Status: Finished. :)

From Teammates to Best Friends to Boyfriends?

Dillon

I pulled on my left cleat and stood up. I waited for Ryan, another player, to stand up.

“Boy, I hope Eli doesn’t start anything with the other guys. Remember last year? You weren’t on the team then but don’t you remember people talking about in the halls?” Ryan spoke.

Ryan was a grade above me. He was good looking, I’ll admit and a decent player.

“Uh. . . Yeah, I remember.” I nodded my head.

He turns to me and grinned. I returned the gesture. Then he expectantly smacked my butt!
“Let’s have good game!” He exclaimed and took off down the little hall that leads to the outside.

I blinked and continued going down the hall to meet with the others in the dugout.

Coach pep-talked us for a minute or two and then the game began.

We got in our positions, since guests bat first. Sam, our pitcher and Will, our catcher warmed up a little bit and then the first one up to bat came up. We were playing Valley High School, a school that what in the town over and I recognized the batter. His number was 24 and he actually used to go here but he moved last year. I find it funny, now he’s playing against the team he used to be on.

I was covering left field since coach wanted Eli to cover 3rd base right now. Garrett was on center field and I looked over at him before Sam got into his position. Garret glanced over and we nodded to each other.

I got ready just in case if the ball came my way and waited.

Sam pitched the ball and it caught by Will. Strike one. Did I mention that Sam was one helluva pitcher?

Hannah was in the bleachers along with some other girls. They were cheering us on when we were up to bat.

Quin managed to get to first base but when Ryan went up to bat and (surprisingly) hit it, it went rolling to third base and their third base player was quick enough to throw it to their second base player and they got him out. He came back to dugout, slightly pissed.

“Damn.” He cussed and sat down beside me.

“Hey, we’re going good! 0 to 0 and we got one on first base!” I tried to get his spirits up again.
“Dillon, get ready. You’re up next!” Garret shouted down to me.

I stood up and readjusted my helmet and grabbed my bat.

When it was finally my turn, I didn’t even get to hit it! I got hit in the head with the ball! Coach shouted and asked if I was okay. I nodded but I felt kind of dizzy.

Stupid pitcher. I’ll get him.

I got to walk to first base because I was hit, which sent Quin to second.

The game went on for about an hour and half and we ended up tying.

It was a rough game. A few more, besides me, got hit by the ball. A couple of them actually couldn’t take a base and had to sit out, because they got hit so badly! I still felt dizzy when we play the field and I let the ball get by me which made them score one because they got to home. A couple of my team mates were barking at me for that and they still were.

“Next time, don’t let the ball get pass you, dude.” Quin walked past me and commented as we were out in the parking lot.

Hannah left early during the game and I didn’t get the chance to talk to her.

Garret came over and threw his bag in the back of my truck.

“Don’t listen to him. You played great.” He smiled up at me. His hair clung to his scalp, because he was all sweaty and his uniform had dirt spots. But still, all in all, he was adorable looking. I chuckled at thought and nodded.

“Now, can you please- take me somewhere to get food! I’m starving!” Garret longed the ‘please’ and clapped his hands together and made it look like he was praying.

I laughed and got into the truck and he got into the passenger seat.

We headed to Sonic and ordered and waited for the food to come out.

“Dude, I think that pitcher purposely threw those balls at us to hit us.”

“Hmm. That or he’s just really sucky.”

Garret quietly laughed. “Yeah or that.”

“You staying over?”

“Yeah.”

I nodded and our food was brought out to us by a pretty girl. Garret, being the weird dude he is, started flirting with her.

Like saying: Hey, pretty lady. And asked for her name and introduced himself. And then he wanted ketchup so she had to go back in.

“Quick! You got a pen!” He opened the glove department and took out a pen I ad in there. He actually wrote his number on a napkin.

He picked up the napkins when she came back. I got handed the ketchup and Carret stretched over to hand her the napkins she gave us earlier.

“We don’t need these, hun!” Garret handed her the napkins and she laughed.

“Uh. . .okay. Have a nice night!” And then she laughed.

I turned to Garret and saw he dived into the bag.

He looked up at me and grinned.

“Where did that come from man?” I laughed.

“What? Can I not give a pretty girl my number?” He laughed along.

I shook my head and continued laughing though I felt like it really wasn’t funny. I kind of didn’t like it that Garret just gave his number to girl right there in front of me. I don’t know why, I felt weird. . .

Ah, damn. . .Now I’ve been too quiet and Garret’s looking at me funny.

“Something up?” He asked.

“No.” I shook my head, and chuckled. I had to make him believe that nothing was going on in my head.

But there clearly was.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment? I seriously want to know what every reader thinks. . .

Laura x