If I Was Your Boyfriend

one hundred sixty-six.

‘Mr. Bieber, Miss. Thorton – dinner is ready.’ I overhear from the other room while I’m slipping into a new dress I got a few weeks ago.

‘Thank you, we’ll be out shortly.’ Justin chimes in return.

I look at my reflection in the mirror, feeling incredibly anxious. Justin and I hadn’t been on a date in what felt like an eternity. It was sort of like we were starting over completely. I run my clammy hands together before twisting the doorknob, emerging from the bathroom.

‘Wow,’ Justin speaks looking up, in the middle of tying his shoe, ‘You look beyond words.’

‘Thank you,’ I smile admiring his black dress shirt and black jeans, ‘you look “beyond words” too.’

‘Shall we?’ he grins extending his arm out to me.

‘Let’s.’ I happily take his arm, allowing him to lead the way down the path. The tiny white candles were still burning all the way to the table set for two.

‘Welcome.’ A man in white speaks as Justin pulls my chair out for me like the perfect gentleman. ‘We’ve prepared an excellent meal for the two of you tonight – please, let me know if there is anything that I could do for you.’ With that, he disappears silently hovering dozens of feet away.

‘How did you find this place?’ I look around at the emptiness that surrounded us.

‘I made a few calls, specifically asking for seclusion. I wanted this to be perfect.’

‘It’s definitely perfect.’ I look at the water just a few feet away from us, it seemed to go on for ages.

‘I cannot get over how good you look tonight.’ Justin speaks, running a hand over the back of his neck, along his new tattoo.

‘You’re sweet.’

‘Would you be up for testing the pool out after dinner?’

‘I would love that. I just need to freshen up first.’

After dinner, I slip back into the bathroom to remove my makeup and brush my teeth. I slip into a bathing suit, wrapping myself in the complimentary towel. The square-shaped pool seemed much smaller now that I was in it. The resort definitely designed it for two people to get, close. Justin drops his towel to the floor before sliding down into the pool beside me.

‘You know, for the last couple of months when we didn’t get back together I thought that we were over for good.’ I murmur allowing my hand to dance back and forth underwater. ‘Did you think we would be over permanently?’

‘No,’ Justin shakes his head resting his chin on his arms against the pool’s edge, ‘I didn’t know how I was going to do it or when I was going to do it, I just knew that one day I was going to get you back.’

‘Can we not break up again? I don’t think I could handle anymore.’

‘I know that I’ve promised a hundred times over but I’m not going to hurt you again, I made a promise to myself that I’m not messing up again. I can’t lose you again, it’s too damn hard.’

The air blew warmly as I settled next to Justin. I look up at the large moon, its light bounced off all the water in front of us. I wrap my arms around Justin’s torso under the water, wanting to keep him with me like this forever. It was actually perfect. I hadn’t felt “perfect” in months – I missed this feeling.

‘I love you.’ Justin turns in my arms to place his hands around my waist.

‘I love you too.’ I smile pressing my forehead to his, ‘so much.’

Soundlessly, Justin presses his wet lips to mine while using his arms to support me in the water. I rest one arm on his toned shoulder while using my other hand to play with his hair. This, this is what I missed. Not that a few weeks ago in his room wasn’t amazing but this felt special. It felt different actually, but in the best way.

‘So do you want to get out?’ he whispers into the kiss.

I nod in return, climbing out of the water in front of him. Justin leaps out, wrapping his arms around my waist. A giggle falls from my mouth as Justin carries me across the room to the bed. My back falls against the warm sheets while Justin’s slender fingers slip in between mine. I run my hands through his wet hair, completely messing it up in the process. Justin briefly leaves my lips to leave soft, thoughtful kisses on my skin.

‘I smell like pool.’ I mutter grabbing a hold of Justin’s tattooed arm.

‘I think we can fix that.’ He smirks coyly, rising from the bed before hiking me over his shoulder.

Justin’s Point of View

‘What are you doing?’ Chrissy laughs the moment I set her down on the counter.

‘You’ll see.’ I glance back at her briefly, reaching over into the tub to turn the water on.

‘A bath for two?’ She wiggles her eyebrows mischievously, kicking her legs back and forth. ‘I don’t remember the last time we did that.’

‘What do you say we make up for lost time?’ I grab a hold of the damp strap on her top, giving it a tug. ‘It’s been months since we did something like this.’

‘I thought you would never ask.’

‘Well, I’m sorry for making you wait.’



Chrissy lies beside me, nestled against my arm, an innocent smiles plays on her lips. I press my lips to her forehead while tightening my grip on her.

‘You have that thinking face, what are you thinking?’ I wonder.

‘That just seemed so much like the first time.’ She confesses, ‘remember when we were in the Bahamas? The water. The beautiful location. Everything about that night was perfect.’’

‘I could never forget that. I still remember how nervous I was.’

‘You were nervous?’ Chrissy glances at me with amused eyes. ‘Why would you be nervous?’

‘Because, it was my first time being with you like that. I thought for sure I was sweating.’ I stiff out a laugh recalling that night all too well. ‘I didn’t want to disappoint.’

‘You did not disappoint, trust me.’

I smile, pleased with myself with a brief sigh of relief. Chrissy buries her face into my arm through a short, shy laugh. It was pretty cute how she still gets embarrassed around me even after all the stuff we've been through.

Chrissy’s Point of View

Justin and I stayed up to the wee hours of the morning talking about the things we did in the months we’ve been apart. He tells me about the tattoos he got and all the places he went to promote his album. He doesn't talk about himself for long before he asks about the movie months ago and wonders when it comes out on DVD. He nods his head and asks several questions while I fill him in on the months I spent without him. The next morning, I wake up to see Justin talking to someone at the door. He pulls in a tray of food and leaves it next to the table in the room.

‘I didn’t mean for that to wake you.’ He apologizes sitting on the side of the bed, ‘do you want some breakfast?’

‘It does smell really good.’ I pull Justin’s dress shirt from last night over my shoulder and join him at the table. ‘Wow, it looks even better out there during the day.’ I gaze at the greenish-blue water. ‘It’s so quiet.’

‘Yeah, I don’t have to worry about pictures of me leaking like in Bora Bora.’ Justin stiffs out a genuine laugh already grabbing several items at a time from the tray.

I make a face at the mentioning of Bora Bora. I could still picture Justin and his fling Jayde strolling around the city, her arms wrapped around him. It was practically burned in my mind.

‘Let’s not mention Bora Bora, okay?’ I eye him from across the table with an oncoming smile, ‘ever again.’

‘Deal.’ He speaks with a grin, ‘ever again.’