If I Was Your Boyfriend

one hundred-forty eight.

Justin’s Point of View

My heart pounds rapidly as Selena chews on her finger nails anxiously. I open my mouth and close it several times, at a loss of words. I sit there trying to wrap my mind around what possessed Selena to lie straight to my face.

‘What the hell is wrong with you?!’ I blurt out, my voice laced with anger. ‘Do you have any idea what you’ve done?’

‘I didn’t think you would tell her.’ She poorly defends throwing her hands up in the air. ‘You didn’t tell her about us for months!’

‘Us talking behind her back was one thing – I told her that I slept with you! I told her that I took all of her promises and threw them out the window and had sex with you! She was pissed off at me for weeks after that! She’s never going to talk to me again. This is everything you wanted! You’ve always wanted to ruin my life after I broke up with you and now your plan is complete.’ It was like I was just throwing up the words and I couldn’t stop. Word after word angrily flowed from my lips.

‘You are just as guilty as I am! If you were never there, never in my bed, you wouldn’t have had those suspicions. Maybe if you would’ve just stayed with your stupid little girlfriend none of this would’ve happened.’

‘I did stay with my girlfriend! Even when I was you were going out of your way to sabotage what I had with her. You even befriended Jess, who was in my video. You cornered her and forced her to listen to voicemails from months ago that didn’t mean anything anymore. You’ve been against us from the beginning.’

‘I’m sorry that I inconvenienced you so much!’

‘No, you can’t play the guilt card again. You don’t get to do that. I tried to support you and Chrissy actually cared about your feelings but you threw hers around.’

Selena stands up from the chair running a hand through her long, dark hair. Her eyebrows were knitted together with stress and her mouth was turned into a deep frown. I watch from the bed as she wipes away her tears looking up at the oddly painted ceiling. I try to stay hard as stone but the sudden feeling of guilt settles in the pit of my stomach. Don’t get me wrong, I meant every word that I said to Selena but I was starting to regret the way I said it all.

‘I’m just gonna go.’ She croaks grabbing the large purse from the chair.

‘Wait,’ I speak standing to my feet, ‘Let me walk you down to your car.’

The elevator plays some smooth jazz song over the intercom as we travel down to the lobby. I open my mouth one again but close it instantly. Thankfully the elevator was graciously big so we weren’t on top of each other.

‘I’m sorry for blowing up back there. I shouldn’t have talked like that. I was out of line.’

‘No – you were right. I think it’s time that I move on, finally. I had a great guy, Nicholas but all I could think of was you and now I’m regretting it.’

I remembered Nicholas all too well. He was the London guy that attempted to hit on my girlfriend. The same London guy showed up to Tracey’s Halloween party in a less authentic Batman costume than mine. The same London guy that I nearly came to blows with at the VMAs. I hold myself back from saying a snide comment while Selena rambles on.

‘Are you leaving New York?’ I wonder stepping off the elevator walking through the nearly empty lobby.

‘No, I had a meeting here tomorrow so I’ll be in town for a few days but don’t worry I won’t bother you anymore.’

‘Take care of yourself. Despite what you may think, I will always care about you. You and I shared something that neither of us could never forget.’ I throw my arms around her in a friendly manner patting her back.

‘You too, Justin.’ She smiles before stepping into the blacked out car that awaited her.

I pull out my phone stepping back into the hotel. It was now almost ten at night here in New York. I look through the glass at all the bright lights and the people that rushed through the streets. I needed to find Chrissy and explain all of this to her. Pronto.

Chrissy’s Point of View

‘So, what do you think?’ Aiden wonders with a wide smile, ‘Amazing, huh?’

‘If I could marry food, this is what I would want to spend the rest of my life with.’ I beam taking another bite.

‘And you said it was typical New Yorker hype.’

‘I stand corrected.’

‘You are welcome.’ He grins finishing off his food.

After eating Aiden and I decide to see some of the beauty that downtown New York holds. As we were walking a group of aggressive paps hover over us.

‘Chrissy where’s Justin?’

‘Chrissy who’s this new guy you’re with?!’

‘Are you stepping out on Justin?!’

‘Does this mean that the engagement is off?!’

‘What will happen to the baby?!’

‘Guys, can you give us some room?’ Aiden groans placing a hand on my back guiding me through the mass of paps, ‘We’re just trying to get by.’

‘What’s your name?’

‘What’s your name?’ Aiden mocks the loud pap with an amused laugh. ‘Where are you staying tonight?’

‘I don’t know actually. I’m probably going to switch hotels for tonight then head back to LA in the morning.’

‘Is there anything I could say that could change your mind about leaving?’

‘I might end up staying just for the food.’ I tease looking up at Aiden.

I couldn’t help but take in the differences he had with Justin. Where Justin’s eyes were this beautiful deep brown color, Aiden’s were a modest clear-like blue. His hair was jet black, instead of Justin’s golden brown locks. Even their style choices were different. Aiden’s jeans were tighter than Justin’s. He wore a dark navy button up shirt that I’m sure Justin would complain about wearing. The white Converse on his feet were clearly worn on a daily basis.

‘What are you looking at, weirdo?’ he stiffs out a laugh giving me a gentle nudge.

‘Nothing.’ I shake my head with a simple shrug; ‘I better go check into a hotel.’

‘Let’s catch a cab.’ He suggests turning around in the road to extend his long, muscular arm.

Finally we managed to get a cab and head uptown to a hotel not too far away from the one where I shared a room with Justin. Aiden insists on staying to ensure that I made it up to my room all right.

‘Tell me that I’ll see you tomorrow.’ Aiden murmurs leaning against the empty hall.

‘I’m leaving in the morning.’

‘Well at least for breakfast, before you go if I can’t make you stay.’

‘I think breakfast can be arranged.’ I agree with a small smile, ‘if only you can promise that the food will be as incredible as tonight’s.’

‘I promise you nothing but the best.’

‘Goodnight Aiden.’

‘Can I ask you a quick question?’

‘Okay.’

‘I know that the media makes up constant lies about those on top but sometimes those things end up being true. Is there any truth about you being pregnant? I’m sorry for asking but I’ve heard it coming from a few different places and you haven’t made a statement about it yet.’

‘I’m not pregnant.’ I shake my head, ‘It was a huge misunderstanding. As always the media speculates and ends up getting it all wrong.’

‘Would I be a jerk if I said that made me very relieved to hear?’

‘Maybe.’

‘I’m just honest.’ He uses his hand to cup my face.

I rise onto my tiptoes ready to meet his lips halfway. My body felt numb all over. I kept moving forward to his lips and I couldn’t stop myself. My mind screamed, “stop” over and over but my body continued towards its destination.

‘Chrissy!’ A voice calls out to me causing me to yank away from Aiden with wide eyes.

‘What are you doing here?’