If I Was Your Boyfriend

one hundred-twenty seven.

A few days later



‘Here we go.’ Justin says after we all said goodbye to Jeremy inside of the building. ‘Time to board the plane.’

‘Justin why are we flying in a private plane?’ I question holding Rocky in my arms.

‘I just thought this would be better.’ He says with a shrug hurrying onto the plane.

I follow Danielle and Nichole inside while the boys put the luggage onto the plane with the flight crew. With Rocky I find a seat by the window and wait for Justin to join me. I look out the window to see Jeremy still standing inside of the small building peering through the window. Justin plops down beside me with his bag of snacks and sweets.

‘You ready?’

‘You’re acting weird.’ I laugh, ‘I guess I am ready to get back to my bed.’

‘I was thinking that when we get back you’d move back into the apartment. I mean it’s been so long since you were actually there.’

‘How about when my dad leaves? I’m really not trying to have that fight with him again.’

‘Yeah, I don’t want him to kill me.’ Justin laughs tearing into a bag of M&Ms before the plane even takes off. ‘Sit back and relax. We will be at our destination before you know it.’

‘Justin, have the police said anything about Carter?’

‘Chrissy your birthday is in less than twelve hours. I do not want to think let alone hear about Carter right now, okay?’

‘Okay.’ I grab one of the pills from my bag and swallowed it with water. I slowly begin to let Carter ease to the back of my mind, putting the issue aside. ‘So, what are we doing when we get to LA?’

‘I don’t know what we’re doing when we get to LA.’ Justin responds, ‘we can figure that out when we get to LA.’

‘Alright, I’m taking a quick nap.’ I lean back in the chair with Rocky still resting in my lap.

‘I’ll be sure to wake you when we land.’ He says with a smile and a quick kiss.



‘Chrissy we’ve landed.’ Justin whispers pressing his lips gently against the skin of my hand. ‘Everyone’s waiting for you.’

‘They are?’ I mutter tiredly, ‘didn’t we just land?’

‘We landed about twenty minutes ago. I couldn’t bring myself to wake you up but if I don’t now then you’ll have to sleep on the plane tonight.’ Justin says with a laugh giving me a slight shake, ‘come on baby. Time to go.’

‘I’m coming.’

‘You are actually not moving.’ Justin lets out a laugh beside me, ‘you have yet to stand up.’

‘Okay now I’m up.’ I stand to my feet beside Justin leaning on the seat in front of me, ‘where is everyone?’

‘They’re out helping load the cars up.’

‘Where’s Rocky?’

‘Nichole and Danielle went to walk him before we leave.’

‘This doesn’t look like LAX.’ I say peering out of the window into the dark night.

‘Come on.’ He grabs a hold of my hand a guide’s me off of the plane.

The night was dark and warm. I could see the city’s lights in the background as well as a large tower that brightened the sky. I turn to look at Justin who was waiting with a large smile.

‘HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRISSY!’ Everyone exclaims and the driver hands me a bouquet of roses along with large balloons. Danielle’s phone set off several flashes as she takes pictures.

‘Thank you!’

‘Yep, we’re actually in Paris now.’ Justin wraps his arms around me guiding me to the car, ‘are you happy?’

‘I would’ve settled for dinner at the apartment! Of course I’m happy!’ I beam turning in his arms to hug him, ‘you’re the best.’

‘Happy Birthday Chris.’

‘I love you so much.’

‘I love you.’ Justin grabs the balloons from me then climbs into the car, ‘onto our next destination.’

‘What now?’

‘You’ll see.’

‘What time is it?’

‘It is currently a little after midnight.’ Justin answers as everyone piles into the large van, ‘so are you hungry?’

‘Yes! Your candy didn’t really hit the spot on the plane.’ I lean my head on him, ‘where are we going?’

‘You know I’m not going to tell you, right? In fact, could you put this on?’ he fishes out a black blindfold from his pockets.

‘Did you know about this?’ I look over at Danielle in the backseat.

‘Maybe.’

‘Do you know where we’re going?’

‘Do not say a word.’ Justin points a finger over at her, ‘I will throw you off the Eiffel Tower.’

‘I won’t let him.’ I laugh covering Justin’s mouth.

‘Sorry Chris, I’ve been sworn to secrecy.’

‘Blindfold please.’ Before I could respond Justin covers my eyes with the black cloth.

‘You’re so annoying.’ I tease as Justin finishes tying on the blindfold.

‘Yeah but you love me so…’

About half an hour or so later Justin and Danielle were helping me from the car. Justin ties the balloons on my wrist and places the flowers in my other hand.

‘You blindfolded her?’ Ryan’s voice questions not too far away.

‘Yep.’ Justin calls back grabbing a hold of my friend hand. ‘Let’s go guys.’

‘Are we almost there?’

‘Almost.’ He answers back, ‘okay just a few more feet.’

‘Wow.’ Nichole speaks beside me quietly, ‘so pretty.’

‘What is it?’

‘Hold on baby.’ Justin laughs for the tenth time tonight coming to a stop, ‘okay take off the blindfold.’

Without hesitation I rip the blindfold from my face and look around. There were thousands and thousands of lights that illuminated the area. Dozens of balloons were tied around to all of the light posts. Music played so softly in the background that I couldn’t make out what song it was. A large castle stood just a few feet away. We were at Disneyland. Several people in costumes stood with more balloons and a pair of Mickey Mouse ears for me.

