Status: active af

Fallacies of Fidelity

Matte It

Julia's POV
"This is not a date. This is not a date. Julia, for God's sake, this is not a date," I kept repeating to myself. Right? I mean we're just getting to know each other. The last real date I had was around 5 years ago and it didn't turn out all that well. The guy basically hated me so much he left Africa. I mean he also caught malaria, but that's besides the point. So I'm not the best at interacting with the male species, sue me. They start talking to me and my mind go blank until I'm suddenly rambling about my most embarrassing moments or about my previous dating experiences, which also never ended well. I knew I had to keep my cool tonight though cause I've acted like I didn't care when I talk to Alec. I can't stop now! I mean used to not care but the guys asked me out! Or no, he just asked us to go hang out. Not "asked out" like on a date. It's not a date. It's not a date. It's not a date.

"Are you going out?"

"Not on a date," I said as my mother stood in my doorway.

"Well if your not going on a date, then you're certainly wearing the perfect outfit."

"What do you mean?"

"Well that shirt isn't even close to matching the rest of your outfit and it looks like you got those shoes from a garage sale," she criticized, but not in the tone of voice she would use if my dad was here. I knew she was just joking with me but that doesn't mean I didn't start freaking out.

"What? I don't-- I mean--I just don't know what to-- this shirt totally matches these jeans!" I kept stuttering.

"Here, can I help?" she offered.

I bit my lip before giving in. She made me take off all the clothes before looking through my newly stocked closet. It was split in two sections: clothes normal people wear and idealistic billionaire's daughter clothes. My mom raked her eyes across my closet before pulling out dozens of jackets, shirts and dresses. Then she moved to my dresser where she grabbed six pairs of pants. "Okay, now stay still." I felt like a paper doll as she held up different outfits together on my body. The "no" pile fell on a heap on the floor and the "yes" pile was on my bed. I watched her as she put together the outfits and how her eyes shifted a little. It was like my mom was a completely different person away from my father. She held her guard around him but I think my mom's most beautiful when she throws away all her worries away.

I remember when I found a shoe box in her room when I was 13. It had small photos in it and little memorabilia's too. One particular picture was of her headbanging at a concert with dark makeup covering her face. I also found pieces of cloth and pages upon pages of clothing designs stacked up. What I specifically remember was finding an envelope with and acceptance letter to the fashion school of Parsons. My mom caught me and we had a long talk about how my mom had so many dreams but when she met my father she dropped them all to marry him. She said she gave up her acceptance because she realized she actually didn't like designing but I knew my father made her give everything up. He didn't want my mom to be interested in rock bands or fashion, he wanted her to be a sophisticated wife. She was in love with him though. She gave everything up to be with him but also let go of her dreams to please him.

My mom refused to let me look into the mirror until she had completed me. So, I sat in front of her as she did my makeup and picked out accessories for me. I sort of felt like Mila when I had dressed her a last week. I felt the bond underneath the tension but here with my mom I felt like she exerted love and happiness while I sat like a zombie in front of her. I couldn't get out of my mind how opposite she is with my dad. The cold, hard exterior always melted around me. I put on the earrings, necklaces, bracelets, and rings my mom gave me in a daze as she did my hair. I didn't even know she was done until she smacked a hat on my head which jolted me back into reality, "Alright, my dear, close your eyes!" I did as I was told as I stood up and she led me in front of my mirror, "Okay open!"

My eyes opened and I saw I was wearing a loose, casual beige high-low cotton dress with a pair of doc martens and a leather jacket. My makeup was perfect and the accessories matched everything. Finally, my hair fell in loose curls on my shoulders with a fedora on my head. Everything was perfect. I looked over my shoulder in the mirror and saw my mom's eyes sparkling as a bright smile covered her face. I turned and gave her a hug. It was the first real hug I'd given her since I left for Africa. She stroked my hair and patted my back. A single tear left my eye as I hugged her tighter. God in heaven, I forgot how much my mom really meant to me.

"I missed you so much, Julia." We pulled away and there were also tears tracing down her cheeks. She wiped away my tear and smiled again, "No crying, okay? I wouldn't want you to mess up your makeup," she sniffed. "So who is this boy your going out with?"

"His name is--" just then my phone dinged and I checked it, seeing it among the many text messages I never answered, that he had arrived, "Umm, he's here." I said.

"Can I walk you?" she asked.

"Of course," I grabbed the purse my mom picked out for me, linked my arm with her, and started walking.

"Where'd you meet him?" she asked. I looked away, "Julia I'm not going to let you go date a guy if you don't let me in the loop." I laughed.

"Okay, okay. His name in Alec and this isn't a date! We met at my welcoming home party and he just said we're going out to get to know each other."

"I thought that's what dating was," she bumped her hip with mine before we stared walking down the stairs.

"It's not a date, ma!"

"Alright, well can I meet him?"

"Mom, I highly doubt a guy I met only a week ago will want to meet my parents right now--" I stopped frozen at the bottom of the stairs when I saw Alec shaking hands with my father. He was wearing a light knit blazer and a plain white v neck underneath with some skinny jeans. I tried to tell myself that he didn't look that hot and that his hair didn't totally look gorgeous pushed back.

"Well, Alec you sure are quite the humorous guy to be dating Julia so quickly after she just got home," my father said.

"Well, it's not a date so you don't need to worry." I said.

"You must be the lovely Mrs. Haddock," Alec took my mom's hand and kissed the back of it.

