Summer With the Bertram Brothers

Chapter 19

The past few days flew by quickly. All I know is that I spent every second with Trim. I couldn’t let him go. Not even in my head. But I didn’t think I was as lovesick as Winnie. Every time Trim and I went some place, they happen to be there as well. Whether it was the beach, the arcade, the pizza palace, smoothie booths, movie theatres... they were there. I hated the idea of us constantly bumping into each other. I almost never got any real alone time with Trim. Also, every event turned into a competition between the Bertram brothers. So, today, I spent the day with Trim at our hide out waterfall. I came home with swollen lips.

My phone rings frantically. I pick it up and rest it against my ear.
“Hello?” I say, still poking my red lips in front of the mirror. I hear sobs, “Winnie?”
“Oh God, Ambi! You were so right!”
I frown and look at the ceiling, “Winnie? What’s wrong?”
“It’s Rico!” she cries, “He cheated on me.”
My shoulders fall and I slap my forehead.
“I can’t believe how stupid I was...” she sniffs on the phone, “He said he didn’t really like me...”
“I’m sorry to hear that. If you want, we can skip the party and I’ll come over.”
“No,” she says, “You don’t have to. Besides, I want to be alone.”
I don’t believe her, “I’m coming over anyway.”
“I’m leaving, Ambi,” she says. I drop my eyes from my ceiling and land them back to my reflection. My face frowns even more.
“What? Leaving? You’re going back to the city?”
“Yeah, I just had to get out of here. I asked my parents and they gave me the car.”
I scream, “Winnie! Are you stupid? You didn’t come and say goodbye? Why are you telling me this now? Why didn’t you tell me this earlier?”
“I called you this morning, but you never picked up,” she replies. I left my phone in my room when I went out. I scowl myself for not being there when she needed me.
“I’m so sorry, Winnie. I wish I could do something.”
“It’s okay,” I hear her sniff, “Once I go shopping, I’ll be as good as new.”
“Winnie...”
“It’s just,” she yells, “I’m so jealous of you! I work so hard trying to look attractive to get a boy to like me. But you—you get a hot boyfriend without even trying!”
“Winnie, boys would be glad to be your boyfriend, your butler, your pet, anything. You were going after the wrong guy.”
“I know,” she replies.
“And as for me, I don’t know why Trim likes me. But I don’t really think about it. I just like him back.”
“Do you love him, Ambi?” she asks. I look down and pause as the question resonated to my brain, “Never mind, I have to go. I’ll talk to you later.”
She hangs up and everything goes silent. It sounded more like she was asking herself that question...
I put down the phone and head outside.

I see his red Ford Escape parked next to other lousy cars on the pavement in front of the house of the party host. Winnie and I were supposed to be at this party having fun and forgetting about our troubles. But no. Somebody had to break her innocent naive heart of gold. Luckily, Eva gives me a ride, since she plans to get wasted tonight. She says she left plenty room in her stomach for alcohol to fit in. And she brags she lost ten pounds since we got to L’Acadie. I just told her to do anything but sleep with Rico. She gave me a weird look like what I said was too impossible. I grab the keys from her. I jump out and stomp into the cheerful crowd. I spot Rico in the backyard with a beer in his hand. I stare at him until we make eye contact. He clearly doesn’t feel any guilt. Knowing he’d catch up to me eventually, I go back and wait by his car. In no time, I see him trotting along down the steps towards me. He casually comes closer to me and rests his shoulder against his car.
“What are you doing here?”
“I’m here to beat you up,” I turn to look at him.
He chuckles lightly, completely understanding me.
“How could you do that? I know you do it all the time, but how do you live with yourself?” I ask, disgusted.
“What are you talking about?” he asks, shaking his head.
“You know exactly what I’m talking about! If you didn’t like her—Why pretend? Why bother tagging her along your fucking games? You should be ashamed of yourself,” I attack.
He keeps shaking his head, looking away.
“You don’t know what you’re talking about.”
“I don’t? Then please, please enlighten me!” I say sarcastically.
Rico doesn’t say anything. He stands there, staring in my eyes.
“Don’t make a girl fall for you if you have no intention on catching her,” I say, turning away from him. How dare he break my best friend’s heart? I thought. Who does he take me for? I feel him snatch my wrist and twist me around. He looks in my eyes.
“I’ll catch you any day.”
I stare, a bit surprised.
“Shut up,” I say, trying to pull my arm away.
I feel my pulse racing inside his grip.
“You make me sick—” I sigh.
“You make me sick!” Rico suddenly snaps, “It’s you, Ambi! It’s you! I can’t eat, I can’t sleep. I can’t stop thinking about you. You come into my life and mess me up!”
I stiffen up, “Me? You’re the one who came into my life with your stupid surfing offer!”
“You drive me crazy!” he tightens his grip.
“Why?” I ask.
“I want you.”
“Well, you can’t. I have a boyfriend now.”
“I don’t care,” he husks, pushing me back on the window. He suddenly smashes his lips on mines and presses his tongue inside my mouth. I smack his face away and catch my breath. I pull myself out of his hold and find strength to walk away.
“Goodbye, Rico.”
♠ ♠ ♠
comment & subscribe