Tearing Love Apart

Grocery Shopping

Amanda's P.O.V

It was a typical Saturday afternoon at the grocery store. There were young kids throwing fits to their agitated mothers over treats they wanted but couldn't have. Of course there were elderly woman slowly pushing their squeaking carts down the aisle, holding me up as I waited for them to move. I just wanted to get my grocery shopping done so I could get home to my daughter.

I didn't want to go home to Jim, my husband. It worried me having Sophia home alone with him for this long. He drank too much all the time and has on occasion gotten physical. Never with Sophia, but with me. I knew it was a bad situation to be in, but I hadn't figured out a way to get out of it yet. It has been going on for six long years now. Right before Sophia was born is when it started.

"Excuse me, mam, uh, I'm really dumb at this sort of thing," a young man started to ask me, "but, what do I use to get grass stains out of jeans?"

I sighed and turned around to meet the face of an attractive man. He had brown, short hair and blue eyes and was very fit. I smiled and said, "This stuff right here should work," pointing to a cleaning product, "It's what I always use." I smiled.

"Thanks. I'm just really stupid when it comes to laundry stuff." He chuckled.

"It's okay. I promise one day you'll become a professional." I chuckled. This guy was, I don't know, different. And I liked it.

"I'm Jake." He smiled.

"Amanda." I replied.

"Nice to meet you. Wanna maybe get coffee tomorrow morning?" He asked, looking hopeful.

I sighed. "I'm sorry, it's just, I'm married. I wish I could."

"It's nothing serious, just coffee. What can it hurt?" He asked innocently. If he only knew...

"How's 9:00 sound?" I asked. That way I could drive Sophia to school and Jim would be at work.

"Sounds perfect." We exchanged numbers before going our separate ways. There was something about him that made me feel giddy. A feeling I haven't felt in what felt like forever.

I was waiting in line at the register when my eyes scanned to the tabloids. And that's when I saw him. It was Jake on the cover of one! "Oh my god." I murmured to myself. I knew I recognized him.

After grocery shopping, I got in my car, still thinking about the fact that Jake Gyllenhaal wanted to get coffee with me, and just as I was starting it up, I heard my cell phone beep, signaling I had a new text.

"This better be Amanda or I will be really disappointed." it read. It was Jake. I smiled.

"Sorry, wrong number. Kidding!" I chuckled at my own response before hitting send and heading home.

I smiled when I pulled in to the driveway to see Sophia riding her tricycle around the small cement area. She grinned and moved to the side so I could pull into the garage.

"Hey honey! Where's Daddy?" I asked.

"Inside sweeping." She sighed. I rolled my eyes. All he ever did was work,drink, and sleep.

I put the groceries away as quietly as possible, knowing Jim was passed out on the couch. Sophia ran inside and said, "Mommy! The neighbors got a new puppy and wet me pet him!"

Before I could respond, Jim woke up. "Sophia be QUIET! I told you I was sleeping!"

"Sorry Daddy." She said sadly before sitting at the counter quietly.

Jim came out in the kitchen and searched through the fridge. "Where's the beer?"

I forgot to buy beer. Shit.

"Uhm, I'm sorry, I forgot it, but I can go get some." I said quickly.

Jim's face was red in anger. "Dammit, Amanda, I ask for ONE thing and you can't do that!" He yelled, causing Sophia to flinch.

"I'm sorry, I'll go right now." I said quietly.

"It's fine." He muttered. It wasn't fine.

That night, after dinner, I gave Sophia a bath and got her ready for bed. "Why's Daddy get mad?" She asked.

I sighed, knowing one day this question would come up. "He's just...stressed from work, honey. It will get better." I explained, running my fingers through her hair. I wished every day of my life that it was true, but in reality, it wasn't. It never got better.

"I love you." I said, kissing her before turning off her lamp and leaving the room.

I really hoped things would get better.
♠ ♠ ♠
First chapter, let me get some comments! I'll be adding a new chapter today!