Someone Like Serenity

One

Rain drummed on the roof, it lashed at the window. It was nearing midnight as thirteen year old Rylan sat at his desk writing a suicide note in his composition book by lamp light, clenching his father's .38 caliber handgun in his left hand, tears spilling profusely down his cheeks. He'd stolen the gun from his father's closet earlier in the day while his parents' were out grocery shopping and his younger sister, Stephine, was at her best friends house. Father had no clue Rylan had the gun -- nobody did. If they had Rylan would have been compelled to find another weapon for what he was intending to do. The letter he was currently writing was not only directed at his family but also to a girl who attended the same school he did: Serenity Cowley. Easily the most gorgeous, popular, humble girl to ever have the pleasure to inhabit this planet. Like every other boy at his school, Rylan had fallen head over heels in love with her the moment he laid eyes on her.

During the summer holidays Rylan and Serenity had started IM'ing each other via AOL. It wasn't long before a relationship bloosmed between the two. Rylan told Serenity almost everything about himself. Believing he could trust her, he had begun telling her personnal things. Things he had no intentions whatsoever of others knowing about because he was already bullied at school and knew if anything got out he'd be picked on worse than ever. In return, Serenity had told Rylan some of her dark secrets. Some of which her best friend, Kayla, knew nothing about.

All summer Rylan was on cloud nine. He had finally gotten the girl of his dreams! His first girlfriend! He couldn't help but brag to anyone who'd listen. He even went as far as informing his parents' that he was going to marry Serenity the moment he graduated high school. Of course his parents' did not believe him. He was a young teenage boy after all and staying in a relationship with his first girlfriend through the rest of junior high and all of high school would hardly be easy like he assumed, though they never told him this they only smiled and said, "I'm sure you will, Rylan." He could hardly wait for the new school year to start up again just to see Serenity and show off that he had landed the hottest girl in the entire school. He couldn't wait to see the jealous look on practically every guys face.

On the first day of school with a bounce in his step, a huge grin plastered on his face Rylan had approached Serenity who was near the bike rack chatting with a couple of her friends. He had every intention to proudly escort her to first period.... That was until she totally embarrassed him. It turned out Serenity hadn't really loved him but was merely pretending as a joke her and Kayla had cooked up one day out of pure ennui. Laughing, she continued, "oh my god, Rylan, I can't believe you actually believed that. You are so gullible. Why would I date you? You're such a loser, everyone knows this. Heck even kids who don't even attend this school knows this."

Heart aching, Rylan turned from her, his eyes burned with tears, Serenity's laugh resounding in his ears. "You know," he said to Serenity, "you're the type of girl one would literally kill themselves for." Then he ran from her, never looking back.

The past two months passed in a haze. Rylan kept to himself, never looking anyone in the eye or uttering a single word. At home he shut himself in his room all day only leaving to use the bathroom and to eat and to attend school. His parents' became worried. Worried he'd injure himself. Worried he'd doing something rash and kill himself. His mother tried to get out of the house most days, but he always declined. Numberous times they tried to get help for him. He didn't want it and tried to convince them that he was fine. But that was far from the truth, Rylan was depressed. He, as well as his parents' and Stephine, knew this. All he really wanted was for the pain to cease, to go back in time and stop himself from ever falling in to Serenity's trap.

Time and again Father told him not to worry about her that one day he'd find a girl who'd love him and would be willing to spend the rest of her life with him. Girls would come and go in life, but there would be one that'd stick. Rylan had to be patient, she was coming as fast as she can. Nevertheless, Rylan hardly believed his father. What girl would want to be with him? He was a loser. Something everyone, including himself, knew as a fact. Something, sadly, his parents' did not believe.

However, none of these thoughts resurface as he sat in his room alone, sobbing, the rain outside getting heavier by the minute. When he finished writing he closed the composition book without glancing at what he'd just written. Raising the gun with a shaky hand to his head he toke his last deep breath, closing his eyes he pulled the trigger.

The deafening bang woke everyone in the house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment?