Status: active.

Finding Passion

The School

The light above her door began flashing and Emily was just dropping her final curl from her iron. She quickly pressed the button to flash the light outside the door, allowing her brother the permission to enter. The makeup she had been working on before she started her hair wasn't quite finished and she was about to make the finishing touches.

We have to go, he brother signed. She could see him from the mirror as he stood behind her. You look beautiful as always. He told her that everyday. Not because he felt sorry for her because she was deaf, but because he truly thought she was beautiful and he knew she never believed him.

Quickly she brushed on a second coat of mascara and stood from her vanity. Behind her, the blue bag she had got as a "Sorry, we couldn't make it (again)" present from her parents sat on the edge of her bed. Grabbing that and her cellphone, she brushed past her brother.

At school, it was the same routine. Get out of the car, be surrounded by fangirls and friends of her brother's, and then break away from the crowd. The only difference was that instead of looking for her friends, she went looking for Roam. She had seen her yesterday, but classes were different today and she needed to make sure that Roam knew where she was supposed to go.

When she spotted her, she was hunched over a book; brown curls fell lazily around her. She noticed that she was listening to music and for a moment, she stood a few feet away, separated from the older girl by the thickening crowd and jealousy encased her. Emily took a breath to clear her thoughts. She reminded herself that Roam lost more than just her voice.

Roam must not have been paying much attention because she practically jumped out of her skin when Emily set a gentle hand on her shoulder. Shakily, she ran a hand through her hair and then marked her page, setting the book beside her. When she looked at Emily, the younger girl noticed the awful blue bags under her eyes and the painful looking bruise lurking just beneath her cover-up.

Acting quickly, Emily pulled Roam into the bathroom and checked under the stalls. Empty. Grateful, she locked the door by jamming a pen into the space between the jam and the door. Emily turned back toward the other girl and in that moment she felt all her envy leave her.

What happened to you? she asked. The moment she finished, she threw her bag onto the counter by the sink and dug through it. In the mirror, she watched Roam waiting patiently for a response. Her fingers grasped her concealer and matching foundation.

Nothing. Accompanying the lie, Roam gave a small shake of her head.

Emily was too busy applying concealer and thanking god that they had the same skin tone to respond immediately. When she was finished, she admired her handy work. Putting her things away, she leaned against the door. I don't care if we are late for class, and I know you don't know me but right now, you look like you could use a friend. Was it someone that goes here?

She was so sincere and honest that it only took one look for Roam to break. Tears began falling down her cheeks and she wiped at them furiously. No. But thank you. She stopped for a moment as the bell rang throughout the school. That was the bell. We really should get going.

Come over to my place tonight? It's Friday and we should get to know each other since we're buddies. I won't make you tell the story if you don't want to.

She hesitated. I can't.

Emily didn't press it any farther.