Status: active af

Fallacies of Fidelity

Trouble Begins

Julia's POV

“Are you fucking kidding me?”

“Come back here asshole!”

“Shit, I'm never going to get this beauty fixed.”

Sometimes, racer's can be sore losers. “Hey, I'm talking to you bitch!” A deep voice now came from behind me, so very close. By the time I had tilted my head to see who it was, his hand was already reaching for my neck. If I had the time, I would have rolled my eyes. Dodging easily, I used the momentum of the hand, I whirled him around. One of my palms was gripping his wrist as I yanked it in a painful position behind his back. The other was pressed firmly against his back to I could push him against his baby blue Skyline. He cried out, begging me to stop. “Oh! Come on, lady! Please stop!” I couldn't help it. I giggled into his ear and he froze when I started whispering. “You're lucky we didn't race for pinks. I've been wanting to add a little splash of color to my collection.” I wish I could have tortured him further but now people were taking pictures. With a final press, I let him go. The other racers caught up just in time.

“What the hell, you didn't have to flip my car.” One of them scolded me. He got a little too close for comfort; I could smell his foul breath.

“You're the one with the Lan Evo, right?” I asked.

The hoard of racers stopped at the sound of me talking. I didn't like to use my voice that much at races, just in case someone was searching for it. When a race was just between two drivers, I spoke to the other racer to get a read on them. When it came to big races, I observed how racers interacted from afar. The guy looked at the other racers, as if to see if any of the rest of them had a Lancer Evolution. For such big talk, they sure knew how to back down easily. “Uh yeah.”

“Hmm, it's too bad. I liked the tenth generation the best. It's the Japanese model, yes?” I looked over his shoulder to the sad crumpled Mitsubishi. It was a pretty silver too.

“Yeah.”

“Well, after you get it fixed, race me again without trying to throw knifes at my tires, perhaps then you'll be able to concentrate on the road ahead of you.” I turned to walk away but stopped. “Or at least get a better aim to make things interesting.” Then, I started away. The racers were yelling at me again but were held back by Alec the bodyguard. I'd have to start paying him money with all the hard work he's put into protect me. I finally reached Rex with a very ecstatic Nick at his shoulder.

“Holy shit! That was incredible!” The kid was practically bouncing. “You're amazing, I've never been to one of these but damn, if this is what your nights are like, I'd love to tag along.” I opened my mouth to protest but he started up again. “And how is the hell did you get the upper hand on that guy just now? That was some Naruto shit right there!”

I sighed, “Look, you need to calm down. You're starting to draw attention.” Not that I wasn't already doing that. “As for that tool... well, you learn to defend yourself when people try to come after you.” I muttered.

“You have like this whole other life! It's crazy. How much of this does Mi--” I quickly flipped him around so his back was against my front and held my hand across his mouth. My other arm was across his throat. Then I whispered in his ear, “Mila doesn't know anything. If you'd like to keep your tongue, you'll be sure to keep it that way.” I let go of him. Jesus, I was really asserting my dominance to the crowd tonight.

“But why?”

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I shook my head. “She doesn't need to be involved. I didn't want you involved but your brother brought you anyways.” A couple weeks ago, Alec and I had spoke about our siblings. We agreed it would be unwise to get them caught up in this life. Obviously, something had changed. “Rex, I want to go. So if you don't mind...” I started to walk back to my Camaro but his hand landed on my shoulder. “Don't test me. I want to get out of here quick.”

“You're already too late. He's here and he was asking for you. If you want to keep your cover, stay and talk to him. If you leave, he'll just follow you and make more trouble than necessary.” Rex explained. My muscles were starting to ache with how rigid my body had become. I shrugged him off then nodded.

“Where's the little shit?” I asked.

“'Little?'” Nick asked.

Rex made a small gesture resembling a wave. Then Wally Gordon appeared. It was insane how young the kid was but then again, I was around the same age when I started racing. He was probably half my height and looked more ridiculous with a swagger in his step. His oversized Hawaiian button-up shirt almost doubled as a dress for how long it was. The brown board shorts he wore barely peeked out from the bottom hem of the shirt. He was even wearing flip flops. If he was any normal looking runt, he would be dead meat. But, Wally had a cut throat look in his face and it wasn't just the scar. It started from the corner of his mouth, ran dangerously close to his eye, making a pathway through the edge of his eyebrow, and landed at his hairline. Not that anyone would really know where it ended. Wally like to sweep his sun-kissed hair to cover as much as he could. His dark eyes was what made his look hard. They had knowledge injected in them.

