If I Was Your Boyfriend

one hundred-thirty two.

Justin’s Point of View

Early the next morning I carry Chrissy back to the room where Nichole and Danielle were fast asleep. I carefully lay her in the bed and slip back out of the room unnoticed. I figured the last thing Chrissy wanted to see this morning was my face. I go back to my room and walk over to the balcony. To my surprise there dozens of reporters outside in the streets. I step outside to get a better look when they spot me.

‘JUSTIN IS IT TRUE THAT CHRISSY IS CARRYING YOUR BABY?’

‘ARE YOU AND CHRISSY THORTON ENGAGED?’

‘ARE YOU-…’

I walk back inside and slam the door closed before I could hear the next question. The word was out – in the worst possible way. I couldn’t dare go onto Twitter right now. My phone rings – Scooter. Just like clockwork. It was only seven in the morning here so it had be late in the night in LA.

‘Yeah?’ I answer sitting back on the bed.

‘What is going on?!’ he immediately questions, as I knew he would.

‘There’s actually a lot going on right now so you’re going to have to be a bit more specific?’

‘Is Chrissy pregnant?’

‘No.’

‘Are you engaged to her?’

‘I am actually not sure.’ I sigh, ‘I think? I don’t know how it works. She threw the ring at me after wearing it for thirty minutes.’

‘This is the reason I should’ve came with you.’

‘Well you were the one who was busy.’ I remind him pinching the bridge of my nose, ‘I don’t know what’s going on. There’s a bunch of paps outside the hotel. It’s just a matter of time before my mom goes down stairs and hears-… her dad.’ I swallow letting it all sink in.

‘I did not understand that last part.’

‘I gotta go! I’ll call you back later.’ I hang up the phone and rush down to Ryan and Garrett’s room.

‘Do you not have a clock?’ Ryan grumbles, ‘it’s seven in the morning.’

‘I know! Just look outside your window.’

‘Whoa.’ Garrett stares down at all of the awaiting paps, ‘what’s that about?’

‘The words out about it. The pregnancy and the engagement! They think Chrissy’s pregnant and now her parents are going to catch wind of it all.’

‘Well she’s not pregnant – that’s for starters.’ Ryan reminds me, ‘so the chance of him killing you has went down tremendously.’

‘Go talk to him.’ Garrett suggests, ‘just get it over with and let him hear it all from you before he gets the wrong impression.’

‘You’re right.’ I nod, ‘alright, ‘I’m going now.’

‘That a boy.’ Ryan pushes me out the door and closes it.

I walk down the hall to the elevator and my heart beats faster with each step. I lean against the wall and wait for the elevator to come to go onto the next floor. The door glides open and my mom steps out with an expression I couldn’t quite read.

‘Just the person I was looking for,’ she pulls me by my arm, ‘we need to talk.’

‘Right now?’ I sigh grabbing the nape of my neck.

‘Yes. I was going out with Roman this morning for coffee when a mass of reporters asks how many weeks along is Chrissy. Is there anything you feel that you need to tell me?’

‘She’s not pregnant.’ I reply quickly, ‘if that’s where you’re going with this – Chrissy is not pregnant.’

‘Well now I can breathe again.’ Mom smiles, ‘you know I had to make sure.’

‘I know. I really need to go to talk to Chrissy’s parents before they hear the wrong thing.’

‘Alright, I’ll let you go. See you later.’

‘Later mom.’ I kiss her cheek before walking back towards the elevator.

I knock on Chrissy’s dad’s door and wait against the wall. I anxiously rock side to side as I wait. It’s not like I was scared or anything but Chrissy’s dad – the man’s huge. I mean I would never want to be on his bad side or catch him down some dark alley.

‘Justin.’ He extends his hand as he always did. ‘Come in.’

‘Are you liking the stay?’ I ask awkwardly closing the door behind me.

‘Yeah, I’ve been a few times but this has been a great trip.’

‘Good, that’s good. Really good.’ I nod too many times, ‘so have you been out today?’

‘No, I just came back from the gym.’ He covers his head with one of the white towels, ‘there’s way too many to get out of here. Is it always like this when you two come here?’

‘Not usually this many. It’s much more because of some rumors floating around.’

