If I Was Your Boyfriend

one hundred sixty-nine.

Justin’s Point of View

A part of me contemplated on assuring Chrissy that it was nothing that she needed to worry about while another part of me wondered how pissed she’d get if I lied about it. I just got her back and I didn’t want this to jeopardize what we were working on.

‘Justin.’ Chrissy repeated, I’m guessing because I was taking to long to cough out a decent response. ‘Did I just hear what I think I heard?’

‘That depends, what did you hear?’ I offer a laugh which Chrissy didn’t return. I could tell how serious she was right now. ‘Okay, apparently Jayde is going around saying that I got her pregnant while we were together and now I’m refusing to take care of the baby.’

‘What?’ Chrissy blinks at me, immediately sitting down beside me. ‘Did she tell you?’

‘No, the first I heard about it was from Scooter but for some reason she wants to trash my name all over the world.’

‘Do you,’ Chrissy pauses pursing her lips. I could tell whatever she was about to ask, she was definitely afraid of the answer, ‘do you think there’s any truth behind it?’

‘Well,’ I take my two fingers, pressing on each side of my nose, ‘I thought I was being careful but I honestly don’t know.’

‘Okay.’ She nods several times as she stands to her feet.

I was just about to ask her if that was a good or bad “okay” when there was a knock on the door. Part of me was thankful that we had a moment of interruption from this conversation and the subject of Jayde period. From where I sat, I could see Charlie and Derek hovering the door. I had completely forgot how we made plans with them. Chrissy looks from the door to me as I stand to walk over to it.

‘How’s it going, neighbor?’ Charlie beams happily, while keeping her arms around her husband. It was evident that they were still deep in their newlywed phase.

‘Good, and you guys?’ I wonder as Chrissy joins my side at the door to greet them.

‘So, we’ve come to take you up on your offer to go cave-tubing with us in the morning.’

I immediately look down at Chrissy for approval. Honestly, as nice as they were I didn’t want to share my entire “private” vacation with them. I wanted Chrissy to myself before we part ways in the states. Maybe we could just go do this and be done with it.

‘We’d love to.’ She answers after I shoot her a subtle shrug, silently telling her to decide if we go or not.

‘Great. We’ll all meet out on the sand first thing in the morning with the guide.’

‘See you then.’ I conclude shutting the door as they walk off towards their area of the island. ‘Do you ever wonder if they’re just too upbeat?’ I ask, hoping to change the subject.

‘Maybe,’ Chrissy shrugs in response, ‘but if I just got married I probably would be too.’

Knowing us and our luck, after we got married we would have ten different people waiting on our honeymoon to mess everything up. Chrissy wordlessly climbs into bed beside me after rubbing her legs with that lotion she wears all the time, I could never get tired of the smell of it.

‘I’m going to shower; do you want to do something before dinner when I’m finished?’

‘Okay.’ She nods settling on her pillow, looking up from her phone.

While I’m in the shower, I let the hot water drop on my skin as I stare at the wall in front of me. I hope Scooter is on top of this. When I finish my shower, Chrissy is sound asleep in the bed curled up under the sheets. I stiff out a laugh looking at the clock that read 4:21 PM. I’m guessing the whole hiking up the cliff thing tired her out. I carefully slide in bed next to her where I’m immediately trapped under her arm.

Chrissy’s Point of View

‘Jay.’ I mutter looking around, it was now dark out. I could hear the faint sound of wind and water outside our villa. I didn’t even remember falling asleep. I look around to see Justin in a deep slumber beside me. It was nearly 8:30 at night. Just as I get up to slip into the bathroom, there was a knock on the door.

‘Good evening, Miss. Chrissy – I just wanted to inform you that dinner will be served momentarily. Shall I have it brought to your room?’

‘Yes please.’ I thank the manager before shutting the door as he leaves.

