If I Was Your Boyfriend

eighty.

Justin’s Point of View

Her dad? How could she have met her dad? She’s never talked about the man seeing how he walked out on the family before she knew what was going on. But now she met the guy?

‘I think I met my dad.’ She repeats, clearly stunned.

I just imagine Chrissy standing there, alone, ready to pass out. I should be there holding her. Instead I’m here, being the screw up I am. She’s thrown me with all this dad stuff so it didn’t even occur to me that she was speaking to me again. I felt like I could breathe again knowing she wasn’t hurt, physically that is.

‘What do you mean think?’ I ask, confused.

‘I-I.. I don’t know. I came to this diner and some man sat down beside me-…’

‘Okay that’s not creepy at all.’ I blurt out, cutting her off. ‘Oh hey look there’s Chrissy Thorton maybe I’ll try and get some money from her.’

The line is dead again. I start the car up and place the phone on my lap after putting it on speaker. We were now talking for nearly fifteen minutes. I have never actually talked this long on the phone since we were first starting out. When I wanted to know everything possible about her. Sure we talk on the phone now but it was when she was reminding me to get something for her or just in between meetings. We usually communicate through Skype or texts. Now I know how she takes her coffee, how crazy she sleeps at night, how she absolutely hates mayo, how she loves to move, how she hates when I chew my gum with my mouth open, how she adores all my tattoos, how she’s this insane animal-lover, how she can’t go to bed without making the bed just to get back in it.

‘Where are you?’ she asked cutting into my lists of why I love Chrissy Thorton. ‘It sounds like you’re driving.’

‘I’m just leaving the phone store.’ I answer pulling out onto traffic.

‘You know I hate when you talk on the phone and drive.’

Another reason why I love Chrissy Thorton.

‘Tell me more about this guy you met.’

‘You mean before you cut me off?’ she asks, feelings hurt.

I get over into another lane to take the next right. Traffic in Los Angeles never slowed up if you ask me. It was always this annoyingly long line of cars.

‘I’m sorry Chrissy. I’m just a little skeptical. Please, continue.’

‘Okay.’ She breathes deeply into the phone, ‘I was at a diner when this man came in and sat at the table next to me. I overheard how he didn’t have enough money to cover his meal. He only needed a few more to pay for it. I offer to help and that’s when we started talking.’

That sounds like such a scam. I bite my tongue, not interrupting her again.

‘He didn’t say he was my dad. Actually, he’s avoiding all eye contact with me. But I can see it. I see the similarities. His last name is Thorton, Justin.’

‘Are you still there?’ I question coming to another stop at the next red light. ‘You’re on your way back home, right?’

‘I’m going to stay a while longer. There’s a nice hotel not too far from here. The waitress says he comes in everyday.’

‘Chrissy, what on earth are you thinking? Are you serious right now?! You can’t just stay in some town you don’t know trying to talk to some man you’ve never met.’

‘Justin…’ she starts but cuts herself off.

‘Please just come home. I don’t want you getting hurt. Do you realize how dangerous that is?’

‘I should go and find out about the hotel.’ She says, about to end the call.

‘Chrissy!’ I protest, ‘don’t.’

‘I’ll call you soon.’

Before I could say anything else the conversation ended.

‘Jesus, Chrissy!’ I hit the steering wheel pulling over in the nearest parking lot.

I have no idea what I’m supposed to do. Do I call her mom? Well she’s legal so she could do what she wants. I need to get off the street before I run into something. I speed all the way to the apartment and rush inside. Do I just let my girlfriend explore some strange town alone? She just needs time. She just needs time. Maybe if I keep saying it I’ll believe it.

‘Rocky, come outside.’ I call letting him roam in the backyard. He runs around for thirty minutes before he finally takes care of his business. I feed him and attempt to eat myself but it doesn’t work out. I don’t have the slightest appetite right now. How could I? I’m going out of my mind thinking of Chrissy trying to find her father in a different town. I toss and turn in the bed before finally giving up on sleep.

It was three in the morning when I was pulling my laptop out. I use it to sign onto Find My iPhone where I tracked Chrissy’s phone. Seal Beach, California. I have never heard of Seal Beach. Goes to show how unnecessarily large California is. Seal Beach was only half an hour away so she wasn’t too far. I get the black duffle bag from the closet and stuff a couple of tee shirts inside with a pair of shorts, sweats, and jeans. I bring Chrissy a few clothing items of her own just incase she needed to change. I stuff the basic essentials into the bag with my charger before I zip it up.

‘We’re going on a trip boy.’ I pick up Rocky with my duffle bag and head out the garage. I use my free hand to lock the apartment before climbing back into the Range Rover. Before I get on the highway I stop and fill up the car just a precaution. I make it to Seal Beach in about twenty minutes considering the highway was fairly empty and I was speeding most of the way. Once I’m in the town of about twenty-five thousand or at least that’s what the welcome sign said. I check my phone for the address again.

12850 Sun Beach Blvd.

Okay, I’m only ten minutes away from where she is now.

