Status: Guess who's back, bitches <3

Shut Your Eyes

Apologies

*Max POV*

Margaux was going to kill me.

If Maggie had a motto it would be pensez avant de parler, or in other words, think before you speak. She has always been my own little fortune cookie, always quick with a gentle smile and a softly spoken word of wisdom whenever I needed it. The problem was, I never listened and it always found a way to come back and bite me in the ass. Today was no exception.

When Sidney asked me who I was talking to on the phone I should have laughed it off and told him to mind his own business. Instead, Maggie’s name came flying out of my mouth faster than I could stop it. Captain Canada got a strange look on his face as he tried to place the name.

“His sister, Sid.” Flower called from a few lockers down.

“The one Max is hiding from us?” Jordan interrupted, a blonde mop of hair shooting up above the rest.

Marc nodded. “That’s the one. Max, now that she’s back in town for a while you should bring her to a practice and introduce her to everyone.”

Sidney’s ears perked up slightly. “When did she get into town?”

Kris came over with Geno, ignoring Sidney’s question and adding one of his own. “She’s in town and you weren’t going to tell us?”

Jordan wandered over too, a smirk playing on his face. “You know damn well why he didn’t tell us, Tanger.”

I shot him a look, not liking where this conversation was going. Mentally I was kicking myself for saying her name out loud.

Sidney piped up again. “Why didn’t he tell us?”

“Drop it, boys.” I ordered, gathering my things so I could leave before they started getting any ideas.

Geno ignored me, pointing a large finger at one of the pictures I had taped up in my locker. It was a strip of pictures from a photo-booth in LeMoyne that we stumbled upon last Christmas.

“Max didn’t tell because sister very pretty.”

His English was broken, but his comment caught Sidney’s attention, as well as the rest of the small group that was gathered around my locker. Before they could do anything, I snatched the picture off the wood and tucked it into my jacket pocket. I’d managed to go almost four seasons without anyone noticing that picture; I had even taped it up at the top half of my locker so my jacket would hang over it.

“As much as I’d love to sit around and listen to you talk about how hot my sister is, I have to go.” I grabbed my bag and slung it over my shoulder before trying to leave. Flower blocked my path.

“We were going to get lunch, do you want to come?” Marc asked with a laugh, amused at how uncomfortable I was getting with the conversation.

“Not today Marc, I’ve got plans.

His face lit up dangerously. “Lunch with Margaux?”

I should have kept my mouth shut, but I didn’t. “Oui Marc, lunch with Maggie.”

It was all downhill from there.

“We’ll all go!” Flower suggested cheerfully.

I shook my head and tried to push past him. “No, you assholes won’t.”

Kris came and stood next to Marc with a smirk, helping him block the exit. He turned to Marc and nudged him on the shoulder. “Should we bring lunch to her? She is staying with Max, right?”

I scowled at them, pulling out my phone to text her. Instead of bringing lunch home, I’d just ask her to meet me somewhere.

Marc smiled at Kris’ suggestion. “That’s a great idea. Staalsy, Chinese or Italian?”

Jordan didn’t even look up from tying his shoelaces. “Chinese.”

Marc suddenly noticed the cell phone in my hand. Using his goalie skills he shot out an arm and smacked my phone from my grasp, catching it in midair and tossing it to Sid.

“Marc!” I tried to grab it as it flew over my head, but it was just out of my reach.

“Sid, call that Chinese place you like and order a lot of food.” Marc demanded lightly.

I turned my attention on Sidney who was now dialing the restaurant. I snatched at the phone only to get smacked away by Geno who now wore a wicked grin on his face. Sid giggled girlishly as he dodged behind Geno, using him as a human shield.

“You guys are assholes.” I said matter-of-factly.

Usually I was the one messing with people in the locker room, but with one mention of Maggie I turned into the victim. Kris and Marc were laughing at me from the entryway, with Jordan (who had come over after tying his shoes) and Geno forming a barrier between Sidney and I. I shook my head and gave up the fight. There was no stopping them at this point.

“Sid, at least get some spring rolls so she doesn’t hate me as much.” His dark head bobbed up and down in a nod as he rattled off order after order, getting enough food to feed a small army.

Marc and Kris gave each other a fist bump as a wide grin spread across Jordan’s face. I was fucked.

………………………………………………………………………………….

I drove home as fast as I could, not even bothering to close the garage door after I pulled in. Thankfully the door was unlocked, so I ran inside and immediately began looking for Maggie. Her bruises probably looked worse today than they did last night, and I could only hope she had them covered up already. I knew she didn’t want anyone to see the purple and black splotches that littered her skin.

I ran straight to her room, panicking when she wasn’t in there. “Maggie?” I called out, hoping she heard me.

My ears suddenly picked up on her melodic voice. “Je suis dans la cuisine, Maxime.” (I’m in the kitchen, Maxime.)

I ran into the living room and saw her sitting on top of the island in the kitchen. A short wave of relief washed over me when I realized her bruises were covered up. She was calm, but not for long. Not knowing where to start, I just began apologizing.

“J'ai essayé de les arrêter.” (I tried to stop them.) She was confused. I could tell by the way she cocked her head to the side and furrowed her eyebrows.

“Qui avez-vous essayé arrêter?” (Who did you try to stop?) My mind barely registered that words had come out of her mouth. I was on a roll.

“Ils ne voulaient pas prendre non pour une réponse.” (They wouldn’t take no for an answer) Maggie was staring at me like I had just grown a second head. She raised one eyebrow, trying to piece together the small bits of information I’d provided her with.

“Maxime, ce que tu racontes?” (Maxime, what are you talking about?) The doorbell ringing cut through my train of thought. Oh shit.

Maggie slid off the counter and walked out of the kitchen in the direction of the foyer. Her bare feet made almost no sound on the hardwood floor. Her hair was down, the dark brown curls reaching past her shoulders and sticking out in every direction. Like me, she had perpetual bed-head. Unlike me, hers always looked nice.

Maggie opened the door slowly, peering out through the crack before opening it wider. The boys all stood on the stoop, smug grins plastered to their faces. Flower’s was the biggest of all. I spotted a huge white paper bag resting in his arms. How they managed to pick up lunch and still arrive only minutes after me was a mystery.

Marc greeted Maggie, and that’s when it happened. Slowly, she turned to face me. She looked like a deer in the headlights: blue eyes wide, mouth slightly agape. Absentmindedly she touched a hand to the scarf that hung around her neck. A twinge of guilt pricked at my heart. I knew she hated surprises. To make matters worse, not only was this a surprise, this was an ambush.

She suddenly looked very small next to the boys. The look on her face was familiar. I’d seen it once before when she was in college and showed up to my practice with a black-eye. Margaux told me she’d gotten hit with a puck during a game of street hockey with some boys from her dorm. Foolishly, I’d showed her off to the boys in the locker room, telling them my sister had gotten her first hockey injury. Later I would find out how wrong I was.

She didn’t want anyone to find out about her bruises. Maggie had come to Pittsburgh to feel safe and her first day back I had fed her to the wolves. At that moment I wanted nothing more than to go to the door and shove my teammates out of her safe-haven. Instead, I offered her a sheepish grin.

“Désolé?” (Sorry?)
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the last of the re-posted chapters, so anything after this is new. Once again, I'm really sorry about the chapters getting deleted :( Technology is great when it works, and a pain in the ass when it doesn't.

A huge hello to all my readers! And a special secret handshake to those who comment & subscribe :)

Chapter 6 is already mostly written so it'll be out soon, and Sidney will be in it! yay :D

Stay excellent, you guys.

- <3 C