Status: Finished. :)

From Teammates to Best Friends to Boyfriends?

Dillon

Since it was my vehicle that was hauling the camper, I had to drive it. Dad’s words right there. I’ve never drove with something attached to the back so it was interesting to see how this would go. Of course Garret rode with me. Mom, dad, and Sammy were in my dad’s car.

Dad wanted to head out early so we all went to bed around ten or so last night. Though Garret didn’t go to sleep till midnight. So right now, he’s passed out in the passenger seat. It reminded me of the time when we went with our friends to the lake and he fell asleep on the way back.

We are camping at the same place we went to over spring break. I had about forty minutes of driving still and I hate driving long distances. So I woke Garret up after five more minutes. I just couldn’t stand the silence any longer.

His hands rubbed at his face roughly and groaned. I offered him my water and he took it.

“How much longer?” He muttered out.

“About thirty minutes.” I answered and turned down the air condition.

Garret yawned and laid his head on the middle seat beside my thigh. I smiled and dropped my right hand to play with his mohawk. He swatted my hand away, but grabbed it and kissed the back of my hand. I poked his cheek and focused back on driving. Garret stayed where he was, which was a weird position with his feet still planted on the ground and his upper body bent to lie down if you asked me.

Then I realized that my parents are in front me and it made me wonder if one them turned around and saw Garret lean down beside me. It made me wonder if they thought that Garret was doing something inappropriate while I was driving. I shuddered and shook my head.

At the lake, we drove to area that is for campers and tents only. It wasn’t the kind of camper that needed to be popped up so setting it up didn’t take long. All we had to do now was put up the stuff in the back of my truck into the camper. Sammy helped out by making the bed in the back and Garret put the perishable food into the refrigerator. I did nothing but sit down and watch them all. I told them I already did my part (by hauling the camper) and they laughed at me.

“Lazy.” I heard Garret comment as he walked by me. I pulled him back and into my lap.

“What’d you say?” I whispered in his ear.

He chuckled and threaded his fingers with mine. Yep. . . This camping trip is going to be a good one.

“Do you want to go for a walk?” He asked, turning around a little to face me. I shrugged. “Sure.”
We walked out of the camper and I told mom that we were going walking. It was hot and the air was sticky feeling and I was kind of regretting my agreement to the walk ahead of us. We ended up going down to the water and walking the bank around the lake. We were soon over by where Liam’s grandparent’s cabin was and I turned to Garret.

“Do you remember our first kiss?” I asked him while pointing up at the cabin up the hill.

He looked up at it and a small smile appeared on his face. “Yeah.” He bit his lip.

I laughed and pulled him closer to me and kissed his cheek. We continued on our walk for a while but we had to turn back at some point because Garret was getting hungry. It was around one when we got back and we snacked on chips in the camper. We ended up playing card games with Sammy too.

Looking at Sammy right now, I wondered if he thinks, like everyone else that mine and Garret’s friendship was a little too friendly. He doesn’t know about our relationship and I’m pretty sure the only kind of couple he knows of is between a girl and a boy. If I had kissed Garret’s cheek or just simply held him close, would Sammy question it in his mind? Would he even notice? These questions may all just be stupid, but I can’t help thinking about it.

So I decided to put my arm around Garret’s back and pulled him closer to me. He didn’t notice. Sammy got up from the table and told us he was getting a drink. When he turned the corner, I looked back at Garret. He seemed very cheerful and swung his legs over mine and let his back rest against the wall. His legs stuck out in the walkway and I looked at Sammy’s cards on the table.

“Should we look at his cards?” I asked with an evil smile.

“No! That would be cheating.” Garret laid a hand over Sammy’s cards to stop me from picking them up. I still tried to get them but Garret wouldn’t let me.

“Whatever, loser.” I mumbled and looked away. Sammy popped back into the sitting area and happily sat back down on the other side while drinking a capri sun.

He starred at his cards for a second and then narrowed his eyes at me. He probably suspected that I looked at his cards, because I usually do when we play at home and he gets up to go to the bathroom or something.

“Did you look at my cards?”

“No, Garret wouldn’t let me.” I laughed.

He scoffed at me and then smiled at Garret. “Thank you, Garret.”

“You’re welcome, bud.” He smiled at Sammy from across the table. I closely watched at how Sammy acted towards Garret. I know he really liked Garret. Back when he was in Kindergarden, he told me that Garret is ‘totally awesome and my best big-guy friend’. I remember acting hurt and asked him why I wasn’t and he giggled at my pout. He told me I was his brother and I didn’t count. But I feel like it’s really important that Sammy likes Garret, because I’m now dating him. Most people feel like that with their family and their lovers, right? They want their siblings or parents to like their boyfriend/girlfriend, because he/she is practically in the family too? But I’m not worried or anything that one day he might start hating on Garret, because Garret doesn’t do anything to make people not like him.

After the game, I spent the rest of the day swimming with Sammy and dad in the swimming hole. Garret really didn’t want to get in the water yet and stayed up at camp with mom and helped her cook burgers for supper. Around nine at night, dad drove us up to the bathrooms and us guys showered up. The bathrooms were four single rooms. Each room had a sink, toilet, and shower. I got in the one beside Garret’s and took my time. The bath water felt nicer than the lake water and the hot water was really relaxing, but at one point I turned it to cold and it felt even better. When I was dry and dressed in my pajama pants only, I bagged up my stuff and walked out of the bathroom. Sammy and dad were standing on the sidewalk and in between the doors of mine and Garret’s bathrooms.

My dad huffed. “Finally one of y’all came out! We’ve been waiting for almost fifteen minutes.” He pointed at himself and my brother. I shrugged my shoulders and turned to Garret’s door. I knocked on it a couple times and asked, “You almost done?”

Garret yelled, “Almost! I’m getting dressed!”

I then started to picture him naked and drying himself off and slipping on his clothes. I had to literally shake the dirty thoughts from my head, because I was not in the right place to be thinking of sexual things especially with my father right beside me. Garret came out a long minute later and dad exclaimed about the next we were walking our asses back. We only laughed at him, including Sammy.

Sammy, mom, and dad went to bed around ten thirty, and Garret and I sat out to look up at the stars. They were very pretty and bright and we tried spotting out the slow moving satellites, but it was hard for me to see them so I mostly just watched Garret look for them who was sitting in my lap.

“There’s one.” He pointed up at the sky and narrowed his eyes. I didn’t change my attention to the satellite and Garret looked down at me. He seemed calm and his breathing was slow and even. Mine matched his and we were just really comfortable with each other at the moment. I leaned up to lightly kiss his cheek. His cheeks reddened right after and I grinned at how he still acts a little shy when I do that un-expectantly.

“You tired?” I asked, yawning at the end. He studied my face for a minute and I wondered what he was thinking about, but then he nodded.

My family left us with the couch that has a board underneath the seat that turns it into a bed and longer, but really we were cramped up on that thing. The only position that was somewhat comfortable was if we spooned, so that’s how we eventually ended up. I kissed Garret’s neck before dozing off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I read over this, so I hope I got all the mistakes. If I didn't, tell me please. :) First day of camping.

More about the sequel: The foreign exchange student is a little nerdy and awkward.