If I Was Your Boyfriend

one hundred-fifty.

‘Arrest for what?’ Justin and I question in unison.

I watch helplessly as the officer forces Justin's hands behind his back wrapping the handcuffs around his wrists.

‘You are under arrest for assault. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed to you. Do you understand these rights?’

‘Chrissy.’ He shakes his head not looking at me, ‘don't worry. I'll be okay.’

‘I'm getting you out.’ I promise, with a shaky voice.

Justin is escorted to the back of the squad car and helped inside. I hurry into the black SUV and tell the driver to follow them. My heart raced as we neared the police station. I didn't know how any of this worked or who to call or even if Justin wanted me to call anyone.

‘Hi.’ I sniffle wiping the tears from my eyes as I approach the counter, ‘I'm looking for Justin Bieber.’

‘He's in back getting processed.’ The man with the powder white mustache informs me.

‘When will I be able to see him?’

‘Tomorrow. He's going to processed tonight and in the morning he'll go in front of the judge to determine his bail amount if he does get the option of bail.’

‘He has to sleep here?’ I question with wide eyes, ‘he can't.’

‘I'm sorry. That's the best that I can tell you. You're going to have to leave now. Court's at eight.’

‘Can I please talk to him first? Even for a minute.’

‘I'll see what I can do.’ He sighs sliding off of his stool.

‘Thank you.’

About an hour later Justin was being hauled to the front of the police station. His hands and feet were bound together with shackles. An inhuman noise escapes from my lips as I stand. He holds his head down as he pulls his lip between his teeth.

‘It's not that bad.’ He promises quietly, ‘Don't you worry about me Chris.’

‘What do you mean don’t worry?’ My lip quivers as I grab a hold of his hand, ‘This is all my fault.’

‘No it’s not. I did it and now I have to own up to my actions. I don’t regret it actually. It was worth it. I got to knock that smug look off his face.’

‘Justin.’ I scold quietly, ‘Do you want me to call anyone for you?’

‘No..’ he immediately replies with serious eyes, ‘do not call anyone. Listen – just call David Rixten. My lawyer. Tell him that its an emergency and to get down here quick.’

‘You don’t want to call Pattie? Or Jeremy? Scooter?’

‘No, Chrissy. Promise me that you won’t call them. The guard told me there’s a good chance that I’ll get bail tomorrow morning so there’s no need for them to rush across the country to get here.’

‘Are you sure?’

‘I’m positive.’ He nods, clearly trying to keep a brave face.

‘Time’s up.’ The large guard in the corner calls out looking at his watch, ‘I gotta take you back.’

‘Okay…’ Justin nods looking back at me, ‘I love you so much.’

‘I love you Justin.’ I wipe the oncoming tears from my eyes looking up at him.

‘Don’t cry.’ He coos caringly, ‘I need you to do me a big, big favor Chrissy. I need you to be strong – for me. That’s the only thing that’s going to get me through this. If you’re strong and you stay behind me. I can’t do it without you. Can you do that for me?’

‘Yes.’

‘That’s my girl. I’ll see you in the morning. Bye Chrissy.’ Justin kisses my forehead before being escorted towards the back of the building.

I head out of the building just to run into dozens of paparazzi. The word was out. Justin was going to be devastated when he found out about this. I rush back into the police station shielding my face from the bright cameras.

‘How did they find out?!’ I drop my purse on the desk, ‘Someone in this building leaked this to the paparazzi.’

‘I can assure you no such thing. My men and women on the force are held to a certain standard. I can get you out on the side of the building, is that okay with you?’

‘Please?’

‘Just sit tight.’

Fifteen minutes later I was surrounded by five police officers and we all hurried out the side door to the awaiting SUV. The officers kept the paps back long enough for the driver to make it out of the alleyway. The ride back to the hotel was never-ending and painfully quiet. The driver stepped over eggshells with everything he said. I was like a self-destructing land mine that he didn’t want to step on. My stomach ached and my head throbbed rendering me silent. I just wanted to fall asleep mentally but physically I was wide-awake. Before I left the jail Justin scribbled down David Rixten’s personal cell number on a piece of paper. I dial the number and wait as it rings.

‘This is David. Who’s calling me at this hour?’ Some man groggily answers clearing his throat.

‘I know it’s late and I’m really sorry. My name’s Chrissy Thorton and I was calling on behalf of my boyfriend, your client, Justin Bieber. He’s gotten into some trouble and he’s being held in a jail here in New York. He told me to call you and let you know what’s going on.’

‘On what charges?’

‘Assault.’

‘I am getting up now. Text me the address and I will call you the moment I land. Give me a few hours.’

‘Thank you so much.’ I breathe hanging the phone up.

My finger slowly graces the Twitter app as the blue screen pops up. I know that I shouldn’t look but I just had to know what the fans were saying right now. I’m pretty sure they’re going out of their minds. As expected there were several worldwide trending topics: Justin Bieber, Chrissy Thorton, Bieber Arrested, and so on. No one knew the story; they were all just speculating the images that surfaced the Internet. Everyone had their own thoughts and opinions. Their own side of the story even though they weren’t there. TMZ was leading the way with all of their ridiculous theories. Fans were arguing with non-fans. Fans were arguing with other fans.

@ChrissyThorton: do not believe everything you read.

And with that I exited from the Twitter app as we pulled into the hotel’s drop off section. I thank the driver before going up to my room quickly avoiding all of the whispers and stares. People recorded me as I walked through the halls and stepped off of the elevator. A few hours later I receive a call from David Rixten informing me that he was in the lobby. It was now seven in the morning and I hadn’t been to sleep yet. I quickly shower and change going to the lobby to meet David. A man dressed in a fancy suit with a head full of silver hair stood in the lobby speaking into his iPhone.

‘Hello, I’m Chrissy.’ I introduce myself once he was finished with his phone call.

‘Hello – David. Are you going to be attending the bail hearing?’

‘Yes. Of course.’ I nod following him out into the mass of paps and fans.

David helps me into the car and quickly closes the door after sliding inside. He shakes his head bewildered by the current uproar. We were at the courthouse within twenty minutes.

‘How long have you represented Justin?’ I ask breaking into the silence.

‘I’ve been with him from the very beginning. Scooter brought me on early on and I’ve been here ever since. Even though I’m not needed very often I’m always available for Justin Bieber.’ He nods taking his eyes off of some file, ‘Does this always happen?’ David gestures to the sea of people that stood outside the courtroom eagerly.

‘Not usually. It’s been really bad the last couple of hours with the media and all finding out.’

The doors of the courthouse open and I follow David into the courtroom. I take a seat in one of the very few rows to get a good view of Justin as he comes in. Justin strolls in amongst about a dozen other people. He was the smallest of the group, which didn’t surprise me. He spots me and gives me a comforting nod. Typical Justin – even though this was all about him he was still trying to make sure I was okay. Luckily the judge decides to talk to the each of them in alphabetically order by last name. He speaks to Justin and Justin alone before David makes his way up to the front of the room to represent him. Some words that I couldn’t decipher were exchanged back and forth for about thirty minutes. The judge slaps his gavel against the wood causing Justin to throw his arms around David. He is taken back to his seat and David slides in next to me.

‘They’re releasing him. He’s going to pay his own bail in full.’

‘Thank goodness.’ I throw my head back holding back a squeal of joy.

David and I leave the courtroom while Justin goes to sign some papers and change into his own clothes.

‘I’m so glad that Justin told me to call you. I don’t think it would’ve been the same if I found someone in the phone book,’ I confess quietly, ‘David?’

I then look over to see David Rixten clutching his chest as he slides down against the wall.