If I Was Your Boyfriend

ninety-seven.

Justin’s Point of View

It was my second day here in Verona already. Chrissy and I hung out last night in her hotel room. We watched Titanic for about the thirtieth time together. Chrissy laid on the bed staring at the TV hanging on to every word, which was in Italian. I watch her from the chair next to the bed. I needed to get close to her but I keep my distance. I sat there watching TV until Chrissy ended up falling asleep. After my shower I go up to Chrissy’s room one floor up and softly knock on the door. Chrissy opens the door before going back to sit on the edge of the bed. Her face hung low as she swung her feet back and forth.

‘What’s up, Chris?’ I sit down beside her on the bed looking at her.

‘Just thinking.’ She shrugs with a small sigh.

‘Thinking about what?’ I urge facing my body to look at her.

‘My dad called and said that the manager’s talk to the staff and no one knows how the nuts got into the food. They send their apologizes and free meals.’

‘Looks like I’ll be going to Arizona more.’ I say trying to help her relax. She stiffs out a laugh and shakes her head.

My once girlfriend could have died. The thought alone made my blood boil. And they offer her free food? I was giving Chrissy a happy face but that restaurant would definitely be hearing from me when I get back to America.

‘I was just thinking what if Isabelle really did this. She didn’t get caught and what’s stopping her from doing it again?’

‘That won’t happen.’

‘What makes you so sure?’ she looks up at me.

‘Tell your dad. Don’t give her another opportunity to do something like that again. Think about it like this – tell your dad now or tell the police later.’

I brace myself for Chrissy to fold her arms across her chest and say she wasn’t going to ruin her dad’s happiness or maybe she should just stay away. That moment doesn’t come. She just nods her head staring at the wall.

‘Okay. I’ll tell him. I just hope I’m not wrong.’

‘You will?’ I couldn’t help but hide my reaction.

‘After the awards I guess.’

‘Oh yeah. Those are coming up – how are you feeling?’

‘Scared. Doubtful. Worried. Anxious. Excited.’

‘Don’t be scared because these award shows are actually pretty fun and this is you’re first time being nominated. Excited is good. You should definitely be pumped up for this. As for worried and doubtful, don’t be. I have complete faith in you. You were incredible in your movie and that’s what got you nominated. And or being anxious just breathe and imagine walking up on that stage accepting an award with your name on it. One of the best feelings in the entire world.’

‘How do you always seem to know what to say and just when to say it.’

‘Guess that’s just part of my charm.’

‘Yeah yeah.’ She blows me off with the smallest smile, ‘what are you doing today?’

‘I’m wherever you are. Is there anything you wanna do?’

‘I was thinking about renting Vespas and going to see more of the city.’

‘That sounds like fun. Do you know where the place is at?’

‘Not too far from here actually. Kenny and Paul could get some too.’

‘I’m in. I’ll go let Kenny know. Meet us in the van in about ten minutes?’

‘See you in a little bit.’ Chrissy says as she closes the door behind me.

We got into the van then drove to some Vespa rental place about twenty minutes from the hotel. Paul parks the van just before Chrissy and I ease out. We weren’t wearing our hoodies today so people already started to notice us walking. I guess they would’ve found out sooner or later. Chrissy walks closely beside me as we head over to the desk.

‘Hey can we rent four of your Vespa?’ I say to the man behind the desk.

‘Justin Bieber and Chrissy Thorton want to rent vespas from my shop. What a day.’

Chrissy giggles beside me as the man goes to the back. She leans against the counter and looks up at me.

‘What?’

‘Nothing.’ She shakes her head looking down at the floor.

‘Here you are.’ He takes us back out to the front of the shop and gestures to four Vespas. Chrissy hurries over to the bright red one, of course. I sit on the back of the black just like Paul and Kenny.

‘Let’s do this.’ I take the lead with Chrissy right beside me.

We see tons of historical buildings and the art of Verona. Engines reeving behind us cause me to turn around. All I could see was five or six large men on Vespas. In their hands – video cameras of course.

‘JUSTIN! CHRISSY! ARE YOU BACK TOGETHER?!’

‘HEY JUSTIN WE HEAR YOU SLEPT WITH A PROSTITUTE BEHIND CHRISSY’S BACK – IS IT TRUE?’

‘CHRISSY WHY’D YOU TAKE HIM BACK?’

‘HOW ARE YOU LIKING VERONA?’

‘What do we do?!’ I shout to Kenny and Paul over their absurd questions.

‘GO!’ Paul calls back.

Chrissy takes off before me cutting down a back alley. I do my best to follow her with all of this chaos. Somehow I lost her with all of the walkers and cars in the road. Kenny and Paul had disappeared just like Chrissy. Two paps were close behind me calling out words I didn’t quite hear. Streets seemed to past me by and everything looked the same. There was a large mass of people and I just had a gut feeling it had something to do with Chrissy. She was down on the ground collided with a pap. He was rambling on about how sorry he was. I push my way down to her and help her up.