‘I thought you would be used to that by now.’ He laughs not looking at me.

Now’s your chance. He’s not looking. Just say it and run out the room. Run fast. Really fast.

‘This rumor is claiming that Chrissy is pregnant.’ I say and the towel immediately drops to the floor, ‘she’s not! That’s the first thing I should’ve told you that she’s not pregnant. Chrissy is very far from being pregnant.’

‘Good.’ He never breaks his stare, ‘anything else?’

‘We were engaged for a second or so?’ I swallow picking at the skin on my finger, ‘last night.’

‘What?’

‘I asked her. Completely spontaneous and she said yes. We got into a bit of an argument and she threw the ring at me so I don’t know where we stand anymore.’

‘You love her that much?’ his intense stare is exchanged with a look of compassion.

‘I do, sir.’ I nod, ‘I love her more than I ever thought I was even capable of.’

‘I’ve seen it in you.’

‘Well with a girl like Chrissy it’s not hard to show it.’

‘I know I’ve said this before but I’m glad she has you in her life.’

‘Believe me, the feeling is mutual.’

‘What was the argument about?’

‘Just me making her mad yet again.’ I shrug, not giving the full truth.

Why ruin such a good moment by saying “I proposed to your daughter because I thought I got her pregnant”.

‘In my experience – you’ll make the woman you love mad unintentionally many, many times.’

‘Yeah, I’m starting to get that.’ I stiff out a laugh, ‘have you talked to Isabelle since that day?’

‘I have,’ he nods with a groan, ‘She’s been watching the kids until I get back to the states. She should be out before I come back.’

‘You know – if they were willing, they could come stay in LA for a week or so. Take em to some of the sights and the beauty that California actually has.’

‘They’ve been asking about you two ever since you left Arizona. I think they’d like that.’

‘I’m sure Chrissy would too. She hasn’t seen them in a while.’

‘I’m glad that I finally got all of my kids together. I gotta thank Donny for passing my number along when I get back too.’

‘He was a little hesitant at first but he warmed up to her. She has that power over people.’ I smile a little thinking of Chrissy, ‘well I’ll let you continue on with your morning.’

‘Feel free to stop by whenever you want.’

‘Thank you sir.’ I nod before heading out of the room.

Now for Chrissy’s mom.

Chrissy’s Point of View

I wake up the next day feeling like a truck hit me. The bright lights cause me to wince as I sit up in my bed. I didn’t remember getting back here.

‘She’s awake.’ Nichole smiles sitting down on the floor in front of her suitcase.

‘Finally.’ Danielle replies sitting down across from me on the bed.

‘How did I get in here?’ I mutter rubbing my sore eyes. ‘What happened?’

‘Well I saw your boyfriend sneaking you back in the room this morning.’ Danielle grins, ‘it was cute.’

‘He did?’ I question getting up from the bed and falling to the floor. ‘I am never drinking again.’

‘You went out last night?’ Nichole inquires folding her clothes.

‘You never go out.’ Danielle adds in as I hunch down over my suitcase.

‘This is why. I feel awful. I really need to talk to Justin.’

‘Wait, Nichole’s about to go to the airport.’

‘You are?’

‘Yeah, I need to get back to Canada so I can talk with my agent and pack for London.’

‘Where’s Ryan?’

‘I haven’t talked to him since the whole restaurant thing and he hasn’t made an effort so why bother him?’ Nichole sighs zipping the large suitcase, ‘the cab’s waiting down the road because of all of the chaos.’

‘We’ll walk with you.’

‘Really you guys don’t have to go out there. It’s like a madhouse.’

‘We want to.’ I nod grabbing my slippers and following the two of them out the door. ‘I’ll be right down.’ I say as they get into the elevator.

I ignore their protests as I hurry down to the room Ryan and Garrett shared. Ryan needed to know that she was leaving. Garrett opens the door, a bit disappointed seeing that it was me.

‘You just missed him.’

‘No, I’m looking for Ryan.’ I say after he lets me into the room, ‘Ryan!’

‘Chrissy, what’s going on?’ he wonders sitting up in his bed.

‘Nichole’s leaving.’

‘WHAT?’ Ryan and Garrett shout in unison before the three of us rush out the room and towards the stairway.