If I Was Your Boyfriend

ninety-five.

Justin’s Point of View

When I finally managed to get myself out of bed it was after one o’clock in the afternoon. I hadn’t slept like that in ages and it honestly felt great. I throw the sheets around looking for my phone to call Chrissy and let her know what happened. I head downstairs to see Rocky asleep on sofa. I could only imagine Chrissy being curled up next to him watching one of her shows. Like those guys running around in the woods all the time. Teen Wolf or whatever. She loved the one with the four girls being terrorized by some random person going around calling themselves A. I’d join her on the sofa asking tons of questions just to annoy her but it’d never work. She’d explain to me as the episode went along, those beautiful eyes never leaving the TV. We’d get a blanket from upstairs and cuddle on the sofa together. I yank my phone from my pocket and dial her number. The phone rings and rings – she’s probably pissed off at me. Just as it was about to go to the voice message she picks up.

‘Justin?’ her voice isn’t the same.

I don’t know if its strained or just tired. Her tone is dull and neutral. She seemed so lifeless. Or maybe she was just annoyed with me.

‘Hey, I just wanted to let you know what happened last night.’ I begin to say.

‘No worries.’ She breathes cutting into the line, ‘I mean we’re not together anymore. You don’t have to explain yourself to me. You know?’

‘Yeah, I do.’ I shake my hand leaning against the kitchen table. ‘I was going to meet you last night but I just-…’

‘Justin, I’m fine. It’s okay.’ Chrissy insists, her voice cracking.

She sniffles into the line and it breaks me into pieces. My stomach tightens as the familiar knot builds in my throat. The line painful dead silent.

‘Do you want to meet somewhere?’ I offer.

‘Where?’ her voice is thick with curiosity.

‘Anywhere you want.’

‘Somewhere out of Los Angeles?’

I could tell she was thinking the exact same thing I was. I wanted more than anything to talk to her but I didn’t want the world knowing about it just right now. I needed to get my girl back.

‘Where were you thinking?’

‘I don’t know. Do you have any idea?’ she asks back.

‘How about Verona? We could just get away for a few days. Just to talk.’

The line goes silent again and I prepare myself to get shot down by Chrissy. I couldn’t tell what she was thinking. There was a time I could tell you the first thing on her mind in the morning and the last thing on her mind at night but now I haven’t got the slightest idea.

‘How would we leave without having it all over the news?’

‘Well, I have ways. Just let me know if you’re in and I’ll take care of everything.’

‘I’m in.’



Chrissy’s Point of View

‘I’ll call as soon as I land.’ I hug my mom and Jeff before following Paul out the door. He helps me with the large suitcase I was bringing to Verona with me. Paul pulls away from the curb as I dig out my phone from my purse. ‘Are you happy to be going?’ I ask aloud leaning forward in the seat.

‘Are you?’ he looks at me in the rearview mirror.

I was going to Verona, Italy to spend a few days with Justin – just to talk. I didn’t know what to expect or why Justin even decided to choose Verona of all places. Justin was traveling with Kenny to meet Paul and I there. We were going to the airport where there a private plane waiting so we could get right on and leave without being seen.

Everything going okay? – Justin.

So far so good – Chrissy.

See you soon – Justin.

We arrived at the back of LAX where a plane awaited us. Security helped me into the plane and hurried to close the doors. Justin is leaving after midnight so people wouldn’t catch on that we were going to the same place. The flight from Los Angeles to Verona would be a full 12 hours long. I didn’t have enough music on my phone or enough magazines to last me for the time being. Paul is sat in the seat beside me with a neck pillow wrapped around his neck and his eyes closed.

‘What if I’m making a bad decision?’ I look over at him and he opens his eyes to study me. ‘By going here.’

‘It’s up to you, Chrissy.’ Paul replies, ‘I mean there’s no denying you care for him. So if he means that much to you – what’s the worst that could happen by trying.’

‘Thanks Paul.’ I nod settling down into the seat.

A long twelve hours later we were landing on this empty field. I could see a black tinted SUV not too far from where we had came to a stop. Paul stays close behind as I walk off of the plane. Paul grabs the suitcases and throws them in the back of the trunk.

‘Hello, Miss. Chrissy – welcome to Verona.’ The driver of the SUV gets out to greet us.