Justin doesn’t move an inch, his dyed hair sprawled messily over the pillow while he sleeps on his stomach. I finally decide to wake him once the food gets to the room. While he’s talking to the chef I began to absentmindedly admire him. His smooth, creamy skin drenched with dark swirls of ink. A subtle sign of a mustache appearing from his lack of shaving. His dyed hair, messy from his slumber. He takes a brief second from his conversation to send me a silent smile from across the room. Just when I think our relationship has taken everything it could possibly handle, something else shows up with different plans. I knew that we didn’t finish our conversation about Jayde earlier but I honestly wasn’t rushing to do it. It seemed like such as waste of this amazing place to talk about the drama we left back home. He didn’t want the stress and neither did I. After dinner, Justin and I slip outside to go to our private pool.

‘Do we have to go back, ever?’ I ask aloud after a while. ‘I mean couldn’t we just live here forever where no one could find us?’

‘All we need is Rocky. Maybe fly our parents out once a month or something.’ He stiffs out a laugh, ‘But I think we could pull it off.’

‘Good because I never want to go back.’

‘Why not?’ Justin wonders briefly looking over at me before directing his deep brown eyes back to the water.

‘Everything just gets so messed up and complicated when we’re in the states. LA, New York, Arizona – I don’t think we have the best track record there.’

‘Honestly, I think Verona and here are the only places where we do have a good track record.’ Justin lets out a laugh, swinging his arms back and forth under the water. ‘I used to think Paris but with all that stuff with the engagement and Carter, that had to go.’

‘The trial’s coming up soon.’ I mutter, instantly getting an eerie feeling. ‘I hear he’s pleading insanity.’

‘Don’t worry about it, we got this. Carter will be put away forever, watch.’

I spent another hour or so in the pool with Justin before crawling into bed and going to sleep. The next morning, Justin wakes me up bright and early to go out and meet Charlie and Derek.

‘Are you guys ready for this?’ Derek cheers jumping up and down as he clapped his hands.

‘Always. So. Perky.’ Justin murmurs as I hold back a laugh. ‘Even at six in the morning.’

‘Be nice.’ I warn with a smile wrapping my arms around his torso just as the guide approaches us.

We get into a small van not too far from the sand and drive for about twenty minutes before coming to a stop near a couple of bright blue floating inflatable tubes. The cave-tubing guide goes into great detail about the cautious we need to take once we’re in the caves. He said something along the lines of there’s been causalities because people didn’t take it seriously. I grab a hold of Justin’s hand and he returns the gesture by giving me a tight squeeze.

‘It’s going to be okay.’ He whispers, sensing my nervousness.

After getting our life-jackets and big bulky light-attached helmets we were free to climb into our tubes.

‘Alright, everyone – we’re here and we’re ready to go into this massive cave. I don’t know how this is going to turn out but I’m sure it’ll be good’ Justin speaks with his go-pro camera attached right behind the flashlight on his helmet. ‘Are you excited Charlie and Derek? By the way those are our island neighbors Charlie and Derek.’

‘We’ve heard tons of stories about this so we’re hoping it lives up to the hype.’ Derek answers diving into his tube right before Charlie gracefully glides onto hers.

‘And you Chris?’

‘There’s a lot of nerves right now.’ I nod, placing my hands on my hips, ‘a lot.’

‘I’m right here with you, babe. Hang on, I’m gonna get into my tube.’ He laughs easily sliding down onto his tube and extending a hand out to me. ‘Okay, time to get on yours.’

I nod leaping down into my tube before I had time to talk myself out of it. Justin’s adventurous attitude was definitely starting to rub off on me.

‘Yay, she did it! We are conquering fears out here ladies and gentlemen. I am really proud of you.’ Justin cheers, ‘How did that feel Chrissy?’

‘Really good.’ I beam, slowly feeling myself start to float right behind Charlie and Derek, ‘here we go!’

‘As you can see guys it is really dark in here at this point so I need to turn my flashlight on.’ Justin speaks to his fans; in the video he plans to upload as soon as we get back to the villa. ‘You’re all cave-tubing with us right now.’

‘This is insane.’ I gawk looking around in amazement.

‘I just love Belize so much. I’m never leaving. I am just going to officially move here so I can just do stuff like this, every single day.’ Justin laughs spinning in his tube, ‘I love you Belize.’



‘I got a text from Scooter.’ Justin announces when we finally make it back to the villa, ‘looks like there is something we could do about this whole Jayde situation after all.’