Status: In Progress

Inzanity

Chapter 1 - Awakening

'Argh, why?' I mumbled as Beki shot the curtains open allowing the early morning's sunlight in.
'We need to get up and get going Nathan, we have college today and Grant will kill us if we're late again!' Beki fired back, very edgily I noticed, evidently she wanted to be up as much as I did.
'Fine' was all I said as I dragged myself out of the bed before glimpsing at the bedside clock
'6:30.... really? We don't need to leave for a hour and a half!' I called through to the bathroom where Beth was stood in the mirror doing her make-up.
'I'm not driving today, we don't have enough petrol or the money to get some, so we need to get to Looe for 7:30' she called back whilst applying her eyeliner, a thin trail of black around her bright blue eyes.
'Fine' I answered again. I then crawled out of bed and began digging through the wardrobe until I found my skinny jeans and my favorite top. 25 minutes later we were leaving our small 2 bedroom villa and started our walk along the scenic coast path to the fishing town of Looe.

We quickly settled into our normal walking routine with me carrying my bag, filled with my chef whites and my pool cue whilst she just carried her own bag with her own whites. Whilst we walked we quickly broached our most common subject... our ZAP or Zombie Apocalypse Plan.
'Ok heres one, say we're in the middle of Looe and we get attacked by zombies, what would you do?' I asked, Beki looked at me then replied
'I would cry' She said jokingly then more seriously
'Well I reckon we'd go up to your mum's, after looting Co-op for canned foods, and Boots for medicines, then block up the downstairs door and the outer stairs going to the kitchen then ring around and find out which of our friends and family still lived and figure out how to get them'
I thought for a second ' I guess you, being you, would steal some sort of big vehicle, like a SUV or something?' She laughed, a delightful noise amongst the quietness of the walk 'Of course!'

As we approached Looe I finally finished waking up and looked around at the old town, with its small holiday house's and fishing market still silent and only fellow college students around, it was almost serene, except for the normal stench of fish which hovered constantly over the town due to the fish market.
Despite waking up so early and leaving the house we only just made it in time for the coach to college. Us and 15 other students crammed onto the coach and jostled into seats, Beki then snuggled up to me and fell asleep again.

Since the coach ride was a good 45 minutes up to an hour depending on the traffic I started chatting to the people sat around me and quickly noticed that over half of them were looking very pale and sickly, when I asked them how they were they simply said 'just a stomach bug' or 'ya know, one of those damn 24 hours bugs.' Which lead to me teasing them about having a weak immune system compared to mine. The trip passed quickly and before I knew it the coach was crawling up the colleges hill, so I gently woke Beki up and gathered our stuff.

We all filtered off the coach some going to have a fag before lessons and some, like us, heading straight into the building.
'We have practical now, right?' I asked Beki as we wandered past the student restaurant, Cloisters, up to the changing rooms.
'After 3 years of college I would have thought you'd learnt to remember your timetable, yes we have practical, and then just in case you've forgotten we have the afternoon off and it's free pool in the games room' Beth replied with a teasing hint to her voice
'Who needs to remember their timetable when they have a fantastic girlfriend like you to remember it for them' I quickly replied with a cheeky grin before stepping aside to let some people past. We then kissed before parting to go into the changing rooms, to get changed into our Chef uniforms, White double-breasted jackets with checkered trousers, a blue apron and a hat.

By now it was 8:55 so instead of completely changing I threw my whites on over my normal clothes, took out my snakebites and headed into the kitchen. Once I was in I put all my stuff in a locker and went into the storeroom to get my knife box and being such a nice person Beki's as well. However as I approached the front of the class someone I didn't recognize was in Grant's, our tutor, space.

'Hello, come on, come on quit dawdling and get up here, is there anyone else in the changing rooms?' The stranger said in a fast accented voice.
'Yes Beki is still in there, wheres Grant?' I cautiously replied before saying quick 'Hello' to everyone else.
'Your tutor has been taken ill by a stomach bug, as have many of the other teachers, so I'm replacing him for now, my name is David Hasmin I'm from Cambourne College' he quickly replied, hardly stopping to breathe. Thankfully Beki came in then and his attention was diverted from me to her 'What took you so long! Don't you know lesson starts at 9? It's 9:01 now!' David shouted.
'Sorry Chef, won't happen again Chef' Beki meekly responded before taking her place at the bench next to me 'Who's the lunatic?' she asked under her breath
'Some guy from Cambourne... home of incest, David I think he said, reckon he's got 11 toes?' I whispered back making her giggle quietly.

'Now that all of you are here lets get started! You've made your sugar sculpture pieces so today you're putting them together, I'll need a lighter and Grants pieces to demonstrate! So go and get your pieces and the lighters for the hobs!' David said to the class 'Yes Chef' we all responded not wanting to be singled out. We scattered quickly half of us lighting the hobs and the other half fetching the trolleys on which the sugar was being kept. When we came back David had disappeared, however after seeing how easily he seemed to get angry we decided to start on putting our sugar together for when he returned. For the next hour and a half we melted the very edges of the sugar pieces and used the molten edge to 'glue' them to other pieces. When we were done we all stood around chatting, David having slipped our minds,
'Well I'm going home now, I've done my sugar and have nothing else to do so I'll see you all on Monday' Chris said as he put his knife kit away 'See ya!' I called after him before turning to Beki and asking 'Well then what are we doing? The bay for food?' Beki thought for a second before responding 'Yeh sounds good to me.'

As we strolled up to the Bay we noticed how quiet it was, there was barely anyone around 'This is creepy the college being this quiet... reminds me of that Zombie scenario you came up with a while ago' Beki said nervously
'Don't be silly Zombies aren't due till the end of this year' I laughed. Entering the Bay the first thing I noticed was that the shutters were down on the food service area and a note was attached. 'Closed due to health concerns' I read aloud for Beki, since I had better eyesight and could read it from a further distance.
'Oh well there goes that plan' She said still sounding rather nervous 'Why is everyone ill all of a sudden?' Beki continued.
' I don't know, probably just this years stomach bug' I started to say before being cut out by a 'Oi Oi! Nathan and Beki! Come join us! We're bored, its way to quiet today!' Being shouted out from the other end of the room 'Oh yeah everyone is ill... except them. Typical eh?' Beki said darkly.
♠ ♠ ♠
*Edit - Merged Chapter 1 and Original Chapter 2 together.
Also, I'm English so fag to me means a cigarette. Just thought I'd explain that for the American viewers :)