Status: Short contest entry

I Tripped and Fell in Love

Chapter 5

Three months later

I was finally back in Pittsburgh, a place I have missed over the summer. I may be a Canadian boy, but Pittsburgh was home to me and I never felt complete until I was back in the Steel City. As I reached the city limits, I sent a text message to the guys on the team seeing if any of them were back in town yet and if they wanted to come over for dinner. That was something I did every season after returning from home. Have everyone over to talk about our summers and the upcoming season. The one person I didn't text though was Carmen and it broke my heart since she was the first I would call when I got home. She only called me twice the entire time I was in Canada and one of those calls was to tell me that she was engaged to Justin. That night I had gotten the drunkest I have ever been in my life. I also cried like a little girl that night too.

After a stop at the grocery store for some much needed food, I made my way to the apartment. When I stepped inside I didn't know what to expect. I didn't know if Carmen was still living here or what. I noticed though that the place was cleaner than it was when I left and that the curtains were open and blowing in the breeze caused by the open windows. Carmen was here. I didn't know how I felt about that. I had been trying not to think about her all summer.

With a huff, I placed the groceries on the island and began putting them away. As I did so, I noticed that there were a few things in the fridge and they looked fresh. Tears burned my eyes as I finished the chore. She cared enough to stop by and stock the fridge and open the windows, but not care enough to call me more than two times all summer. I slammed my fist down on the counter and that's when I noticed the note. Slowly I picked it up and stared at her quirky handwriting.

Sid,


Welcome home. I opened the windows, stocked the fridge, changed the sheets on all the beds for you, and washed the old ones (you're going to have to take them out of the dryer). I hope you had a great summer and I hope you can forgive me. I'm sorry that I just ran that day so long ago. I was scared and confused. I didn't expect to stay away for so long, but then I ran into Justin one day and the feelings we had for each other rekindled. I never wanted to hurt you Sidney, you were are one of my best friends and I hope we can keep that relationship. I'm sorry I kissed you that night and it went further than we expected. I didn't want to ruin our friendship. By the way, it was everything I dreamed it would be. Sidney I love you and I will always love you, but I'm with Justin now. I left you an invitation and I hope to see you at the wedding. Again, I am so sorry Sidney.

Love always,
Carmen

P.S I put my key in the draw next to the door where we you keep the take out menus.


By the time I reached the end of the note, I couldn't see anymore. My vision was clouded by tears and anger. She had loved me. I crumbled the note in my hand and tossed in the direction of the trashcan. I wasn't mad at her, there was no reason to be mad at her. I was mad at myself. I should have made a move sooner and not worried about what would happen. That could have been our wedding invitation sitting there staring me in the face. Not hers to another man. I allowed myself time to grieve, but then I had to move on. I needed to forget the feelings I had for Carmen and I needed to just be her friend.

Once I removed the sheets from the dryer and showered. I rummaged through my junk drawer and pulled out a piece of paper with the title 911. I dialed the one number I swore I was never going to use.

"Hello, operator?" I said licking my lips…

I need a cure, a love eraser
♠ ♠ ♠
The End!

Again For this contest.

I hope you all enjoyed it.