Big City Dreams

Dear Addi,

I am going to kick that little boy’s ass. You and Owen have been through so much together. You two practically got married when you were like ten. You were going to give up your life savings so he could buy out the auto shop. He won’t follow you to New York. What he can’t open and auto shop in the Big Apple? I’m pretty sure there is steam coming out of my ears I’m so mad. This is ridiculous.

So, I sort of make a mistake. A few hours after I read the letter I gave it to Dash to read. Now that I know the outcome of this situation I should have foreseen it. I was just so mad at the time. I needed someone to share my anger with. Well, yeah, bad thinking on my part. Dash read the letter and was even angrier than I was. Dash has always been super overprotective of you and he’s Owen’s best friend. And Dash has that really bad temper that he inherited from his dad’s side.

“That dumbass threw away the best thing he ever had because of that!”

“Dash calm down. I’m mad too, but we can’t just go getting into their lives.”

“Like hell we can’t. He should have gone to New York with her. He should be there right now. Addi shouldn’t have to do this alone.”

Dash stormed out of my room and stomped down the stairs. I didn’t have to ask where he was going. I slid into the passenger seat of his truck before he could tell me not to. Dash was too infuriated to protest. Not that I would have listened. Dash sped through town (I’m surprised he didn’t get pulled over). It took us a whole five minutes to get from my house to the auto shop due to the speed Dash felt necessary for the journey. He slammed the door of his truck and yelled for Owen. He emerged from the office wiping oil of his hands on a dirty rag. Dash didn’t even give him a chance to say hi. He just started yelling.

“What the hell is wrong with you? I know for a fact you had a ring ready to ask Addi to marry you and next thing I know she’s moving off to New York without you. And you won’t tell me what the hell happened. And then Nessa gets this explaining the whole thing. You lost the love of your life because you’re dumb enough to not let her follow her dreams? Addi’s been talking about Broadway and New York since she knew how to talk. Why did this come as a surprise to you? You should have followed her anywhere. That’s what a good boyfriend does. You should have pulled out the ring and then gone to New York with her. But you’re a pansy ass who would rather sulk around town than be happy.”

I could tell Owen was shocked. Dash and Owen have fought before, but nothing like this.

“Dude my relationship with Addalyn is none of your business. Just stay out of it.”

“Of course it’s my business. I lost one of my best friends because you’re a dumbass.”

And then Owen swung. His fist landed smack dab in the middle of Dash’s eye. Before I knew it it was an all-out brawl. Fists were flying. They were rolling on the ground. They were screaming at each other. I tried to break it up, but got shoved aside. And you know how the guys are around this town. You just have to let them fight it out sometimes.

One thing Owen yelled did catch my attention though. I figured he was just yelling about how Dash needed to stay out of his business. Until I heard your name. “You think you lost Addi. You may have lost a good friend, but I lost the love of my life because of my dumb mistake and there’s no turning back now.”

He does still love you Addi. He still wants to be with you, he just doesn’t know what to do. Lord knows boys around here ain’t good at apologizing.

Hope you’re doing well. Tell me more about New York!
-Janessa