Status: active af

Fallacies of Fidelity

Winter

Alec's POV

Julia was still giggling when Rex came back. “This is going to be one hell of a fun night.” He continued past us and into his house.

“You've street-raced before?” I asked.

She finally stopped laughing but was now holding her stomach. “You just gave me a serious ab work out. Yeah, I've 'street-raced' before.” She air quoted the words.

“But... how? I don't understand.”

“Well, to be honest, it's not that hard.” Julia leaned back to stretch her stomach. Her movement caused her shirt to ride up, but she quickly pulled her shirt down and adjusted her puffy vest. Her outfit... it seemed suddenly familiar to me but I couldn't put my finger on why.

“Wait,” I shook my head. “'Not that hard?'”

“Yeah, you slam your foot on the pedal and drive.”

“I'm guessing you haven't street-raced very often then.”

She stood up straight and slowly narrowed her eyes. “Are you telling me I don't know how to drive a car?”

“No, not at all. I'm saying that I don't think you know how to street-race. There's two different types of driving, alright?” I began to quote Rex. “'There's the mundane, snore worthy driving of everyday life; then there's the orgasmic, adrenaline filled, nightlife driving of street-racing.'”

The left side of her mouth kicked up as she folded her arms. “Interesting quote.”

“Rex always says it. He's right too.”

“So, you think that I couldn't beat you racing?” Julia asked as she leaned back to sit on the hood of her Camaro.

“I know you couldn't. And maybe you were pretty decent when you lived here before Africa. You've been out of practice for seven years, Jules. I'd crush you.” I shrugged.

“Then let's watch you crush me.” She turned to head into her car.

“What? Jules wait!”

“What's going on out here?” Rex asked when he got outside. He had changed into his classic leather jacket and some jeans. Perfect for the man who ran the racing every weekend. “Oh hell. What are you doing Julia?” She had her car door open when her car hummed to life.

“Scratch off whoever was racing tonight, Rex.” Her head poked out as she rolled down her window with a grin. “I'm racing Alec.”

“But you said--” he started.

“Get in the car, Rex!” she shouted.

“Ah fuck, kid.” He looked at me then shook his head.

“Julia wait! You don't have to prove anything to me.” I said to her. She got in her Camaro, then rolled down her window.

“You're damn right I don't have to prove anything to you.” She rubbed her dashboard. “My baby wanted mommy to drive her tonight, that's what I'm doing. Rex, I told you to get your ass in here!” She rolled up her window without another word. My hand ran through my hair, then tugged at it in frustration.

“Follow us then.” Rex said.

“What the hell is she doing?”

“Julia Haddock can take care of herself, Alec. Let's get that straight.” He pointed at me. He had that sharp look in his eyes that he only got when I was doing something wrong. “She can do whatever she wants and no one can stop her. I had to learn that the hard way. Your lucky I'm not making you learn the hard way too.” Rex went to open the door but stopped and looked up at me. “Actually, you might just learn the hard way tonight.” He got in and slammed the door.

With a great huff, I jumped into my car, blasted some rock music, and followed them. The shop's garage door opened up and we rolled through onto the street.

I couldn't believe her. She thinks street-racing is easy? She thinks it's safe? With one wrong twitch of the hand, her car could flip into oblivion and she might not ever make it out. It's a dangerous hobby. I never told my family about my weekends or that I spent my free time at Rex's shop. My father would most likely disown me. My eldest brother, Drew, would scold me. Nicholas would be upset I didn't take him with me. And Ruby wouldn't have a clue what the hell street-racing is.

I was looking for a second opinion on Dana when I came across Rex's shop. The heat wasn't working, my brakes squeaked, and occasionally she would make a clicking noise that had me convinced she was possessed. He said it could be fixed but, it would have to be by my hands. Rex also said it would be free of charge and all he asked for in return was to make a mechanic out of me. I guess he was just that desperate. I wouldn't have changed a thing about how things turned out, though. I love Rex's shop. I love that he introduced me to street racing. What I don't love is that he used to date Julia. I wonder if Rex thinks of me as competition? I think I could put up a fight but the man is a giant! I wouldn't stand a chance if he decided to take her back.

We just reached one of the normal locations where Rex hosted and took bets for the races when he hopped out of Julia's car to do his job. There was already a large group of people here but, I knew that in about fifteen minutes there would be almost a hundred eager gamblers. The course was was an unusual one. It was for when the cops would get suspicious of our regular locations. This was off the beaten path, as 'off the beaten path' New York can get. It was a straight shoot for about a mile where it met a sharp U turn to come back.

Julia got out of her car, sliding on her sunglasses. I watched as she caressed the hood of the Camaro, talking to it. Immediately, I jumped out and came over to her.

"You're such a pretty girl. I missed you so much, baby," she whispered. My stomach tightened at the endearment. "Nothing you say can sway me not to race, Alec." I didn't realize she knew I was behind her. Her head turned slightly so I only saw her profile.