Minutes later I was in front of a pretty big hotel called Ayres Hotel. I grab everything out of the car including Rocky and lock the doors. The inside lobby was really nice and empty. A man sat behind the desk reading the newspaper.

‘Hello.’ He eyes Rocky in my arms.

‘Hello, I’m looking for Chrissy Thorton’s room.’

‘I’m sorry; we can’t give that information out without the guest’s request. I could however call the room.’

‘No.’ I shake my head immediately, ‘don’t wake her up. I’ll just take a room, please.’

‘I’m sorry sir. No dogs.’ He gestures his head to Rocky.

I would’ve dropped him off but I didn’t know anyone who wouldn’t mind me dropping my dog off at their house at three in the morning and I wasn’t leaving him at the apartment alone.

‘He’s trained. I’ll put down a deposit just incase anything happens. I just really need a room.’

He purses his lips, thinking about it.

‘He’s really quiet. All he does is sleep.’

‘Okay.’ He nods typing away at the computer. ‘Please swipe your card.’

‘Thanks so much. I appreciate it.’

‘Here’s your room key sir. Do you need any help?’

‘No, it’s fine. Thank you.’ I say before taking the card from the counter and heading to the elevator. ‘You have to be on your best behavior here.’ I say to Rocky unlocking the door. I set him down on the floor along with my duffle bag, walking to the wide window. There weren’t many cars on this side of the hotel. I saw one in particular that caught my eye. Chrissy’s car. I could see the small rabbit she had hanging on her rearview mirror. So she’s definitely here. For the first time in I don’t know how many hours I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

Chrissy’s Point of View

I wake up the next morning, not aware I had even fell asleep last night. I remembered ordering extra pillows to fill the empty space in the bed. It didn’t help. It wasn’t the same. I press my phone just to see the lock screen. Justin holding Rocky in his arms. He had the biggest smile on his face. I let my finger run across the screen. I missed Justin lightly snoring beside me or rolling over where he was practically on top of me. I missed Rocky crawling all over me early in the morning. I shouldn’t have left. I should’ve stayed with him. We should’ve shouted until it was over. He would’ve held me as close to him as possible. I would’ve told him how much he means to me. He would’ve told me how much he loved me. I yank my phone from its charger to call him but he doesn’t answer. I hang up before his answering machine cuts in. I decided to try to find food in the hotel so I wouldn’t have to leave. I press the down button on the elevator and wait while it slowly moves from floor to floor. The golden doors slid open with ease. There was only one person inside of the small elevator.

‘Justin?’ I cough out, stunned.

‘Uh, hey, Chris.’ He replies nervously, almost hesitantly.

‘Wh-what are you doing here? When’d you get here? How’d you find me?’ all of the questions just flow from my lips. As an impulse, I reach out and wrap my arms around him. I hadn’t seen him in almost 48 hours. It felt like an eternity. Justin hugs me back hiding his face in my collarbone. I breathe in his familiar scent from his hoodie.

‘Well, I couldn’t just sit back and let you find your dad alone. I made it here around four in the morning. I, uh, used that Find My iPhone app to see where you were.’

‘I just called you.’

‘I left my phone in the room. I just came down to get something for Rocky to eat.’

‘Rocky?’ I cock my head to the side, ‘you brought him?’

‘Yeah, I didn’t want to leave him at the apartment alone and I didn’t know who to call at three in the morning.’

‘Oh.’ I say, not so talkative.

I hadn’t seen Justin since the whole parking lot incident, which still wasn’t resolved. But here he is. He drove in the early hours of the morning just to find me. To be with me. I didn’t want to bring up what we left in Los Angeles right now. I needed to talk to the man who may be my dad.

‘I’m not here to fight or argue. I’m here to help.’ Justin says cutting into my thoughts. We were thinking the exact same thing. ‘I think we should get Rocky something to eat and take him out then you can show me where you met that guy.’

‘Okay.’ I reply getting into the elevator with Justin.

We go a few floors up where Justin leads the way down the hall. Rocky immediately rushes over to me letting out a loud happy whine.

‘Hey Rock.’ I lift him in my arms where he licks the side of my face. ‘I missed you too.’

After Justin retrieves the leash from his duffle bag we leave the room again. Luckily a small restaurant in the hotel was serving breakfast.

‘Here’s some bacon and sausage. Don’t get used to it.’ I laugh pouring the food from the restaurant into Rocky’s dish after the short walk. ‘You’ll be back on dog food once we get home.’

‘We’ll be back soon.’ Justin says locking the hotel door.

We get into Justin’s car where drives to the small diner from yesterday. Sure enough, the same semi truck was parked in the parking lot.

‘That’s the truck he was in yesterday.’ I point informing Justin.

I could tell he was hesitant about the entire situation but he doesn’t say the negative comments he’s thinking. I’m thankful he keeps them to himself.

‘Well, let’s go inside.’ He says jumping out of the driver’s side.

‘Let’s sit at this table.’ I pull out the first empty chair I spot then let my eyes scan across the room. ‘Justin there he is!’ I whisper shaking Justin’s arm.

‘Where?’

‘Him.’ I say pointing at the man who was cradling a steaming cup of coffee.