‘Happy Birthday Chrissy. Welcome to the place where all your dreams come true.’ Mickey Mouse giggles carefully placing the pair of ears on my head. ‘We hope you enjoy your stay.’

‘Thank you so much.’

I stand there while the character break out with Happy Birthday waving their hands around dramatically in the air. In the end they all start clapping while walking around in a circle.

‘Justin, this is the best thing anyone has ever done for me on my birthday.’ I say tossing my arms around his waist.

‘Wait, you’re crying.’ He says giving me a tight squeeze, ‘Are these happy tears or sad tears?’

‘Happy.’

‘Okay those I can deal with. Now, let’s go eat.’

The six of us are escorted to a long table right outside of the castle. Garrett, Nichole, Ryan, and Danielle all take a seat on one side of the table while Justin pulls me towards the other.

‘Why are there so many chairs?’

‘Because…’ Justin trails off excitedly.

‘Happy Birthday sweetheart!’ my mom rushes over to the table with Jeff and my dad.

‘You made it!’

‘And…’

Pattie and her boyfriend Roman come from the same dark area that my mom appeared from just moments ago.

‘Happy Birthday Chrissy.’ Pattie smiles warmly making her way to the table. ‘You’re even more gorgeous than the last I saw you.’

‘Thanks! We’ve spent the last I don’t know how many hours in the air.’

‘You look like you’re fresh from the runway.’ She laughs taking a seat.

‘Anymore guests?’

‘That’s it.’

‘Now we can all eat because I know we’re all hungry.’ Justin sits down beside me.

Several workers dressed in white carry out trays and trays of food. I smile down at my plate pleased before beginning to devour the food.

‘So good.’ I beam to Justin.

‘Mmm.’ He agrees with a mouth full of food, ‘everyone, I’d like to make a toast.’

‘A toast?’ I raise an eyebrow as he begins to stand up and Ryan pulls out his camera.

‘Yes a toast.’ He repeats, ‘so I’m so glad that you all flew out here to help me celebrate the girl we all love Chrissy. Although, I may love her in a different way than you all, hopefully.’ He pauses to laugh, ‘nonetheless we all love her. It seems like it was ages ago when I first laid eyes on this beautiful girl. I’m sure you all know the story of how we met but please hang with me as I reminisce for a second here. I was on my way to the studio one day and I was running late. So here I am doing 50 in a 30 – don’t try this at home. I come within inches of her running into my car. I mean really my car was going to meet her before I had the chance to. I jumped out of my car and started apologizing to her immediately. I offered to take her out for coffee since I really couldn’t talk to her right then and there. We went out, we met at this Starbucks a couple of days later. I brought my girlfriend at the time with me and Chrissy brought this guy with her. I admit even then I was jealous and all I knew was her name. I convinced her to audition as the new dancer for my video and she did then she got the part no surprise there. She’s such an incredible dancer. Really. She even makes me look bad. Anyway, we started dating soon after and here we are today. We have a dog together, I mean in our relationship that’s as serious as it gets. We're practically married. I know I’ve made my share of mistakes during this relationship of ours but she’s always had my back. Every single day. She makes me strive to be this better guy, for her. I can honestly say that I have never been in a relationship where I found myself trying this hard to be perfect one hundred percent of the time. I don’t know why I do because Chrissy would love me if I were wearing a paper bag over my head. She’s aware of all of my annoying flaws and she accepts every single one them happily. She’s taken half of my baggage and placed it on her back but she never complains. She goes with the punches, not because she has to but because she’s that caring. She’s genuine and has the biggest heart. One of the many things I love about her. Just recently, we went through such a difficult time, as I’m sure you all know about. Things weren’t easy for any of us and especially not for her but she never gave in. I don’t know how she does it but she does. She’s so small yet so brave. You’re so brave Chrissy, I admire you so much. Here I am supposed to be her boyfriend that protects her but I find that she’s always protecting me. She’s honestly bigger than I am. I don’t know where I’d be without her. I thank you, her parents, for raising such a beautiful, smart girl. I thank you for giving me your trust and I promise that I’ll never hurt her. I’m planning on taking care of her for a long, long time. I’ve had the pleasure of spending all of these months with her and I still can’t get enough of her. I don’t think there’s a definite number of days where I’ll get tired of waking up beside her. No matter what I’m feeling in the morning she’ll turn it all around. Most people wake up with the help of the sun, I wake up with the help of Chrissy. She is my sun in a way I guess. I know this all sounds pretty lame and Garrett and Ryan are cracking up over there right now but it’s all true. I could only hope that everyone finds their Chrissy Thorton one day. Someone who puts his or her needs behind yours. Someone that loves them unconditionally. Someone who loves them for who they are and wouldn’t change a single thing about them. Someone who just brightens their day without even trying. Someone who truly cares. I mean its not like they could ever actually compare to the real deal but anyone who even gets an ounce of what Chrissy makes me feel is a very lucky person. I love you Chrissy more than I could ever tell you with words but I’m going to show you for the rest of my life. I could go on and on to you guys about how much I love this girl beside me all night but I’ll end it here. Happy Birthday. To Chrissy.’

‘To Chrissy.’ The rest of the table claps once Justin finishes his toast twenty minutes later.

‘I love you.’ Justin whispers wiping the tears from my eyes as he presses his forehead to mine.

‘I love you too.’