Summer With the Bertram Brothers

Chapter 9

I drag myself out of bed. The light shines without mercy through my windows. The house is quiet after Doyle and Eva stop shouting and the front door shuts. I brush my teeth rather quickly and get dressed. I notice it’s after 10 and Doyle must be late for work if he just left the house. I walk down the hallway into the kitchen and see mother in her washed out robe. I stare at her as she turns to see me, sipping her coffee.
“Good morning, hun,” her voice cracks, still with sleep. I don’t return the greeting.
“It’s now you decide to get out of your room? It’s been a week!”
“I just needed some rest—”
“Ugh, shut up about your rest! You have everyone here worried! I’m tired of it!” I say. In truth, I’m the only one worrying. After I calm down, I lower my voice, “Why must you take so many pills?”
Suddenly the phone rings. She doesn’t move for two rings, and by the third she picks it up. I roll my eyes, fold my arms and walk out the house. It’s so hot you can hear the sun’s rays sizzling. I feel like a fried egg. But, my anger keeps me walking through the beach towards town. I’m afraid of living the past... As I walk around town, I try to meditate. Maybe I should go by Winnie’s place and spend the day. Maybe the night. I’m sure she’ll succeed at making me forget about my mother. Plus she has great air condition.

I walk in a local shop. The aroma of fresh pastries fills up my nose. I smile as it eases me away from my thoughts. I walk up to the displayed windows full with all sorts of flavoured goodies. I sigh at myself for leaving my bag with my wallet in it at home. I walk around looking at the foods like I’m in a museum. I can only look and not touch. I’m too caught up in my head to go back home in any circumstance. There’s a large bowl with free lollipops. I reach my hand in it to grab the yellow round sugar stick until something poked my side, making me stagger. I twist my head, furious, and see Rico with a big million dollar smile. He should do commercials for teeth whitening strips. My shoulders fall. He looks messy and perfect at the same time. Bed head, khaki shorts, and dirty white Nike shoes.
“What’s up?” he asks. I watch his faint freckles dance on his face as he speaks.
“Nothing,” I look away, back to the bowl.
“You look unhappy,” he comments. I look back at him and raise my chin up.
“I’m delightfully happy. I couldn’t be happier right now,” I reply.
“Of course, I shouldn’t have doubted that.”
I grin a bit, relaxing.
“Want a milkshake?” he says walking up to the counter. As I say no thank you, he orders me one and one for himself. The girl behind the counter beams at him and starts chatting with him about stuff. Afterwards, he comes and hands me a vanilla shake with whip cream at the top.
“Thanks,” I say.
“No prob,” he says, “Unlike you, I’m not particularly in a good mood. So I thought a milkshake would do.”
I stare at his extra large double chocolate fudge shake. I notice his shirt is navy. The absence of red makes him look entirely different.
“A getaway would be nice too,” I add. He seems to always be happy himself. I’m sort of surprise he says he’s not. I guess he puts on a persona, especially on his bad days. We walk out the shop.
“You want to?” he asks me. I look up to eyes with a question face.
“Want to what?”
Rico takes out his car keys from his pocket, “Get away.”