Summer With the Bertram Brothers

Chapter 6


The next day, the sun disappeared behind the clouds.
Outside, it’s grey. But the humidity stays in the air. Winnie and I sit on the rocky fence of the parking lot facing the beach. There are less people around since the forecast predicts rain. I’m explaining to my best friend how come I’m feeling depressed.
“Eva’s changed. She’s so bitter now.” Since dad died, everyone’s bitter. I never told her about me and Rico where Eva’s anger originated from. I don’t want her to hate me as well.
“It’s too bad,” she says.
I shift a bit, feeling uncomfortable as I get flashbacks from yesterday.
“So how’s your dog?” I ask, turning the subject away from me.
“She’s fine now. It’s because she was drinking from the toilet, apparently.”
I snort laughing. She joins me.
I then hop off the pillar and dust off my pants.
“Let’s go in the farmer’s market,” I say. She nods and climbs down. We both walk and talk. Really, I want to go pay Doyle a visit to tell him about mother. She’s been in bed since we got here. She didn’t even wait for his fish to cook. She went straight to bed. As we stop by my brother’s fish store, I see Trim in the distance walking with his friends. I quickly push the door and get inside. Winnie taps on the fish tanks. Doyle and his partner look up at us. He smiles.
“How’s it going?” he says, after helping customers. I stand beside Winnie and hold my hands behind my back and shrug. Winnie lights up.
“Hi! I’m great!”
I look at her happy expression. I wonder what it is that makes her so happy. Whatever it is, I need some of it.
“Um, Winnie? Go check if the clothing stores are open,” I say. She spins and dashes out of here. I look back at my brother, “She hasn’t gotten out of bed today.”
“Who, mom?”
I raise my brows as a response.
“She’s tired, like you said, I guess.”
“But she could at least get up and do something... like eat and go outside...” I cross my arms.
“I’ll go to the house later,” he brushes. He sniffs air in his nose hard. I frown and let go of my elbows.
“You have a cold?”
“Huh? No,” he answers.
“Sounds like you’re catching a cold,” I say. I take a step backwards towards the exit, “You should get that checked.”
He understands the tone in my voice as I notice his face fall. I pull the door out of my way and walk out casually.

In no time, we catch up to Trim’s group. Winnie waves at them and greets everyone. Trim and I make eye contact. His curly hair blows a bit in the wind and his green eyes land in mine as he grins. I give him an awkward smile and I look elsewhere. I can still feel his eyes on me. I feel my face heat up. Winnie did all the talking, thank goodness. We then separate our ways, and I’m finally able to breathe. The sudden turbulence in my stomach dissipates.
“Hm, I’m in the mood for sushi,” Winnie shines as we pass the sushi palace, “What about you?”
She turns and looks at me, expectantly. I’m too busy looking back...

Night falls and the clouds are gone, showing the stars twinkle brightly. It’s like they’re stuck up there. I take a cold shower the minute I get home. When I finish, I wrap my towel around me and tip toe quickly to my room. I pause as I reach mom’s door. I peak my head through the opening. She’s still bundled up inside the sheets. I wonder how she’s coping with this humidity. But everyone’s voice rings in my head. Stop worrying. I track my steps to my room and pull my towel off. I get dressed in a flowing tank and cotton shorts. I don’t know where Eva is. And I don’t care. I drift to the kitchen, pick out some snack bar and slip on my flip flops, going out the back door. My hair, still wet, cool’s my head in the heat. I rub my moist ear. I walk slowly to the lake. I skip down the rocky path. I see him there, sitting on a log, playing with scarce grass.
“Hey,” I catch his attention. I stuck in my stomach to hopefully squish the butterflies. I watch him turn his head. He sees me and smiles. I smile back.

I don’t know what time it is or how long we’ve stayed on the island, quiet. An hour. Two... I share my snack bar with him. We just sit quietly on the flat sand. He only has an orange. We haven’t yet exchanged words, though. I take the orange from Trim’s hand and peel it. I need to keep my brain occupied, or else I might explode. I don’t want to look at his gorgeous eyes; I don’t want to see his stretched grin. I don’t want to see his dimples. I don’t want to look at his curls. If I do, I don’t know what I’ll do...
“It’s hot,” he randomly speaks. He takes a bite from my bar and I give him half of his orange back. I know he’s talking about the temperature. But for some reason, I press my legs even more.
“Uh-huh,” I breathe out, in agreement. The heat from his body beside me is not helping. He drops his hand on my lap, handing me back my bar. But I don’t take it. I finish eating my piece of orange as if I didn’t notice anything. And he doesn’t move either. We stay silent and motionless for what seem like millenniums. I look down at his hand on my lap and reach to take the snack bar. But suddenly, he grabs my wrist as fast as a bear trap. I shift my eyes into his green orbs. With his other hand, he caresses my cheek, pushing my hair in back of my ear. I blush and tilt my head into his hand, as if craving for his touch.
“I want to kiss you,” he whispers. Shivers go up my spine. What are you waiting for? My mind screams. I stare at his lush lips. I didn’t know my heart could race any faster. His face is so close. I can feel his breath on me. I lift my eyes again to his eyes and catch his intense, almost forceful, gaze. He squeezes my wrist as he pulls me to him and pushes his warm lips on mine. I open my mouth, letting him in. He tastes like oranges and chocolates. I inhale all of him in my nostrils. His hand lets go of mine, slipping underneath the leg of my shorts. I gasp in his mouth and suddenly pull away, a little surpriesed at myslef. I wish I hadn’t, though. But my feelings are unsure. I fully turn my heated head away from him.
“Sorry,” he whispers, looking down. My mind is still whirling crazy.
I look back to him, touching my lips. I mumble, “No... I liked it.”
We make eye contact again.