Status: Something I wrote after getting a much-needed spark of inspiration. ^-^

Happy Birthday

1/1

The flickering light of the candles illuminated your face as you approached the cake; it was your eighteenth birthday. The party was small, only four or five people including me and your parents, but I knew you liked it that way. You were never one for being in the spotlight.

I watched your face light up as we all sang you happy birthday. Someone snapped a picture. I remember begging them for a copy sometime after. You leaned forward, inhaling, the intake of air causing your cheeks to puff up rather adorably. Then you blew, extinguishing the candles and reducing the small flames to smoke. We all cheered and you grinned again, the one that showed off your teeth and never failed to send my heart fluttering.

Later that night, we headed to my messy apartment, cuddling on my bed through clothes that had gotten soaked from the rain outside. Your head rested in the crook of my neck and I breathed in through my nose, memorizing your scent that was like flowers and perfume. I took your hand, surveying my birthday present to you, the small diamond glinting in the moonlight. It was small and cost nearly all of my meager paycheck, but you loved it anyway.

You lifted your head, staring into my eyes with your pale green ones. And you smiled again. God, I couldn't get enough of that smile.

"I love you," you whispered.

I grinned, bending down to catch your lips with mine. If there was anything I loved more than your smile, it was your mouth on mine; the feel of it was intoxicating.

"I love you, too," I responded breathlessly as I broke away. "And happy birthday."
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's short, but I kind of like this style of writing now. Short, sweet, and to the point. But then again, it isn't really about what I think. So post a comment to tell me what you think. After all, silent reading is highly discouraged.