“This is Wally Gordon?” Nick scoffed. Boy oh boy, do I wish I could strangle him right now.

Wally looked Nick up and down, assessing. “Who the fuck is this?”

“He shouldn't even show up as a blip on your radar.” I answered. My gaze fell on Rex. I nodded, he took my keys and Nick before stalking away. Wally now mirrored my crossed arm position.

“Looking more and more like your father everyday, Gordon, besides you know.” I caressed a finger across my face where his scar would be if it were on me.

He smirked, causing his scar to crinkle. “Do you really want to start with this?” Then he mouth the two words that almost knocked my on my ass. Julia Haddock. There was silence between us. The tension was palpable. How in the holy shit did Wally know who I was? I did a mental check. Hat. Check. Vest. Check. Hair. Tuck up in my hat, check. Sunglasses. Check. Everything was in place, so how did he know?

Cops! I got them on the scanner!” Someone yelled. Then there was chaos all around us but Wally and I remained still.

“If this were my race, the cops would have never had gotten close,” he said with his eyebrows scrunched. Wally pulled out a slip of paper and handed it to me. “Ten minutes. Be there, or I'll have to make a house call.” He gave me his back as he sauntered away.

If it weren't for Rex tugging on me to get in my car, I probably would have stayed standing there all night. He sat me into the passenger seat then got us out of there. Nick was going berserk in the back seat. “Were those cop lights? Oh man this is not happening, I have a scholarship to Brown!” Wordlessly, I passed the paper to Rex. We talked quietly over the sound of Nick's mental breakdown.

“Are you sure?” Rex asked.

“I have no choice.”

“There's always a choice.”

I shook my head. “Not this time.” I made eye contact with Nick through the rear view mirror, forcing him to calm down. “Nick can you drive?”

“Um, uh yeah I can.” he answered.

“Pull over, Rex.” I said.

“But--”

“I said pull over.” He did as he was told. I hopped out of the vehicle, dragged Nick from his seat, and took him to the car that had parked behind us.

“Wait wait, hold on. I thought you had said Wally was a child hood friend of 'Mad Dog' Williams? Unless time travel is possible, which I honestly think we won't achieve for another hundred years, this just isn't possible!” I yanked the car door open and pulled out the driver. After putting Nick in, I leaned toward him. “Drive to Rex's shop. Don't stop for anyone. And I didn't specify whose childhood they were friends during.” I winked before slamming the door. Then I was dragging the driver into the back seat.

“Really? You needed Alec?” Rex asked when he saw who I brought with me.

“Yes, I really did.” I answered.

“What's going on? I do not trust my brother driving my car.”

“What's going on is Wally wants to meet up with me and need back up. I didn't really think you'd want your brother tangled up in this. He already made a bad impression as it is.”

“Of course he did. Alright thanks.” He said. Rex pulled into the old parking garage, going up several flight before he pulled up in front of three sets of headlight. Dear God, I wish those three cars didn't have their headlights on. I would kill to see what Wally was driving. I got out first, so did Wally. The cool air hit my skin and sent a shiver through me. His two hulking buddies got out of their cars too, so I motioned for Alec and Rex.

“I don't really like extra company.” I said.

“I don't either.” He glared at the two men behind me. I figured we reached an impasse because I certainly wasn't going to send my men back to the car.

“How did...” I looked between his men and decided not to trust them. “How did you know?”

“You were friends with my dad, you remember?” He questioned.

“Of course I remember.” Wally's dad, Jason, was one of my closest friends. Before he was shot, that is. Jason was one hell of a racer and even better at racking up the money when it came to hosting his own races. He was legendary, everyone came to his races. It was family there. He had a special way of making Miami feel like home. Jason was probably Rex's age when he was shot in the hit and run. He'd sided with too many good guys for the bad guy's liking. Wally thought he could take on whoever killed his dad but... well, his scar spoke louder than words. “That doesn't tell me how you knew.”

“I remember you, you know.” He leaned back on his car, avoiding my response. “At the funeral.” I could feel eyes on my back. I had told myself over and over that I wouldn't go back to America but the funeral broke that promise to myself. “I was walking away from the service when I spotted you. I was never one to sit still, not even through my dad's funeral. There you were, though. You had pulled up in my dad's Nissan 300ZX. I had seen pictures of that car in his office but I never actually saw it until that day. I was so confused about why you had it. I mean, why would my old man give you his favorite car? You looked so sad that day.”

