Tearing Love Apart

Somebody save me from this nightmare.

Amanda's P.O.V.

Jake and I have been talking via text and seeing each other for about two months now. When I wasn't around him, I missed him. When I sat at the dinner table with my husband and daughter, I imagined him sitting across from me instead of the hateful man that stumbled to dinner every night. The man that no matter how much time I spent on dinner, would criticize every part of it. I just wanted Jake.

"Hey, I gotta go to Phoenix for a week for work. Think you can take care of Sophia that long on your own?" Jim asked, carelessly tossing clothes into a suite case. I knew what Phoenix meant. It actually meant having a week long drinking binge with all of his friends who lived there.

"Yeah, that's fine." I faked a smile.

"K, see ya." He muttered before walking out the front door. He didn't kiss me goodbye or even take any notice to his daughter sitting at the counter.

Sophia and I sat in peaceful silence. She was coloring in her coloring book and I was working on making chicken for dinner.

"Can we have fun while Daddy's gone?" She asked.

I smiled, "Yeah! Tonight since it's a weekend we can watch movies. How's that sound?" I asked.

"Good." She grinned.

I thought about Jake. I wished he was here. My mind started reeling.

"I met a new friend a little bit ago. His name's Jake. How about we invite him over tonight for dinner and movies?" I suggested.

"Okay!" Sophia grinned.

I smiled and texted Jake, asking if he wanted to hangout since Jim was away. Just a few minutes after hitting send, I got a response. "Of course! Be over soon, love. ;)"

45 minutes later, I heard a car pull into the driveway. I smiled widely before walking outside in the garage and waiting for Jake to get out of his car.

"Hey!" I smiled.

Jake grinned back, "Hey, pretty." He held his arms open for hug. I accepted and snuggled close to the chest I missed so much. "Miss me?" He murmured against me.

I nodded before looking up into his blue eyes and pressing my lips to his. "Ready to meet Sophia?" I asked, wearily.

"Yeah. Will she say anything to Jim?" He asked.

"She never speaks a word to him. Ever. He doesn't ask her anything or talk to her unless he's yelling about something." I explained.

Jake nodded and followed me inside, holding my hand lightly. "Soph! There's someone I want you to meet!" I called out.

Sophia shyly walked into the kitchen, hiding behind my leg. "Can you say hi to Jake?" I asked.

"Hi." She smiled.

Jake crouched down to her level. "Hey! How old are you?" He asked.

Sophia held up one hand, "Five." She smiled.

"Wow! You're a big girl now, huh?" He smiled.

Sophia nodded and blushed. Just as I was about to say something, the timer for the oven went off.

"Dinner's done!" I smiled, removing the little girl from my legs.

That night, we sat at the dinner table, talking and laughing. The way a family should. For once, I didn't feel miserable in my own house. I felt so incredibly happy.

As I was loading the dishwasher, I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist. "Want me to help?" He asked.

"You can help me by helping Soph pick out a movie for tonight?" I suggested, turning and smiling. He kissed my lips and smiled before going to find the little girl.

After starting the dishwasher, I walked into the living room to find Jake sitting on the couch, the Disney movie just starting, and Sophia sitting happily next to Jake, her feet dangling off the couch and his arm dangling over his shoulder. I smiled and thought to myself, "This is how it's supposed to be."

"Where am I supposed to sit?!" I joked.

Jake snickered, "C'mere." He patted the cushion next to him.

I sat down next to him and smiled at him before resting my legs up on his lap. He grinned at me, but said nothing because I'm sure whatever he would have said wouldn't have been appropriate for my daughter to hear.

The movie was on for about twenty five minutes before we noticed Sophia fall asleep against Jake's chest.

"I'll take her to bed. Go ahead and change the channel." I said, taking the little girl in my arms. She stirred lightly.

"I wanna say 'night to Jake." She pouted. My heart melted, and by the look on Jake's face, his did too. He stood up and ran his fingers through her soft hair.

"Night sweetie. Maybe I'll see ya tomorrow?" He suggested.

"Yeah." She mumbled, falling back asleep.

After putting Sophia to bed, I went and changed into pajamas. When I walked back out to the living room, Jake was still sitting on the couch, watching tv. I plopped down on the spot next to him.

"She already loves you." I smiled.

"Yeah?"

I nodded, "Mhmm. She's not used to the men in her life giving her much positive attention."

Jake nodded, smiling. "Y'know, seeing her and being around her just...it gets me thinking."

"About?" I asked, snuggling close to him.

"The fact that...I dunno...I don't like her being here...or you." He said, poking my nose, causing it to wrinkle.

"I know, Jake. I just don't know how to get out without him coming for me." I murmured.

"You can't just let time pass, Amanda," he sighed, "I don't want to tell you what to do, but, I just, I don't you too wait to long and for it to be too late."

"Too late for what?" I asked.

"I don't want to see Sophia go down a bad path. I want her safe. I want you safe. I will help you leave here, 'Manda. Neither of you deserve to live like this. To live in fear." He explained.

"Just give me some time to think about all this, Jake. It's a lot to take in." I explained.

"Kay. But sooner or later, I'm going to have to do something. I can't just sit here and watch silently. I care about you way too much." He said.

"Thank you." I smiled. He had no idea what those words really meant to me.

Jake smiled and cuddled me close to his chest before kissing me gently.

"Wanna stay here tonight?" I asked.

"Sure. Can we sleep out here though, or in a guest room or something?" Jake smiled shyly.

I giggled. "Of course."

Jake helped me grab pillows and blankets and got the pull out bed ready. Jake laid down and I followed suit and cuddled close to his chest.

"Jake." I whispered.

"Mmm?" he replied, running his fingers through my hair.

"Can you wait to fall asleep until I do?" I asked.

"Sure...why?" He lightly chuckled.

"Because...I feel safe when you're here...and I know if you fall asleep before me I'll worry that Jim will show up." I replied quietly.

Jake leaned down and kissed my ear. "I will never let anything or anyone hurt you. Ever."

And that was the last thing I heard before I fell into a deep sleep with Jake's arms wrapped around me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments??