If I Was Your Boyfriend

one hundred sixty-seven.

I hold Justin’s hand as we explore the vacant island. The water brushes against our feet, while walking in the sand. From the distance, I could see the other couple that was staying here dancing in the sand.

‘They’re cute.’ I smile, giving Justin a gentle nudge.

‘I think we could give them a run for their money in that department.’ Justin boosts, with a wide grin.

‘Hey, it’s not a competition.’ I remind him, as Justin gives me a firm squeeze.

‘Yeah I know, but if it was – we are definitely the cuter couple. What do you say we go introduce ourselves?’

‘But what if they don’t want to be bothered?’ I hesitate as Justin pull us closer to the couple swaying with one another.

‘We’ll be quick – besides I want to walk past them to see the rest of this place.’

‘Okay.’

Justin pulls me behind him, while I still drag my feet. The couple pulls apart as we grow closer to where they stood.

‘Hello,’ Justin cheers as the charmer he is, ‘I’m Justin and this is my beautiful girlfriend Chrissy. We were just walking along and thought we’d say hello.’

‘Great to meet you – I’m Derek and this gorgeous woman right here is my new bride, Charlie.’ The man gushes, unable to keep his hands off the woman beside him. She happily giggles resting a hand on her husband’s chest while extending the other impeccably manicured hand out to us.

‘Congratulations!’ Justin and I beam in unison.

‘Thank you, thank you. What brings you two out to such a beautiful place like this?’

‘The seclusion,’ Justin answers, ‘I’ve heard stories about it so I thought that we would come out and see what it’s about.’

‘Likewise. I know this is very last minute but what would you two say to having dinner with us tonight? I could ask the staff to set a table for four along the beach.’

Justin eyes me for approval and I politely shrug in response.

‘Great it’s settled! What do you say to 8 o’clock?’ Charlie throws her long hair over her shoulder, keeping her hand on her husband.

‘We’ll see you then.’ I conclude, as we wave goodbye to Derek and Charlie to finish our adventure around the island. ‘They were nice.’

‘Yeah, they were.’ Justin agrees wrapping his tattooed arms around my waist, ‘Have I told you how much I love you today?’

‘Not today.’ I tease, rubbing my hand up and down his arm.

‘Well, I love you so so so much.’

‘I’m so happy we did this.’

‘So am I.’

After wandering around on the island, Justin and I go swimming in our private pool before lunch came. I take a picture of him from across the table. He was looking off staring at the water beside him. It came out perfectly.

‘Hey.’ He smiles just as I take another. I couldn’t comprehend how someone could be so beautiful in a candid shot.

Before I knew it, it was time to go have dinner on the sand with Derek and Charlie. I slip into a thin, floor-length white dress while Justin pulls on a pair of shorts and a blue short-sleeved button up.

‘Now you look like my beautiful bride.’ Justin gleams from across the room extending an arm out to me, ‘I do not know how I scored Chrissy Thorton – I must be the luckiest man on the planet.’

Justin and I walk hand-in-hand over to the table to meet them. Charlie comes out with her long arms draped arm Derek’s lower back. They laugh the entire walk to the table. Justin looks over at me with amused eyes as they flop down at the table. Derek and Charlie were actually a great couple. We spent the entire night getting to know the two of them. Derek was a high-profiled lawyer based in Chicago while Charlie was a devoted kindergarten teacher. They told us the story of how they met at a friend’s wedding a few years ago and been together ever since. Justin and Derek bonded over their love of hockey while I talked to Charlie about growing up California. We even made plans to go cave-tubing before we left the island.

‘I had a good night with them but I am so glad that I have you to myself.’ Justin unbuttons his shirt as he kicks the door closed. ‘You look really good in that dress. It was practically torture looking at you in it all night.’

‘You like it?’ I give him a taunting twirl.

‘Very much but honestly I’m interested in seeing how it looks around your ankles.’ Justin takes one quick stride across the room to lift me in his arms. A loud, surprised laugh falls from my lips as he tosses me onto the bed, peppering me with kisses.

‘Eager, are we?’ I muttered, copying Justin’s words from a few weeks back.

‘I am very, very eager.’ He smirks, connecting his lips back to my skin. ‘So very eager.’

Justin’s Point of View

I look down at Chrissy, instantly knowing that I had to be the luckiest guy. I mean, sure there’s the people who hit the lottery and end up with millions instantly but she was so much better than any pile of millions anyone could win. I had Chrissy Thorton – she was all mine. What more could anyone ask for.

‘What?’ she frowns, quickly thinking she was doing something wrong when she was doing everything perfectly. ‘What’s the matter?’

‘Nothing, nothing.’ I assure her, lowering myself to kiss her forehead, ‘I’m just so damn happy.’ I laugh to myself causing her to smile. ‘God, I love you.’



Chrissy drapes her arms around me as she falls asleep. I admire her for a solid five minutes, playing with her hair and kissing her hand before falling asleep. The next morning, there was a firm, loud knock on the door. I stumble out of the bed before it wakes Chrissy up.

‘So sorry to disrupt you but Mr. Scooter Braun seems very persistent.’ The resort’s manager holds his phone in his palm.

I hesitate taking the phone, assuming Scooter is just calling to chew me out some more about not rehearsing this close to the tour. I did the steps a thousand times over – it was all practically burned in my head. I agreed to all the stage production and love how the design came out. At this point all I really had to do was show up in Seattle.

‘Hello?’ I finally say as the manager of the resort clears his throat, awkwardly. ‘Scooter, what’s up?’

‘Okay, I know that you’re having your time with Chrissy and all but I just wanted you to hear this from me before you check your phone or turn on the TV.’

‘Uh oh – what is it?’

‘Well, I don’t know how to sugar-coat it so, your former friend Jayde is going around saying that you got her pregnant and refuse to help raise the kid.’

‘What?’ I shout, uncontrollably, causing Chrissy to uncomfortably roll in bed. ‘She hasn’t told me anything like that.’ I defend stepping out to the deck, closing the door behind me. Then again, I did have her blocked. I try to think back to the last few months without Chrissy wondering if it was possible.

‘I just wanted to let you know that I’m handling it down here. I’m talking with the lawyers and they’re going to take care of this. Just focus on relaxing and getting ready for the tour. I’m taking care of it.’

‘Scooter, how am I supposed to relax when there’s someone out their slandering my name yet again?’

‘Listen, I am handling it. Before you get back I’ll have all of our options. We’ve handled this before. Don’t worry. Take care, alright?’

‘Alright. Keep me updated.’

I silently hand the phone back over to the manager and go inside. Chrissy was still fast asleep in the bed, wrapped up tightly in the sheets. A sick feeling rested heavily in the pit of my stomach. Of course, the moment I got her back something else happens. I used to think that the universe or whatever was on our side but lately, it hates to see us win.