A Final Song, A Last Request

The One In Which Kiara is Buried in Roses

Kiara’s funeral was the worst. Jason had remembered the things she had told him, made a list for him to keep, even, saying she knew that he would outlast her. He read over the list sitting in his lap, noting her words written in their usual messy, yet girlie, fashion; the bright blue writing made his head spin.

Song: Rue’s Lullaby, some sad Avenged Sevenfold song
Flowers: rainbow roses ♥
Size: small (close friends, family, the band)
Grave marking: Name, date of birth/date of death. See list and pick out other thing.

Jason glanced at said list and went through the options.

A Place of Hope and No Pain.
Born with Nothing, Died with Everything.
They say all beauty must die, I say it just moves on.
Perfectly imperfect.
Too weird to live and much too rare to die.

He glanced back at the other list to finish reading it.

Bury me with meaningful things (drum sticks, picks, other things I may have gotten over the years, my baby blanket, Johnny.)
Bury me in the dress I met you in.

Jason stared at the stuffed teddy bear, Johnny, which sat on their bed. It was a black bear with bright red stitches and red buttons for eyes. A red heart was sewn sloppily onto its chest. Jason also stared at the one that Kiara had made for him. It looked exactly the same, except for the fact that the colors were switched. He also looked at Kiara’s baby blanket, which was a deep purple.

Jason did everything exactly as Kiara had wanted it. Only close friends, the band, and family were there. She was buried in the light blue dress she had met him in, her feet bare, the same as when he had met her. She was wrapped in her baby blanket, Johnny tucked by her side. Her left arm was sticking out of the blanket, resting on her stomach.

Friends and family stood at the podium to the right of Kiara’s casket, telling stories of their fallen drummer. “This one time, Kiara and I-” was usually how the stories started, and they either ended in tears or laughter. Sometimes even both.

Jason was the last to view her casket after the eulogies. He had been asked to write one, but he couldn’t bring himself to do it. He pulled a small bag out of his suit pocket and his eyes filled with tears. In the bag were Kiara’s drumsticks, some guitar picks she had used, and a picture of the band. Kiara was lying across their laps, her head in Jason’s lap as he played with her hair
.
Jason placed all of the things next to her after he had taken them from the bag and pulled a small velvet box from his pocket. A sob finally bubbled out of his throat as he took the small ring from the confines of the box and slipped it onto her slender ring finger. He stared down at the woman, only 21, but still having full sleeve tattoos, which now seemed even more colorful against her paper-white skin.

“I love you,” he muttered as he kissed her lips softly. He felt a tug on his pants and turned. A small girl, Kiara’s niece, was staring up at him. She held out her hand, which clutched a rainbow rose.

“Will you put this in Auntie Kiara’s bed?” she asked innocently. Jason sobbed and picked the girl up, setting her on his hip.

“You can do it yourself,” he said and leaned forward.

“Sleep well, Auntie Kiara,” the girl said and placed the rose next to her. She climbed down from Jason’s hip and ran back to her mother, who had tears running down her face.

Derek, their guitarist, placed a hand on his shoulder, giving it a light squeeze. His eyes were rimmed in red, as was their bassist’s, Sam, who also placed his hand on Jason’s shoulder. The pair led Jason away from his would-have-been-fiance’s casket and into their car to be brought to the cemetery. They were right behind Kiara’s family’s cars.

Jason was also the last one at her grave. “Rue’s Lullaby,” “Fiction,” “Save Me,” and “So Far Away” played as she was lowered into the ground. Everyone tossed in a rose before the dirt was filled in. It was a beautiful sight— red and white roses filled the earth; a single rainbow rose rested on the top like a beacon of hope.

Once the roses could no longer be seen, everyone started to trickle away. Jason stood over the fresh grave, his hands shoved into his pockets.

Kiara Faith Henly
A wonderful sister, daughter, and girlfriend
July 18, 1991- March 26, 2012
Born with Nothing, Died with Everything
Rock in Peace
♠ ♠ ♠
Last chapter! Sadness and depression!