"Just call me Ira, and you can just call Julia's father--"

"Mr. Haddock." he said coldly. Unnecessary tension flowed into our little group before my mom finally broke the silence

"And you are Alec..." my mom started.

"Barnett, Alec Barnett."

"Oh! Don's son, yes?" she asked.

"That's my father's name." I saw a twitch of something in his eyes as he mentioned his dad.

"I was so sorry to hear about Lisa, how's your family?" My mom showed true concern. What happened to Lisa? Who was Lisa?

"Yes how is your family?" my father added forcefully.

"We're all well, thank you," he said but I could see he was lying and not only that but I could see a fake persona now as his parents became the primary subject.

"Right, well Alec you take care of my daughter tonight." my father said, shaking his hand again, "Now remember what we talked about." Their hands shook too tight for my liking, so for Alec's sake I tugged his blazer and made them drop hands. "Julia, I want you home by 10."

"Um, it's 8 o'clock and I'm 23." I raised an eyebrow.

"Two hours is plenty then."

"I'll come home when I please, father. I may have came home from Africa on your accord but tonight will be on mine." I said forcefully. His eyes widened that I talked back but I didn't care. Before I shut the door, I winked at my mom and blew her a kiss. I turned and saw Alec standing there studying me, "Keep me out until midnight," I breathed.

"What?" he asked, shocked.

"Please, it's just my dad is going to be a complete control freak and I'd rather just stay out for as long as I can," I explained.

"So you want to defy your dad?"

"Father," I corrected, closing my eyes tight. "He's not my dad."

"No, I get it," he nodded, "You call him father and not dad because he doesn't act like a dad... he acts like a father."

"How'd you--" I started.

"Been there," he looked down.

"Sorry," I said.

"No big, it's not your fault anyways."

There was a long awkward before I finally snapped out of it, "Alright, well let's go then! Where's your... please tell me that's not your car."

"What?" he asked, defensively.

"That is not a 2001 Pontiac Aztek."

"How did you know?" he asked, with his eyebrows scrunched together but a smile smile on his face.

"Because I know everything about cars including the fact that the Pontiac Aztek is literally the worst car ever put in the market."

"You don't know that, besides you've never driven one so how would you--"

"It was the first car I ever drove. Even then, when I illegally drove it, I knew it was a shitty car."

"How rude!" He stroked the thing, "She didn't mean it, Dana."

"Dana? You named your car? It's not even worthy of a name!"

"Don't judge me! She was the first car I bought."

"No way in hell am I getting in that ugly car."

"But Jules--"

"Julia."

"Let's just go," he begged.

"No, either we take one of my cars, or I'm going back inside."

"No."

"Alright, adios!" I turned around.

"Wait, Julia! Okay okay okay fine I'll drive one of yours!"

"Correction, I'll be driving one of my cars. Now park your car around the corner where my dad can't see it otherwise he'll never let me go out with you again."

"So there will be a next time," Alec leaned against his ugly ass car. I just glared until he raised his hands in surrender before going to park it elsewhere. I skipped to the garage and had fun picking out the specific car I wanted for this date. I mean... hang out time with a guy.

My eyes landed on the exact car I was thinking of so I ran up to it, started it, and pulled it out in front of Alec. The headlights were on him so I could see his reaction. His eyes widened before the broke out into a wide grin that showed all his teeth. It was pretty fucking cute. He sat in the passenger seat and looked over at me, "Wow, I've only ever seen this car in pictures before. Tell me about me all about it."

"But I --" I started.

"I want you to tell me," he looked over at me with big puppy dog eyes until I gave in. Alec leaned into his seat and listened to me as I talked and cruised down the streets taking random turns.

"Um well it's a Matte Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano Hamann. It has a front longitudinal engine installation and a compression ratio of 11:2:1. Not to mention that it has a 4 per cylinder valve gear and 612 horsepower and a torque of 5600 rpm and it... Alec?" I glance over and saw he had closed his eyes, "Oh God, I put you to sleep. This is why I don't talk cars to boys." I muttered.

"I'm awake Julia," he laughed, "go on."

I pursed my lips, "Well in 2006 it won Car of the Year by Evo magazine and Supercar of the Year in Top Gear Magazine. It's red line is at 8400 rpm and it has a V12 engine which produces at max, around 620 PS, which made it one of the most powerful series production Ferrari road car of all time. This altogether makes the car, 100 times better that the Pontiac Aztek." I joked.

"Hey, you leave Dana out of this," he sat up, laughing.

"I just can't believe I'm going out with a guy who drives literally the worst car of all time." I shook my head.

"I picked it out when I was 16," he pouted. "Can I drive?"

"Uh no."

"But you don't even know where we're going."

"Then tell me."

"Jules, it's a surprise," he called me that nickname again but I decided to let it slide. I stopped the car at the red light before sighing.

"Chinese fire drill, let's go." We got out of the car and ran around until we had switch seats just in time for the green light. Alec sighed into the leather seating before speeding down the empty road.
♠ ♠ ♠
WOW it's been so long since I updated but I figured I shouldn't keep you guys hanging. I decided to split this chapter in two so the next part of the date will come out shortly. I already have it written but if it was with this chapter, you would be reading for another hour. Please tell me if there are any mistakes or if there was something you didn't understand cause I can gladly clarify or rewrite or whatever.

Thank you for reading, my lovelies.