Status: In Progress

Inzanity

Chapter 2 - The Afternoon

'Do we have to go over there?' Beki whined as we approached the table of people that had called us over 'Babe its only for a little while you can handle it' I quietly replied. Arriving at the table i said 'Hey' whilst checking who was there, Izzy, self proclaimed lesbian who still dated guys, Charlotte, my best friends girlfriend, Tom, the duck obsessed man and Dane, whom i played Pool with every Friday. 'Hows it going?' I asked and got a chorus of ' All good' and 'Not to bad' in reply.

After grabbing a couple of seats from neighboring tables me and Beki sat down and joined in the chatter with everyone 'So Dane.. ready to get your ass handed to you this afternoon?' I jokingly asked 'Neither of us is kicking anyone's ass today, the pool rooms been shut!' he replied sounding sullen 'No! That's the only reason I actually come in on a Friday!' I said in dismay 'I'm gonna go check it out, coming?'
'Sure, why not, maybe we can head into town if it's still closed' came the reply from Dane who hopped out of his seat. 'Well I'm bored so I'll tag along' Charlotte chimed in as everyone got up and started to follow.

As we walked to the area that the games room was located Izzy suddenly cried aloud as she slipped on a puddle of disgusting looking liquid 'Eurgh, what is this!' Izzy asked as she got up, trying to rub it off 'Its probably just some idiot squirting strawberry syrup on the floor or something, like that guy at school did down the banister rails on the stairs' I said rationally. Drawing closer i started to notice a scent that seemed almost... coppery as well as other puddles on the floor.
'Theres water leaking from under that door' Dane said pointing to a male bathroom 'Ok then Dane, I'll just nip in and turn it off, you wait here.' He didn't argue.

Pushing the door open with my pool cue case, I strolled in when suddenly something came rushing out of the cubicle holding the cistern lid over their head like a weapon. I quickly raised the case above me and knocked the cistern lid away, jarring my arms and causing the attacker to dart back again. 'Nathan, is that you?' The attacker said 'What if it is?' I replied in what i hoped was a voice unaffected by adrenaline and fear. Then suddenly they pulled their hair to one side and I realized it was another person who was normally in the group at the table. 'Hi Anu... care to explain the attempting to bash my brains out and uh, why you're in the guys toilets?' I asked whilst standing up and checking the case for damage. 'I'm well within my rights to go where I want! Well you know, I thought you might of been one of the people who tried to munch on me? she replied brusquely. 'What are you on about! There's almost nobody here!' I said feeling mildly confused.
'There was a group of them, my teacher included they looked dead they were pale, had bones piercing their skin and blood running down their faces! I know what i saw Nathan!' She replied aggressively.

Leaving the bathroom with Anu and her cistern lid in tow, I decided to tell the others what Anu had said, they would probably laugh but I had to tell them, just in case it was right.
'Guys, I need you to listen to Anu's story, I suspect, if what she says is true, that this might be a Zombie apocalypse' I said to them all, and as I expected they responded with laughter, all except myself, Beki and Anu. Then something happened which silenced them all. The Games room door slammed open and footsteps came pounding down the hallway.
'I thought you said it was closed?' I said to Dane
'Well theres a note on the door... I didn't actually try the door' he said looking a bit sheepish.
Then from around the corner a blood-soaked teenager came sprinting towards us, hands extended like talons, knife wounds all over his body and moaning the awful moan of that the films had never gotten quite right. 'Are you alright?' I called but no reply came, just that moan. As he got closer I noticed his eyes were completely white, instinct took over and I raised the case and as it got closer, I swung. The moaning stopped. The corpse hit the ground. I suddenly bent over and retched. I had just smashed a humans head in... I felt the solid wood of the case smash through his skull and destroy his brain, the shock waves traveling up the length of the case and into my arms. 'Believe me now' Anu said in a quavering voice.

The others, now shocked into silence, followed me as we crept back into the Bay.
'What do we do now?' asked Charlotte
'We head to the kitchens, grab as much canned food as possible as well as some knifes and other weapons' Beki said obviously remembering the college scenario.
'Ok me and Dane take lead, lets get this done' I said quietly.

We crept through the hallways constantly listening out for anything, the few people who had been around seemed to have disappeared making everything that much eerier. Reaching the kitchen Dane and I slipped through the door and immediately noticed the stench, we slowly went through the kitchen until we reached the source of the stench. Three rotten corpses piled by one of the hobs 'Dane, those weren't here earlier when i had my lesson' I whispered
'So?' I gave him a incredulous look ' That means either they were moved here... or they moved themselves here' at this he realized what it meant and pulled a plectrum out of his pocket
'I may have left my guitar at home but I always carry plectrums' he said before attaching some blue tack from another pocket to give it some weight and lobbing it at the corpses. For a second nothing happened then the Corpse at the bottom started to move... after a few seconds it had gotten free from the pile and was pulling itself towards us. Circling it we say why it wasn't standing. Someone had broken its legs and forced the bone to break from the skin and protrude leaving a shiny red trail of blood behind. I quickly finished the crawler by caving in its head.

Having taken care of the crawler we brung the others over and armed them with knives and then had then search the kitchen for canned goods which they then bagged up.