If I Was Your Boyfriend

seventy-four.

I woke up in the bed of my new place. Our place. ‘Justin?’ I call out, sleep thick in my voice. I kick my feet around the bed and climb out. It was dark out. Oddly enough I didn't remember falling asleep. ‘Justin?’ I repeat clearer this time. I walk down the stairs with Rocky trailing behind at my feet. The digital clock on the wall by the stairwell read 8:52.

don't worry i fed Rocky. be back soon. I love you. - Justin

I touch the note on the kitchen counter before sitting down on the sofa. I flip through the hundreds of channels and finally stop on some old black and white movie.

Front Door

The alarm system sounds through the house signaling the front door had been open. Justin walks in with bags of food which immediately filled the air. ‘You're up.’ he smiles kicking the door closed with his foot, ‘I brought Thai take out. Are you hungry?’

‘I am actually.’ I slid to the kitchen and sit down at the table, ‘thanks.’ I dig in the bag getting out my usual. ‘It smells amazing.’

‘I was half-tempted to eat it in the car.’ Justin jokes as he sits down at the table with me, ‘how'd you sleep?’

‘I slept fine. I didn't remember falling asleep really.’

‘We were laying down and next thing I know we were both sleep. I woke up about an hour ago and went to get some food. Couldn't wake you since you looked so peaceful.’

‘I love you.’ I laugh leaning over the table to kiss him.

‘I love you.’ he repeats happily as he unwraps his food. Justin and I eat our food talking about things we should get for the apartment. I went upstairs to shower while Justin sat on the sofa watching a basketball game.

~*~

The next morning Justin is in the shower while I get ready to go. ‘Come on Rock.’ I let him out of the backdoor for fresh air. He trots around in the backyard until he finds a new spot.

‘Ready baby.’ Justin calls as he jogs down the stairs. I make sure to refill rocky's dish before grabbing my purse and heading out to the garage with Justin.

‘We'll be back soon.’ I say to Rocky before closing and locking the door. We climb into the Batmobile and Justin backs out the garage.

‘Target right?’

‘Yep.’ I nod going over the list I wrote last night. Justin drives for about thirty minutes before we're in the Target parking lot.

‘Here I'll let you out at the front and find a parking space.’ Justin pulls the car along the main entrance.

‘Okay.’ I begin to climb out of the car.

‘And you left the house without your boot again.’ Justin eyes me with a knowing look.

‘Darn. I forgot.’ I hurried out the car before Justin could get started on a rant on how i should wear that dreadful boot even though my foot feels fine. I grab one of the bright red baskets and head to the toiletries. I place my usual body soap, hand soap, toilet paper, tooth paste into the basket before Justin finds me.

‘When are you going to the doctor?’ Justin wonders leaning against the basket.

‘I should make an appointment.’ I reply not looking up from the products in front of me.

‘Alright, I'll drive you, if you want.’

‘Of course I want you to.’

‘So, I’ve decided to do a video for All That Matters.’ Justin looks over at me with a smile. All That Matters was one of Justin’s songs from his Music Journals, which happened to be my favorite song yet.

‘Really?’ I smile back, ‘do you have any ideas yet?’

‘I was thinking, maybe, you’d be the video girl again?’ Justin wonders hopefully. I open my mouth to immediately agree but I stop myself. Besides the fact that I haven’t been cleared for dancing just yet, I couldn’t help but think of Justin’s fans who aren’t exactly fans of me yet. They wouldn’t like the idea very much and I already see Justin all the time anyway. I don’t feel like I would have to be in the video. We already have a video together. ‘What do ya say? You and me, where it all started?’

‘Tempting.’ I say as I watch his face fall, ‘I just haven’t been cleared yet.’

‘Says the girl who refuses to wear her doctor-provided boot.’ Justin teases as he kisses my cheek, ‘we’ll get you cleared first and then talk about the video.’

‘Okay.’ I say looking away from him as he starts pushing the basket towards the check-out aisles.

