Sequel: Secrets

We Are Young

Steve

Steve grabbed his things from his mom’s car. “Have fun” his mom told him. Steve smiled.

“I’ll try” he closed the door and walked into the school. The feeling of reality washed over him. So many things had happened in such a short amount of time, he didn’t know how to deal.

First, he got entangled in some stupid bet with Dylan, and now he had to ask Kaya out. Dylan told him he had until the seniors graduated in another two months. Then Kaci died, and that was devastating. Even though Steve didn’t know Kaci that well, he still cared. Christian was a good friend of his, and he hated seeing Christian so down. Dylan and Steve had invented the super F in terms of Christian’s grades.

He walked through the gym into the boys locker room, in his way in he saw this weird school activity. There were flags, and rifles and swords, and a bunch of girls like tossing them.

What was this magic?

He saw Kaya immediately doing turns on the balls of her feet. She looked so graceful and at peace in the world. The way her hair spun with her on her shoulders was just magnificent, it was pure perfection.

Steve almost walked into the wall. He got himself back on track and headed to the locker room to get ready for his first baseball game.



After the game, Steve was silently hoping Kaya was still at the school, and he was right, she was. Kaya was tossing a rifle now. Whenever she got it she would wince and shake her hands in pain. Steve chuckled.

Jayden watched Steve stare at Kaya. What was his problem? Jayden asked herself. Liv told her about some bet Dylan made with Steve, was this it?

Jayden and Steve’s eyes met for a split second. Jayden was literally staring into his soul, and Steve knew exactly why.



On Monday Steve waited outside his first period math class for Kaya. He didn’t want to ask her out in the class so he waited for her for about twenty minutes.

She finally came. Steve gently pulled her good hand back. “Hey” Steve started.

“Hey” she muttered, he almost didn’t catch it.

“I was wondering…you’re pretty cool…do you wanna hang out sometime?” he asked with a smile.

Kaya wanted to explode and jump around with excitement but she held back every once of nerd in her, which was hard, to reply simply. “Sure”

“Well” Steve acknowledged to Kaya’s, The Hunger Games book. “Do you wanna see the movie? It comes out next week, right?” Kaya nodded. “Wanna see that?”

“That sounds great”

“Awesome”

“Awesome” Steve walked inside the class room. Kaya could even handle her body weight when she took her first step towards the class room. She just wanted to melt.

Right now, Steve was asking her out, because he truly cared about her, and thought that magic she was doing in the gym a few days back was awesome.

But no one knew that