If I Was Your Boyfriend

eighty-nine.

‘So, about this whole Isabelle situation.’ Justin doesn’t waste any time once we finally make it into the apartment. I kick my shoes off and lead the way up the stairs. I definitely missed being here even if we were only gone for a couple of days. The smell of Justin’s cologne filled the bedroom. If only Rocky were here to greet me in the way only Rocky did. He’d run from underneath the sheets and frantically wag his tail until I picked him up. Justin comes in behind me and places our bags at the foot of the bed. ‘Chris…’ he starts. I’m not looking at him but the tone alone is serious.

‘Yes?’ I wonder curiously suddenly so interested in the inside of my drawer.

‘Don’t you think you should tell your dad about Isabelle?’

‘He’s happy. Why would I ruin that for him?’

I hear Justin sit down on the foot of the bed. His hi-tops back a soft thump against the wood flooring. Once I turn around I see he’s already lying in bed. It was only a little past eleven here but he was understandably tired.

‘I don’t think you’d be ruining anything for him Chris. You’d be saving him from a lifetime’s worth of wacko.’

‘She’s not wacko. She’s territorial.’

‘She may have had something to do with that allergic reaction of yours.’ Justin reminds me.

‘May have. Key word.’ I retort grabbing a pair of shorts and a tee shirt from my pajama drawer. ‘We don’t know just yet.’

‘I swear if we find out she did I will not hesitate to call your dad. You can pinch me, yell at me, or whatever but I will let him know.’

‘She wouldn’t do that.’ I say aloud. I wasn’t sure if I was convincing Justin or myself. ‘I’m going to take a shower.’

Justin mutters something I couldn’t understand under his breath. I didn’t bother asking him to repeat what he said instead I make my way across the hall locking the door behind me. I let the water warm up as I stare at my reflection in the mirror. The swelling had gone down on my lips, thank you God. There was no way that Isabelle would have slipped nuts into my meal knowing that I was allergic. I pull my phone from my back pocket and set it on the counter.

Made it back to LA. Thanks for having us. – Chrissy.

Anytime sweetheart. Waiting to hear back from the restaurant. I’ll keep you two updated. The kids say hi. – Dad.

With a soft sigh I lock my phone and step into the shower. The hot water was inviting and relaxing. Once I step out I realize the bathroom was now some kind of sauna. I use my index finger to draw on the mirror.

C + J

When I wake back into the bedroom Justin is still lying in bed with his eyes on the ceiling. He places his eyes on me momentarily before glancing back up at the moving ceiling fan. I crawl into the bed beside him lying on my back just as he did. The sounds of him breathing in and out were soothing alone.

‘Look, I’m not trying to be rude to you…’ Justin’s voice trails off after yet another deep sigh.

‘You’re not being rude to me.’

‘I just don’t want someone to hurt you and get away with it. I don’t know what I’d do without you. Who knows what could’ve happened if you didn’t get to the hospital when you did.’

‘It was minor reaction.’

‘You know what I mean, Chrissy.’ Justin places a hand on my thigh, ‘I just love you more than I ever thought was possible.’

‘And I love you.’

‘Forever?’

‘And ever.’

‘So how about we rest a little, go get Rocky, get some take-out and lay around all day.’

‘I think that is my perfect day.’ I agree leaning up to press my lips to his soft cheek.

Before I knew it I was asleep in Justin’s arms. When I wake, he’s gone. The shower water faintly travels from across the hall. Surprisingly it was six o’clock at night. Not too long after the shower water cuts off and Justin comes back in a pair of sweats and a plain tee shirt. I pull on a pair of leggings over my shorts and grabbing Justin’s hoodie.

‘You look so good in my sweatshirt.’ Justin grins as we step out of the side door. ‘I love when you wear my clothes.’

‘They’re so comfy.’ I reply sliding into the bat mobile.

‘What do you want for dinner?’

‘I’m thinking Thai. You?’

‘I was thinking the same. First we’ll go pick up the big guy.’

‘I can’t wait to see him.’

The drive to Justin’s mom’s house wasn’t that long considering the traffic. I walk with Justin up the brick stairs to ring the doorbell. Pattie opens the door with some kind of novel in her hand.

‘Hey mom.’ Justin wraps his arms around Pattie for a tight hug.

‘Hey you two. How was the trip?’

‘It was a rollercoaster.’ I answer before Justin decided to respond.

‘Yeah, I saw. How are you feeling Chrissy?’

‘Much better, thanks.’

‘That’s good.’ She smiles after releasing me, ‘Rocky!’

The metal on Rocky’s collar rattles as he gets closer. His long tall went from side to side as he jumped in the air a few times.

‘We missed you.’ Justin’s fingers graze Rocky’s coat.

‘Was he any trouble?’

‘Not at all. He’s such a pleasure. Come back anytime Rocky.’ Pattie says once she returns with the large bed he slept in.

‘Thanks again.’

I carry Rocky while Justin says goodbye to his mom and gets the bed. I fasten my seatbelt while Justin starts the car again. My phone lets out a loud chime signaling a text message.

Planning a cookout at my place. Would be amazing if you got Justin to help out. – Tracey.

Help with what? – Chrissy.

The cooking part of course. Maybe grill some burgers and hot dogs. – Tracey.

‘Babe.’ I pause looking over at Justin.

One hand was on my thigh while the other was on the steering while. His brown eyes were focused on the train of cars in front of us. He briefly looks over at me at the next red light.

‘Yeah?’

‘Could you do me a favor?’

‘Anything baby.’ He shrugs taking his eyes back to the road, ‘wait what am I agreeing to?’

‘Well Tracey’s having a cookout and she needs a cook. So she was thinking you could grill up some burgers and all that.’

‘Okay, what day?’

He’s in. what day? – Chrissy.

I owe you guys! Saturday afternoon! – Tracey.

We will see you then – Chrissy.

‘She said on Saturday.’

‘As in the day after tomorrow?’

‘That would be the day.’

‘That’s a little short notice but I’m in.’

‘This is why I love you.’

‘I love you too.’

We go to our favorite Thai restaurant and Justin runs in to pick up our food. For the rest of the day we laid around on the sofa watching TV, just like we had planned. When night finally arrives we lay in bed staring at the ceiling.

‘What are you thinking?’ I wonder curiously.

‘I haven’t been this happy with my life in awhile. It’s all because of you.’ Justin wraps an arm around my waist pulling me closer to him.

‘Funny…’

‘What is?’

‘I was thinking the exact same thing.’



Saturday – 3:00 p.m.

‘Hi! Thank you for doing this!’ Tracey pulls Justin and I into her apartment right near the beach.

‘Don’t mention it.’ Justin returns her hug after closing the door.

‘The food’s in the fridge.’

‘How many people are we expecting?’ Justin asks.

‘No more than twenty or so. I’ll show you the backyard.’

‘It’s nice.’ I say following Justin to the large shiny grill.

‘Impressive.’ He smirks touching the grill with his hand.

‘I got it as a house warming gift. Funny, huh?’

‘I’ll get started.’ Justin goes inside of the house and gets the package of raw burgers.

A half hour into cooking Tracey’s guest started showing up. There were some people from the movie, some people I’ve never seen before, and a few I knew too well.

Selena.

And Jess?

To top it off Jess and Selena were in the corner of the backyard talking, their eyes directly on me.