Status: In progress. :D

In Your Eyes

01.

The large, forest green, leafy bundles that hung limply off the tree branches filtered the light in the woods. The wind rustled the leaves, whistling a harmonious tune of serenity. Mockingbirds perched at the tippy tops of the trees sang their melodious songs to the enormous trees that sprouted from the ground and towered over the rest of the earth, held down only by a mass of giant roots with a stronghold to end all strongholds. The chilled air cast a cool aura around the atmosphere of the woods; a quiet, nearly abandoned place accompanied only by the occasional flood of footsteps that sounded like thunder against the crackling of the dead, warm-colored leaves which were scattered over a sea of dark green blades of grass.

Willa Inker breathed a familiar sigh of relief as she plopped onto a flat boulder she had become all-too acquainted with. Sneaking out of the house and creeping back in just in time to beat her parents back home became a routine that she was incredibly accustomed to. It was practically an art that she had effortlessly perfected over time. It was that time of day where she could embrace nature and breathe easy, without any cares in the world. It was a place of solace, and a place she shared with no one. It was a place that the fifteen year old petite blonde had all to herself, and herself alone.

As bizarre as it might’ve sounded, Willa was never a huge fan of the outdoors. There was something about the woods that she found positively alluring. It might’ve been cheesy, but something about the secluded vibe and the idea of being hidden from the world she desperately wanted to escape hit very close to home for her. The woods offered her an opportunity she had never been granted the option of having, and it was the chance to collect her composition and proceed to live her life with little complications. It was a place that meant the world and beyond to her. She wouldn’t trade it for anything else in the world, but in a heartbeat, she would gladly give up the rest of the earth for the woods.

Her aquamarine eyes, like two glassy crystals, captured the sight of moist moss crawling up the rough bark, whose serrated and discolored edges were no match for the unsightly clumps of the plant, whose shade exactly resembled dark spinach. Reaching out, Willa allowed her fingers to brush against the soft, soggy surface of the moss. It was unpleasant, but she had long since grown used to it and even cherished it during moments similar to the one she was in the midst of experiencing. Snatching her hand away, her neck craned upwards as she witnessed the wispy white clouds stretch across the sky, which was a medley of dusty and opaque hues of celeste.

Exhaling deeply, Willa watched with mild interest as a puffy cloud of air slid from her lips. She’d been taking her sweet time returning to her sanctuary for another day, as if she were embarking on a leisurely stroll. She knew that part of the woods like the very palm of her hands, from each crevice between the trees to the areas where the light filtered less and shone more. Part of the enjoyment came from passing all of “landmarks” that had become recognizable to the point of being able to point them out in her sleep and create a map of her side of the woods with her eyes shut.

Willa soon realized that she had taken much longer to reach her destination than normal, and also realized that her time was incredibly short on regular days as it was. Even though it was a cool and crisp Friday night, her mother would be home soon, and her father would follow a few hours later. Raising her slim, bony-like wrist, her light sea-colored eyes met the face of her watch, which unmistakably read 4:37.

Rising to her small feet much too quickly, she stumbled over them as she scrambled out of the woods. She needed to be home by five o’clock at the very latest, or she would face dire consequences for being out without her parents’ permission. Not only did they have a rule in place that stated she couldn’t leave the house without notifying them first (and they had to be at home; very rarely could she leave while they weren’t at the house), but the woods were undeniably off limits.

Hastily clambering away from her self-proclaimed territory, she hurriedly sprinted as far from the woods as quickly as she could, paying no mind to the outside world. She needed to get from the woods to her house, and fast, otherwise Willa faced a secret punishment that she’d never been given. Quite frankly, she wasn’t looking to find out of its contents, either. Little did she know that she had caught the slate blue eyes of a boy, one who wasn’t looking to forget about what he saw.

There was something intriguing about the woods, but for him, it had less to do with the scenery and more to do with the frazzled girl he’d witnessed from a distance.
♠ ♠ ♠
Howdy, dear readers!
This is only setting up the plot for the rest of the story. I hope you guys enjoy it, and don’t be shy! I originally didn’t have a clue as to where this was going, and I still don’t, but I’ve got a few good ideas. I’m continuing my effort on working out the kinks and the complications in this story, but I thoroughly hope you enjoy it. I’m sorry it was so rushed, I’m being forced off the computer right now.
Enjoy, my little ducklings! <3