‘What is wrong with you?’ I spat wrapping an arm around Chris.

‘I’m sorry man. I didn’t mean to. It was an accident.’

‘You should’ve been chasing her!’

‘It was an accident Justin man.’

‘Stay away from her.’ I cut him off and pick up Chrissy’s Vespa. ‘Are you okay?’

‘I think so.’ She nods leaning into me.

Her hands were around my arm securely. The Vespa wouldn’t start up – great.

‘Come on Chrissy.’ I climb onto the Vespa and wait for Chrissy to climb on behind me. Her arms snake around my torso and I took off. ‘What happened back there?’

‘I was trying to get through but the guy was riding too close and we both went down.’

‘I swear this shouldn’t be legal. I don’t get it. With anyone else it would be stalking but just because you’re famous it’s okay.’

Chrissy doesn’t say much back to the hotel. She was hugging me from behind and it felt incredible even if it was just because she wouldn’t fall off the Vespa. Paul and Kenny were both pacing in front of the hotel. They both jog over to us just as I get off the Vespa.

‘What happened?’ Paul’s deep voice bounces off the archway.

‘Some pap knocked her down and her Vespa wouldn’t start up anymore so we just rode back together.’

‘We lost you back there. We thought you’d be here.’

‘No, I don’t know what happened actually.’ Chrissy assures them. ‘I just want to lay down for a bit.’

‘I’ll walk you up.’ I offer and placing a hand on her back.

She doesn’t move away so that was a good sign. Paul and Kenny cover us while we hurry through the hotel’s lobby and into the elevator. We get to Chrissy’s room too quick and she leans against the door.

‘I’ll see you later, okay?’

‘I’ll see you later.’ I repeat kissing her head in a quick motion before turning to walk down the hall.

‘Justin?’ she calls after me.

‘Yeah?’

‘Thanks for the today, I appreciate it. You know – sticking up for me.’

‘Anytime, anywhere.’

Chrissy’s Point of View

When I finally wake up I pack my bag since we would be going back to Los Angeles tomorrow. The MTV Movie Awards were here and I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I call Jackie; my stylists to make sure the dress I was wearing would be ready in time. After my phone call I head up to Justin’s room and knock on the door. Justin was folding up his clothes when he answered the door.

‘Hey sleeping beauty.’ Justin smiles throwing his clothes in his suitcase.

‘Hi.’ I smile as I take a seat beside his suitcase; ‘I was just wondering if you were going to the awards with anyone?’ the words came out worse than I hoped.

‘Ryan’s flying in.’ he shrugs looking up at me, ‘he’s bringing his “friend”.’ Justin smirks.

‘Did Ryan get a girlfriend?’

‘Not yet. He’s being all reserved about it but he’s bringing a girl to the awards with him. Are you going with anyone?’

‘I’m bringing Garrett and Danielle.’

‘I think we’re sitting pretty close together.’

‘I think we’re right next to each other.’

‘Pretty close.’ Justin laughs zipping his suitcase, ‘I just hope jetlag isn’t too bad. I’ll probably miss the entire show.’

‘You better not. I’m looking forward to seeing you accepting the award for movie of the year.’

‘Fingers crossed. Know what I’m looking forward to?’

‘What’s that?’

‘To see what you’re going to wear.’ He retorts with a smirk.

‘What are you going to wear?’ I wonder, crossing my legs over one another.

‘I don’t know yet. Probably just throw something together when I get home. Do you have any recommendations?’

‘A button up definitely.’

‘I will take that into consideration.’ He nods through a laugh.

Once Justin finishes up with his packing we decide to go get something to eat. When we get down to the lobby we see that there’s a mass of people with cameras and teenagers. Their screams erupt as Justin and I came in sight.

‘JUSTIN. JUSTIN. JUSTIN. JUSTIN.’

Paul and Kenny use their large frame to shield us from the cameras. Word was probably out back in Los Angeles. Justin Bieber and Chrissy Thorton – back together. Not quite. We’re in the process of me trusting him and him regaining my trust.

‘There’s no way we’re getting out of here.’ Paul says, ‘it’s too many.’

‘I highly do not recommend leaving the hotel tonight.’ Kenny backs him up.

Justin looks down at me asking what do I want to do.

‘We could just get a pizza to the room.’ I shrug.

‘Italy has some of the best pizzas.’ Justin agrees, ‘let’s go up to your room.’

‘JUSTIN. JUSTIN. JUSTIN. JUSTIN.’

‘I feel like I’m at one of your concerts.’ I laugh peeking out the window.

The people weren’t leaving any time soon. So we were here for the night.

‘Hey Chris, can I ask you something?’

‘Ask me anything.’ I sit down beside him on the bed.

‘Is getting back together something you would maybe want?’