Big City Dreams

Dear Nessa,

Well as you already know because you texted me for my address I am I the great city of New York. I drove in at night. Times Square was all aglow and gorgeous. I stayed in a motel last night, but once the sun rose I hit the pavement hard. Step one: find a place to live. I pulled out the old fashioned classifieds and looked at a plethora of apartments. They were all terrible Janessa. They were dirty and small and unsafe. I was afraid for my life a few times.

After looking at apartments for about three hours I sat at this dumpy diner drinking coffee and eating pie. The coffee was bitter and the pie was too crumbly. It made me miss Aunt Cindy’s more than anything. I almost turned around. I almost tucked my tail between my legs and ran. I almost got in my car and drove right on back to Kentucky. I would apologize to Owen. We would buy that house on the corner of main and fifth that we’ve always loved. A few years down the road we’d have a big white wedding. I would work at the bakery. Maybe take it over someday. Life would be back to how it was supposed to be. I was so close.

The waitress came and poured more coffee into my cup. She caught a glance at the craigslist page open on my computer screen.

“Oh honey, you ain’t gunna find a respectable place to live on there,” she said. The southern twang in her voice sent a pang to my stomach. I expected to see a cute old lady when I looked up, but the waitress was more my age. She had a long blonde braid hanging off one shoulder. Her big blue eyes smile right along with her red lips. “You’re in luck. My roommate just moved back to her hometown last week and I’m looking for a new one. I get off in an hour and can show it to you then.”

“That would be so awesome. I’m Addalyn by the way,” I said.

“I’m Nicole. You from Kentucky?”

I nodded with the biggest smile on my face. “Tennessee?” I asked her. Her face filled with pride.

The apartment was perfect. It was the nicest thing I had seen all day, Ness. It was small, but it would only be the two of us. The layout was simple. Two bedrooms separated by a bathroom. A living room and a tiny kitchen.

“When can I move in?” Nicole laughed.

I almost turned around Ness. I almost ran back home. But I can do this.

Love Always,
Addie

P.S- My underwear is yellow (: