Summer With the Bertram Brothers

Chapter 22

I realize my summer is cut short. I drag my last bag into Aunt Jewel’s pick-up. The sun fries my skin and I sigh hot air out my lungs. Aunt Jewel pushes the back upwards and clasps the dust off her hands. She tosses her blond hair pass her ears. She’s here to take us to Whitcomb city where she lives. She looks over at me
“That’s’ it?” she asks.
“It doesn’t matter,” I trail off. Eva’s already sitting in the car, quietly.
“We’ll have to hit the road in a few minutes. Where’s your brother Doyle?” Aunt Jewel goes back in the house.
“He’s been missing for a while now,” I say, shrugging my shoulders, “He’s probably in another town anyways.”
Aunt Jewel puts on a worried face. I look up at her and grin over what I’m about to say.
“Don’t worry, Jewel. Don’t worry.”

I look up to the sky. It’s clear. It’s blue. It reminds me of Trim. I twist around and quickly rush towards to my lake.
“Trim!”
He’s there. Standing there. The butterflies never went away since the first time we met here.

“I’m Trim, by the way,” he says, plucking out a large orange tree leaf. I spin around and look at him.
“Everyone calls me Ambi.”

We hug for what feels like an hour. I know I have to return to reality. I have to go to Whitcomb and live with Aunt Jewel. I don’t know.
“I’m scared if I let go, I’ll break into pieces” I mumble.
“You have to go,” Trim says, still clutching me tight.
“I know,” I mumble in his warm chest.
“I care about you, Ambi.” Trim says.
“I know,” I answer.
“If you need me, I’ll come and get you. Just call me,” Trim sooths.
Knowing this made me feel able to stand on my own two feet. I feel so lost. My world is ripping easily like thin paper. Trim lets me go.
“Take care of my boat,” my eyes become water filters.
He softly nods and kisses my forehead. I watch him stick his hand in his pockets as if trying to restrain himself from touching me. I back away slowly and wave goodbye. I tear my eyes away from him and walk up the hill back on the road. I turn back around and see him still standing by the shore. Here is this boy, whom I fell in love with... that I shared an island with... that I gave myself to, and not yet told him how I feel. I was always confused with my feelings until now. Trim is the only thing right in my life. I can’t let him slip away. I don’t want to lose what we have. I don’t want to lose my first love. My first everything... I can’t.
“I love you, Trim Bertram!” I yell out. I’m anxious. I’m certain. I’m sad. I’m happy. I’m confused. I’m enlightened. I’m torn. Whatever. I’ll be fine.
“I love you too, Ambrosia Delicate!”
♠ ♠ ♠
the end.