Status: active

Je Ne Regrette Rien

Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Once I’m sure I’ve washed as much as I can of the soot that’s on me, I started kneading the dough for bread. I can smell the fresh smell of cornbread and smile as I take some out of the oven. I cut a few slices then go in the back. I lift a hidden hatch in the floor boards and placed the bread in a basket attached to some rope. I lower the basket down then close the hatch. I’ll come back to check on it when I hear the bell. I go back towards the front and work the counter.
I haven’t seen my mom since this morning, and I’, not allowed downstairs unless she says so, so I’m not sure she’s down there either. The door opens to the shop and I smile as I see my boys.

“Your brothers are working their shifts. We passed them coming out of the mines,” Tyler says as he sits down.

“Tyler Simms!” All of the boys jump upon hearing my mom’s voice. “You boys better go in the back and wash up. I can’t have you dirtying up my shop. I’ll fix you guys something to eat.” While they clean up, I help my mom load up some plates with meat pies.

“Go downstairs and bring up a mason jar.” She says as she searches for some cups. I nod my head and go in the back. I blush as I see Reid shirtless and throwing a bar of soap at Pogue’s head. Reid turned around and smiled at my blushing face.

“Did you come for a show,” he smirks.

I chuckle, “No, I have to go down in the basement.” I shut the door, then open the hatch in the floor. There’s a latch underneath the floorboards. I reach under and pull the latch, thus releasing the foldaway stairs. I climb down into the basement and smile at the men and women who work the still. I grab a jar off the shelf, grab the empty basket, then head back up the stairs. I set the stuff on the floor then lean down to pick up the stairs. The fold back easily and I secure the latch before straightening up and closing the trap door.

The guys are all nice and clean now. I follow them to the front of the shop and pour each boy a glass of moonshine. Mom kisses my forehead before going in the back to get more ingredients.

“How was work,” I ask.

“Wasn’t that bad, the usual really,” Caleb replied before taking a swig of his liquor.
“Yeah, you know it’s actually good that we’re working so hard, we don’t have time to think about Using,” Tyler smiles.

Reid nods, “Yeah, it’s true.”

I smile at that. I found out about the guys secret when I ran across them in the woods. I was on run, taking some moonshine to an old man that lived out past the mines. I heard a crackling fire and went to investigate. I didn’t need to be caught with three jars of moonshine. I found them talking around the fire. I recognized them, they frequented the shop; I stepped towards them and screamed when they all turned their heads to me. Their eyes were coal black!
The boys stood up and quickly caught me. Reid recognized me, probably because whenever we saw each other he was always staring me down. “I don’t think she’s going to tell anybody,” he said to them. “She’s works in the shop that sells the moonshine.”

They were still a little iffy, but I finally grew on them. This was seven months after the world as we once knew it to be, ended. They were nineteen and I was fourteen. Now the boys are twenty-three and there are so happy that Reid is still here and isn’t addicted. And I am too.

I smile as my sister Lilly walks into the shop. The school day is over and now all of the kids must either go home or go to work if they are of age. The legal age to work in Sector 7 is fifteen. Lilly sighs as she sits at the counter and does her homework. “I hate school,” she mumbles.

“Awe, poor Lilly,” I chuckle.

The guys finish up their food then come to the counter to pay for their lunch. They always throw in a little extra for breakfast. Although mom tells them not to, she understands why they do it. Food is hard to come by in all of the sectors, and for mom to be giving away food for four grown men when she has five mouths to feed, including herself, is a lot.

I smile at Reid as he hands me the money. “So, um there’s this party that going on tonight out by the river. You want to come with me?”

I feel myself blushing and nod my head, “Sure, I’ll meet you at your place when I done here.”

Reid smiles and kisses my cheek before running after the guys. I glance over at Lilly and scowl at her for smirking at me. I put the money away then get back to work. Closing time can’t come soon enough.