Sequel: Secrets

We Are Young

Jayden

“Ok, today I’m assigning your term project…it’s a partner project” Miss Martin started.

“YEAH!” everyone exclaimed. Amongst themselves they were finding their partners.

“I already picked your partners”

“Aww”

“So, it’s Kaitlyn and Robert. Travis and Frank. Jayden and Brandon” Jayden sighed.

“So…” Brandon started from behind her. “I guess we’re partners”

“Just let me do the project, I’ll get you full credit”

“No, I won’t let you do that” the bell rung. “Wanna start brainstorming after school…at the library at 4?”

“Fine” Jayden spat. She walked out of the class room.



After school Jayden waited inside for what felt like whatever. She didn’t want to have to deal with him. He wasn’t annoying, he was just…she didn’t even know. There was something about him that just made Jayden crazy.

Brandon showed up about 20 minutes late. That already pissed Jayden off. He wasn’t looking to be annoying, not yet anyways.

“Hey” he started. “So we have an english project…what are we going to focus on?”

“Lewis Caroll…that’s what I was thinking…any other suggestions?”

“You’re the straight A student, I’ll do whatever you say” he smiled. Jayden rolled her eyes.

“I have the boy…Go Ask Alice”

“Basically it’s Alice in wonderland”

“Yeah, I was thinking, we have a month to do the project, why not read the book and analyze it”

“Whatever you want”

“You have no ideas? Or criticism?” she asked.

“Nope, sounds like a good idea…why?”

“I’m not used to getting my way” that seemed a little sketchy to Brandon. Wasn’t being a teenager all about being invincible and getting whatever you can? At least in Brandon’s world it was like that.

“Have you always gotten straight A’s?”

“Always” Jayden said. Brandon looked at her body.

“Have you always been that skinny?”

“Where are you going with this?” Jayden asked. “I’m not in the mood to be profiled with a pot head”

“What do you like to do for fun? Outside of school?” Jayden thought about it. She wanted to answer, no one really get’s to know her anymore.

“Why do you care?”

“Hey, we’re going to be partners on a lame English project for the next month, you need to get to love me” Jayden smirked a bit.

“I’m in the Jazz band” she said. “and marching band”

“Jazz” Brandon repeated. “Good, I have a name for you”

“What?”

“I can never remember your name…probably because you have a boy’s name…so since you like jazz music, you’re now Jazz Hyland…for a while I was calling you the hot girl that sits in front of me in English” Jayden blushed.

“What do you like to do?” Jayden asked.

“Smoke weed and fuck bitches” he said. he shrugged. “It’s as simple as that”

“Nice life you’re living”



Jayden and Brandon hung out for at least two hours before Jayden had to go home. Instead of making Brandon walk home, Jayden volunteered to drive him home.

Jay pulled in front of an old white house, barely standing. “This is it” Brandon said. “Thanks for the ride” Jay saw the broken window.

“Your window’s broken” she said.

“Awkward…didn’t see that”

Jayden didn’t have the heart to make him stay inside that gross house. She wouldn’t want to, no matter how accustomed she could be to it. “Do you wanna hang out a little longer…and come over to my place?” she asked. Brandon was thinking sex but he was wrong. “We can talk more about the project…I can start reading it to you…it’s actually a very lovely story”

“Isn’t it Alice in Wonderland?” he asked. He closed the door. Jayden started to drive toward her part of time.

“Basically, but I always prefer actual words over film”

“Why aren’t you like most girls?” Brandon asked. “Why don’t you like the color pink, boy bands, wearing short skirts and shopping?” he asked. “You like, like music and reading”

“I believe that even before we are born we already have a personality set in place. One sperm could be a doctor, another could be the future president of the united states. Then there was me, an intelligent music freak” she turned to him and smiled. “Then there’s you, the lazy pot head” he smiled back.



Brandon and Jayden meet on Saturday to work on the project. A week has passed and they spent most of their after school library sessions talking about music or movies instead of the actual project. Jayden set aside Saturday afternoon to read and work on it.

Jayden’s parents weren’t home, so it made the evening even better.

Jayden couldn’t help but like him. He was annoying, but he was quite funny and he was actually really smart, in like the pop culture sort of stuff. He talked about music with her and actually knew what he was talking about. He understood Jazz music.

Jayden set out a little bowl of M&M’s and other candies to snack on. She turned her iPod on for some soft background music.

Brandon showed up around 5 like promised. He was completely trashed. It was winter so it was pretty much pitch black at that point.

Jayden was so excited, then seeing him completely shit faced made her depressed.

“’I’m here!” Brandon exclaimed. “So what do we need to do?” he stumbled his way inside.

“Go home, Brandon” Jayden said.

“What’s wrong, Jazz?”

“You’re drunk as fuck” Jayden said. “We can’t work if your drunk”

“I’m fine” Brandon threw himself on the sofa. “Dude these lights are seriously bright”

“The lights aren’t even on” Jayden told him.

“I just need to relax, I’m freaking out over nothing—oh god, I’m going to puke” Jayden handed him the trash can and he puked. She sighed.

“Come on” she took Brandon upstairs and put him on her bed to sleep it off.



Brandon woke up an hour later. “Wow, I feel a lot better” he said. Jayden was across the room reading the book they had picked for their English project.

“Oh fuck” Brandon said. “I’m so sorry” he sat up. “I promise I’ll make it up to you”

“It’s ok”

“I know you don’t like presenting projects…so I’ll do all the presenting…I promise”

“How do you know I hate presenting?”

“It’s obvious you don’t like being the center of attention. It shows.” Brandon came closer to her. “It’s pretty obvious you hate yourself” he left her house after that. Jayden sighed.



In school the next day, Brandon was waiting for Jayden, sitting on her desk.

“I don’t want to hate myself” Jayden said. “It’s not like I don’t try to be happy, it’s just impossible”

“after school…you and me…no project…just this” Brandon pulled out a little baggy of green grass.

“What is that?”

“A mind numbing pharmaceutical I call weed”