘Yes.’

‘Do you believe me?’

‘Yes.

A gunshot goes off and all the life is immediately drained from me. I don’t open my eyes scared at what I might see. Justin’s warm hand begins to caress my cheeks as a pair of lips meet my forehead. I slowly open my eyes to see Justin still sitting in his same position. Several men dressed in black police uniforms were standing around Carter who was bleeding from his hand. They pull him to his feet and handcuff him then read him his rights.

‘You can’t arrest me!’ Carter shouts as they pull him from the store, ‘I’m a police officer. I’m one of you.’

‘You’re a disgrace to the name.’ one of the officers hisses before shoving Carter into the back of the car.

‘It’s over.’ Justin breathes with the widest smile, ‘this time for good. It’s finally over.’

‘It’s over?’

‘Yes, it’s over.’ He confirms happily wrapping his arms around me, ‘I love you so much.’

‘I love you so much.’ I repeat burying my face into his tee shirt, ‘I love you.’

‘Carter’s going to jail. He can’t get to you, me, or even Rocky.’

‘It’s over.’ I cough out stunned as I stand to my feet.

Outside of the store there were tons and tons of people. Police officers, paramedics, shop owners, news reporters, camera crews, and Stratford civilians. Justin protectively wraps his arms around me as we walk to meet with the others across the street. Danielle and Nichole rush over to me nearly knocking me down with their hugs.

‘We’re so glad you’re okay.’

‘Me too.’

‘Good to see you again Chris.’ Ryan and Garrett hover over me with pleased smiles.

While Justin and I were answering all of the police questions Jeremy rushes out of his car.

‘I came as soon as I got wind of what was going on. Is everyone okay?’

‘Yeah dad.’ Justin says looking down at me with a smile, ‘we’re okay.’

….

‘Get some sleep kid.’ Justin tucks in Jazzy at the end of the night; ‘tomorrow we’re going out for a special day just for you and Jax.’

‘Better sleep.’ Jazzy pretends to snore with the hint of a smile on her face.

‘Night Jaz.’

‘Night.’

I go across the hall and lay down in the bed looking at the ceiling. Justin quietly lies beside me placing his hands behind his head. Rocky comes into the room and jumps into the bed.

‘What’s on your mind?’

‘I’m just really glad that all of this is done.’

‘I am too.’ Justin agrees grabbing a hold of my hand.

‘Did you know that the police were going to come in?’

‘I knew they were coming but I didn’t know when they were coming.’

‘Thank you.’

‘How many times have I told you not to thank me for protecting you. I feel obligated to keep you safe, always.’ Justin kisses my lips before patting my back, ‘now get some sleep. We have a big day ahead of us.’