‘Thank you.’ I climb inside the car beside Paul and fasten my seat belt.

Just landed. – Chrissy.

Great. I’ll be leaving LA in about two hours. – Justin.

See you in the morning then. – Chrissy.

‘I’m going to take you to the hotel, is that okay?’

‘Yes, I’d love to lay down anyway.’

‘Right away, miss. Chrissy.’

Half an hour later we were out in front of a large hotel. There were taxis lined up outside the building waiting for any new customers. Hotel Verona.

‘This is our hotel?’

‘Yes. I have instructions to bring miss. Chrissy to Hotel Verona. Do you not like?’

‘No, it’s amazing. It’s so beautiful.’

‘It is very amazing. Best hotel in all of Verona.’

‘Thank you so much for the ride.’ I shake the driver’s hand before sliding out of the SUV.

For once there weren’t any paparazzi outside of the hotel awaiting their chance for dozens of pictures. I go up to the front desk while Paul talks to the driver some more.

‘Hi, my name’s Chrissy Thorton.’

‘Ah Chrissy Thorton, we’ve been expecting you. How was your flight?’

‘It was long but good, thanks.’

‘Good. The room is already paid for. I’ll have some one show you up right now. Enjoy your stay and welcome to Verona.’

A few moments later the manager returned with the room key and a member of the staff at the hotel. Paul and I follow her up to the room, on the highest floor. The room was gorgeous. The plain white walls were complimented with light wood flooring and a balcony overlooking Verona. Tons of people were walking in the street admiring the city. On the other side of the bathroom was another bedroom where Paul would sleep for our duration here in Verona. It was nearly twelve at night here so Justin was probably on his way to Verona by now.

‘Do you want to get something to eat?’ Paul asks folding his arms across his chest.

‘No, I’m going to turn in for the night. I’m pretty tired from the flight.’

‘Alright. I’m right next door if you need anything.’

‘Night Paul.’

‘Goodnight.’

Paul flicks the light off as he heads into the other bedroom. I lay there with possible scenarios spiraling around in my head. I hadn’t seen Justin in person for nearly three weeks. We hadn’t seen each other since standing outside of Tracey’s apartment. The day we broke up. I fall asleep wondering what tomorrow will be like.



Tap

I sit up in the bed and glance around the room. The sun is glowing throughout the room.

Tap

I walk over to the window and step out onto the balcony hesitantly.

‘But soft, what light through yonder window breaks. It is the east and Chrissy is sun. Arise fair sun and kill the envious moon who is already sick and pale with grief.’

Justin stood below on the streets of Verona staring up the hotel with a hand full of pebbles in his hand. Justin was dressed in a pair of jeans, a white tee shirt, and brown leather jacket with a pair of hi-tops. His smile was warm and genuine. Standing below me was the Justin I fell for months ago.

‘I really can’t remember anymore.’ He shouts back up at me rocking back and forth on his heels. ‘But you look beautiful.’

I leave from the balcony and rush down to the lobby in my pajamas to meet him out front. He looked even better a few feet away from me. He slowly extends his arms out with a hopeful smile.

‘It wouldn’t hurt to hug, would it?’ he asks, arms open. ‘I mean not too brag or anything, I did have a near-death experience.’

I fall into his arms before I knew what I was doing. Justin’s hands run up and down my back, holding me with everything he had in him. As much I didn’t want to – I missed him. As pissed as I was at him, I didn’t hate him.

‘I thought we were happy. I thought that I made you happy.’ I blurt into his tee shirt.

‘You do. We are happy. It was stupid.’

‘I don’t see how someone could lie in someone’s face, keep something huge from them for months, if they loved them.’

‘I do love you. I love you so much it hurts. I love you to the moon and back. I love you so much that I’d go anywhere on earth to be with you. I’d cross oceans and mountains just to look at you. Just to get a glimpse of you. I love you so much that I’d give it all up just to be with you. I am deeply, crazily, no-strings-attached, head over heels, don’t know what to do, in love with you Chrissy.’

‘Those words just seem so, empty.’ I pull away from him to stare in his face, ‘I don’t think I’ll ever be able to forget this, Justin.’

‘I know. I’m not asking you to. I’m asking for a second-chance.’

His deep brown eyes blink down at me as he uses his arms to hold me in front of him.