Sequel: Secrets

We Are Young

Christian

Christian woke up Saturday morning, the first day of February break, with brutal knocks on his front door.

He ran downstairs to answer it. It was Brandon and Zack, standing their, looking sad and depressed.

“Killer party last night at Liv’s” Christian said. He let the boys in. “I kept looking for Kaci but I couldn’t find her…I wanted to tell her the truth. I’m going to call her up together” he said. He went into the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water.

“Christian” Brandon started slowly. “We have a problem”

“What? Did you get your weed confiscated?” he asked.

“No…something worst…it’s about Kaci” Christian didn’t say anything and waited for Brandon to say something. “She died last night in a car accident” he said softly. Christian dropped his water bottle, it exploded on impact and spilled everywhere.

“No”



Christian lied in bed for most of the way. He kept asking himt eh basic questions. He was almost done with the 7 stages of grief, he had accepted it and everything, he just wanted to know why it happened to her.

He kept playing the accident in his head, trying to figure out if she talked about him, or if the driver was wasted. He just wanted to know.

“Do you want some cocaine?” Brandon asked, ruining Christian’s somewhat tranquil thoughts.

“No” Christian replied sadly. “I don’t want to get fucked up today”

“Ok” Brandon put the cocaine away. Zack sighed.

“Dakota was driving” Zack said. “He was a little drunk when I saw him before he left” he started. “Lindsey wanted to get Kaci out of there because she was piss drunk”

“Losing winter carnival, then losing the girl I love” Christian sat up on his bed. “This is exactly why I didn’t want to be in a relationship…the heart break…the heart ache, it hurts so much” he wanted to cry, but he held it in to save his friends the torture.

“I know, I know” Brandon rubbed his back. “It’s hard” he said. “I can’t imagine what’s going on with you…just stay strong. Her parents need all the support they can get”

“Your right…her parents are probably more devastated”

“She’s super religious, too, so when they figure out she’s not a virgin they’re going to flip!” Zack exclaimed. They laughed.

“That’ll be funny” Christian said. “God, she was beautiful”

“She was” Brandon said. “It’s tragic how some people have to die so young…while the driver of the car barely got out with any injuries”

Christian sighed. “But sometimes it take’s someone’s life to teach everyone a life lesson” Brandon muttered.

“No more drinking or smoking or anything” Christian said.

“Whoa, I was going to say no drinking and driving, you don’t have to cut out weed, too”

“No…I want to”



Kaci’s death brought the 9 of them together in some odd way. They were all kind of friends but they never hung out together. So when Kaci died, for the first time all ten of them hung out to talk about special memories about her and how come they had never had these meetings before.

“I fucked her” Brandon said. she closed Jayden’s ears. “She was a good fuck” everyone laughed.

“She was a slut, but she was nice and smart” Kaya said. “But I guess we can all learn from it right?”

“No drinking and driving!” Zack exclaimed.

“Well I was thinking no drinking in general” Liv said. Taylor put his arm around her.

“No way” Steve said. “I still wanna have fun. Just because she died doesn’t men the fucking world ends” he explained. “We just need to know we’re not invincible”

“No one is” Jill said. “We all have weaknesses, teenagers more than others”

“I just wish I had a chance to tell her I love her” Christian said.

“She would have loved to hear that” Jayden said. “Something gives me a hunch that she was crazy about you”

“I was crazy about her” Christian wanted to tear up.



A few weeks passed for all of them. And things didn’t get much better for Christian. He couldn’t go to the funeral, her parents didn’t know about him. He couldn’t go to her grave, she was buried at least an hour away where she was born in some jewish cemetery. She was no virgin or saint, so burying her in a religious cemetery just seemed wrong. Christian knew more about Kaci then her parents would ever know.

And it killed him.

His grades dropped significantly. He went to school one to two days out of the week. He did absolutely no work, and when he tried to put effort into it, he felt to restless and annoyed.

There were five grades you could get in school. A, B, C, D and F. Well in Christian’s case they needed another letter. E would be failure then F would be super failure. He was approaching super failure.