"Julia--"

"Alec you are walking on a slippery slope here." She turned and faced me head on. "You may think you know me. We only met about a month ago. There are many things you do not know about me. But you should know this..." she took a step closer to me and let her sunglasses fall down her nose so I could she her intense eyes. "My decisions are my own. I rely on no one. I don't need you. Alec, I enjoy your company, much to my dismay. When I see this overprotective side of you, I don't enjoy you so much." God, I felt like a kid again when my dad would scold me incessantly. My heart was pounding and I couldn't tear my eyes from hers. "So let me make my own choices, dammit." Julia shoved her sunglasses up her nose and walked away from me.

It took me another seven minutes before I even dared to move. Julia could be scary when she wanted to be. I was still taking shaky breaths, trying to recover when Rex began. "Ladies and gentleman and everyone in between, welcome to a street race that is sure to go down in history!" People cheered wildly. "We have our Mute!" His arm raised to me. Before anyone could look at me, I raised the folded bandanna around my neck up so it covered my mouth. I also pulled my baseball hat slightly lower. When everyone turned to me, I made my way forward. The racer girls pounced on me like they always did, fawning over me. I was just glad I chose the Mute as my alias years ago.

There are many things about about street racing that is normal. Rex's races weren't ever really normal. For one, there were many racer's who went under different names so we didn't get recognized. Names like mine or Julia's could be potentially problematic if we were found out. Rex's races were sporadic. Some weekends he's only have two racers go at it. Other races, Rex would have a long course for anywhere between three to ten racers. Sometimes all cars would race, or he'd have a mix of motorcyclists.

"Get ready folks. You've heard the legends, you've seen the races online but tonight, you get to see the racer in action tonight!" My eyebrows pulled together watching Rex. "The notorious street racer... Haley Winters!" My body jerked when I realized why her outfit seemed slightly familiar.

Julia Haddock was Haley Winters; one of the most wanted and famous street racers to date...? Haley Winter's gained a cult following after she beat out 'Mad Dog' Williams in Tokyo five years ago. 'Mad Dog' Williams being the Formula One sixteen time winner of Grand Prix's everywhere. I don't know why he risked his career to check out what all the street racing hype was about. He worked for Formula One for fucks sake. After the race, Williams had hopped out of his vehicle, shook her hand. Then said his famous last words before she broke his nose and the video cut out, "You're okay, for a girl." The video online had millions of views. I shook my head, this just wasn't possible. Julia's been in Africa for the last seven years. Hasn't she?

The crowd was going crazy. They all had their phones out, taking pictures and videos and I knew this race would be online as well. With barely a nod towards them, Julia turned and walked back to her car to get into position. I was still staring at her car when Rex announced, "Are you deaf as well as mute? I said drivers in position, Mute!" I heard some people laughing but with a growl, they silenced. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw several regulars switching their bets with Rex. I rolled my shoulders and went to get in my Lotus. I jumped in, blasted my rock music, and drove so I was next to Julia's Camaro. My head itched to look to my left to see her. I held strong and stared ahead of me.

She's pretending to be a famous street racer? Is that what this was? The thought of that really ground my gears. My knuckles turned white with how hard they griped the steering wheel. Just then "Sledgehammer" by Art vs Science blasted through my speakers. I breathed in the music and when I opened my eyes Julia was already off. I must have missed the count down! I instinctively slammed my foot on the gas.

Even if she was faking, she was one hell of a racer. My Lotus easily caught up with her but speed wasn't always key. Haley Winter's was known for her strategy. She was known to talk with racers beforehand to get a read on what kind of racer they were. Then she set her strategy in place to win. At least, that's what I assumed. Either way, Haley Winter's always won. Alright, so maybe I was little fanboy about the racer. But Haddock as Winters? My foot pressed harder til I was at full speed. I got right on her tail when her car unceremoniously jerked to my right and she braked. I searched in my rear view mirror but I couldn't see a thing. I checked my mirrors on the side view mirrors but still nothing. I was starting to get worried. I wanted to slow down and search for her but the sharp U turn was coming too fast to avoid. My foot switched to brake and my hand changed gears as I made my turn a little too wide. Then suddenly it was like everything was in slow motion.

I found Julia's car. My too wide turn had an impossibly narrow space inside. In that small space, the Camaro had found room enough to squeezed in. The passenger side window was rolled down. Julia wasn't even watching where she was driving. Her sunglasses was MIA but her eyes burned with ferocity. She was staring directly in my eyes with her right fist held out. Her middle finger was up.

Time sputtered up to speed and when I'd finally made my turn, Julia was already halfway to the finish line. I slammed the gas and switched gears again, straightening my car in the process. I was fast but she had somehow gotten really ahead of me. I pressed my gas pedal further but it was not use. She was slowing down and was about two seconds from passing the finish line yet I was still embarrassingly far behind.

I got to the finish line, skidded my car to a stop, and yanked my car door open. There, leaning against her Camaro was Julia Haddock/Haley Winters with a smirk on her lips. Her sunglasses were in place but I knew she was watching me fume. Everyone was cheering and chanting, "Win-ters! Win-ters!" They were trying to crowd around her but I made them part like the Red Sea until I was right in front of her. She was grinning like a fool.

“I guess I'm more capable than you thought.”
♠ ♠ ♠
That you so much to those of you that commented! It means a lot to me