‘You sit in the car while I put this stuff in the trunk.’ Justin says opening the passenger door for me. I climb inside and wait as he puts the bags in one by one. I decide to call the doctor to see if he’ll get me in sometime today. The nurse happily told me that I could be seen now.

‘Justin, the doctor’s free right now.’ I call towards the trunk of the car.

‘What was that?’ he calls back before the trunk slams closed. Justin jogs the basket back into the store before slipping in beside me. ‘I didn’t hear you, what’d you say?’

‘The doctor is free now. The nurse he doesn’t have another patient for another 30 minutes if we can hurry over there.’

‘Alright.’ Justin nods and punches in the name of the doctor’s office into his navigation system.

Routing

The navigation system says in the most annoying voice, she sounds seductive. Justin likes her for some reason. He just likes to hear her talk I guess.

Turn right in 300 feet.

Whose idea was it to make the navigational system sound so flirtatious?

Justin smirks over at me obviously catching onto my annoyance. ‘Now now, be nice to Isabella.’

Yes, he named his navigation system Isabella.

I playfully roll my eyes at him as he continues driving. Ten minutes later we were walking into the doctor’s office. Turns out we weren’t far away at all.

‘Come on in Chrissy.’ The nurse ushers me into the back room. I pull Justin along with me into the small hallway. ‘The doctor will be right in.’

About five or so minutes later the doctor walks into the room and shakes our hands, ‘how are you doing today Miss. Thorton?’

‘Good.’ I simply reply repositioning myself on the exam table. I hated how the paper would always get crinkled and make those awkward sounds.

‘Good to hear. How’s the foot? I see you’re not wearing the boot to keep it stabilized.’

‘Well, that’s the thing. It feels great. So I decided to not be so dependent on it.’

‘Alright, well we’ll get some x-rays and see how everything’s looking on the inside.’

‘Right this way Chrissy.’ The nurse leads me to a room down the hall and takes some quick x-rays of my foot turned at different angles. ‘All good. Thanks.’

‘Thank you.’ I don’t bother waiting for her to get the x-rays before I go back into the room where Justin is waiting patiently. The doctor comes back with the nurse not too long afterwards and holds up the new x-rays on the board as they dim the lights.

‘Okay so it is looking pretty good over in this area. I’m more concerned about it’s looking around over here in your metatarsal area. Have you been feeling any discomfort at all over in this region?’ he asks as he puts pressure on my foot. I slightly squeeze Justin’s hand as a reflex.

‘I did when you pressed down on it.’

‘That’s what I suspected. I say come back in about two weeks. Take it easy, no heels, no running, no dancing, and wear your boot, okay? It’s bulky and annoying but it helps and it’s better than a cast.’

‘I’ll make sure she does.’ Justin laughs.

‘Good. Make sure she takes it easy as well.’

‘You got it.’

‘See you in two weeks Chrissy.’

‘See you in two weeks.’ I say before he closes the door.

‘Alright Chrissy, do you still have some of your pain medication?’ the nurse wonders looking at the computer screen.

‘I’ve rarely taken it. No need for refills.’ I insist as we stand up.

‘Sounds good. We’ll see you back in two weeks. Have a great day.’

‘Are you hungry?’ Justin wonders getting onto the highway.

‘Not really.’ I reply, ‘just tired.’

‘Okay, sleep for a bit. We won’t be home for another forty-five minutes.’ Justin holds my hand with his free one while the other stays wrapped around the steering wheel.

~*~

‘Chris, wake up.’ Justin breathes against my face before I feel his lips press against my forehead. Instead of seeing the outside of apartment. I see the inside of the living room. The smell of food fills my nostrils as I sit up on the sofa, ‘I made dinner.’

‘You made dinner?’ I question looking at him.

‘Hey don’t sound so surprised.’ He laughs as he lifts me from the sofa.

‘I’m sorry. What did you make?’

‘I made pasta.’ Justin smiles proudly. ‘I even fried some grilled chicken.’

‘Well it smells amazing.’ I smile joining Justin at the table.