“Weren't we all?”

Wally grunted. “I guess so. But I'm just lucky you had enough pity to give me a present. I'm sure you thought I wouldn't recognize you. But, everything was confirmed when you dropped off my baby to me.” He patted the car beneath him.

“That's the Nissan?” I asked.

“Oh yeah. I love this girl.” He gave me a toothy grin that made him look younger. “It wasn't too hard after that. Dad had a few pictured of you as Winters, with the Nissan.” My eyes widened.

“You've known all this time? That funeral was four years ago!”

“The old man taught me loyalty. I could see you two were friends, so I spared you for him.” He shrugged. “But... I have loyalties elsewhere. Williams wants another race.”

“Excuse me?” Rex asked. I kept staring at Wally though. He was studying my reaction, but I wouldn't give him anything.

“Why? What could he possibly gain from losing to me?” I asked.

“Well, he's looking to retire. He wants to go out saying he defended his honor.”

“There's no honor to defend.”

Wally glared at me. “Three races to determine the winner.”

“Three? Why in the hell would I even agree?” I asked.

“You forget the information I hold.” Wally tapped his temple. I took a few steps to choke the shit out him but his two pals lifted their shirts so I could see their guns tucked in their pants. My hands lifted in surrender as I took my steps back. “Again, I'm loyal. Williams doesn't know anything about you. If you choose not to race, I will tell him.”

Apparently my silence was answer enough.

“First race is in two weeks. It takes place on my turf. The last two races will be fun.” Wally grinned at me, rubbing his hands together.

“How so?” I muttered, exhausted. I felt like I'd aged ten years in the five minutes we'd been talking.

“Japan.”

I flinched. No. Fuck no. There was too many memories in Japan. So many memories that I decided to never go back. “Why?”

“That's what I asked.” My plan was to keep a straight face and remain unaffected by our conversation. But that plan shattered when he spoke. “Williams told me, 'To end antics were they began.'”

“That fucker!” I screamed, actually screamed to the point where my throat felt like I had taken sandpaper to it. “You can tell him to go fuck himself. Tell him he can go fuck himself to hell!” I was seeing red, breathing hard. I wouldn't be surprised if I turned into the Hulk.

Wally and his men took a step back, clearly surprised at my outburst. “Aren't you forgetting that I--” Wally began.

“I didn't say I wouldn't do it. I will do it. But, you deliver that message to him.” I pointed at him then I turned to leave, reaching for my car door but he spoke again.

“There's one more thing.” He took a breath, “The last race will be on Happogahara.” My hands balled into fists. “It's touge.”

“Touge?” Alec spoke up for the first time.

“Drifting.” Wally answered. “You know, down a mountain.”

What?” Alec raised his voice.

“Shut up, Alec.” I didn't have time to worry if he was going to be ridiculously protective over me. I walked over to Wally, giving him my hand. “I'll see you in two weeks.” He took my hand. Wally's eyes became intense as if he were trying to tell me something. He shook my hand once and then I felt it. There was something in my palm he had given me.

“Two weeks.” He confirmed. Wally took his men and peeled out.

It was silent for maybe a solid three minutes before Alec spoke. “What the hell is happening?”

“Hush, get in the car.” I said as I got in the driver side. Then I began unfolding the piece of paper. If at all possible, I became more tense.

During the race, your friend's garage was wired. You might want to thoroughly check your car before you have any serious conversations. It wasn't me who is spying, though. Watch your back. P.S. You owe me one.

“Shit.” I let out. I didn't feel safe in my own car. Rex and Alec were staring at me, waiting, so I turned on the car, blasted the radio as high as it would go, then gave them the piece of paper.

This meant I was fucked. Not only did I now owe Wally, but someone could now hear everything we said in private. I quickly tried to remember if anything was discussed when we drove to the race but then I realized something. If someone had wired the garage during the race, then when could they have gotten to my Camaro? With a jolt, I came to the conclusion that they had to have gotten to it when I was talking to the other racers and then to Wally. Whoever it was, they were at the race tonight.

My elbow was nudged so I looked over at Rex in the passenger seat. He gave me back the piece of paper, nodding to it. I took it and realized Wally had written something on the back.

I don't think it was a coincidence the cops showed up tonight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wah wah I'm stoked to see how you guys will like the way this story goes