Status: In Progress

Inzanity

Chapter 3 - The Defense

'Ok how much food did you salvage?' I said to my small band of, what I was mentally referring to them as, Survivors. 'About 3 days worth if we're sensible' Tom replied confidently.
'Ok from here you guys have two choices, you can stick with me or you can go it alone, its up to you!' But as I looked around I saw that none of them planned on leaving 'Righty then let's get sorted then, you guys are to stay here and barricade the windows, me and Dane are going to raid all the sweet machines throughout the college' after saying this I opened up my pool cue's case and took the heavier end out whilst Dane did the same but attached a knife to his 'Lets do this then' I said, feeling queasy suddenly as i realized that in order to survive i was going to have to split more skulls.

We quietly slipped out of the kitchen door and headed for the stairs to the next floor. As we carefully checked through the doors we heard the disturbing breathing of these monsters in human skin 'Where is it? Can you see it anywhere?' Dane whispered to me, looking around I couldn't see anything until I poked my head through the door and there was our heavily breathing suspect, with three more of them banging on the door into the Confidential STI Screening room. 'This isn't the time or place but I have to say.... I think what they've got is a bit beyond HIV or Chlamydia' I sniggered. It was Danes turn to look incredulous
'Really... at a time like this you're making jokes?' he snapped
'What else is there to do when Death is checking you out' I replied with a smile
'Anyway onto the situation, since we don't want to catch whatever that is, or HIV for that matter, but theres gotta be something in there, I say step out pull our hoods over our mouths and take them what do you think?' I asked him
'That could work but you step out first and step away from them then as they run by I'll pop out and flank them' Dane said 'That works for me' I muttered as I pull up my hoodie to cover my mouth before stepping through the doors, taking a step back and then tapping my foot loud enough that the creatures heard it.

Their gruesome blood-covered faces turned to face me and then they started shambling towards me. With them approaching I raised my cue and waited until they were within reach before I started smashing, my cue splattering blood across the walls as it repeatedly crushed bones. Then Dane stepped out and finished off the last one cracking its skull open. 'Oh god that's sickening' he said between retches, his thin strings of bile mixing with the blood, bone, and other bodily fluids that coated the floor. 'I know it is, c'mon lets have a look in this room see what's in here.' I gingerly stepped over the gore and stepped over to the door and gently swung the door open and stood back.

'Help me... please' came a quiet voice from inside. 'Who's there!' I called in.
'I'm David, I'm a substitute lecturer' came the quiet reply 'I left the class I was teaching to find the nurses office since I started to feel ill and then one of those things attacked me! Believe it or not the thing bit me!' I stepped in revealing who I was ' We did wonder where you went, we finished our sugar stuff you'll be happy to know' I said comfortingly. Looking at him properly I realized he couldn't have long left, blood was trickling from the corner of his mouth and there were large chunks torn out of his arms and legs, with curious black veins spreading from each bite and no blood leaking from the bites, anymore that is, there was massive blood stains around them.
'David you haven't got long left and if I'm right when you die your going to become one of them' I said sympathetically 'Are you saying these things are zombies or something?' He asked stupendously 'Well yeah of a sort.... I suppose you could call them zombies' I replied
'Oh well then you've two choices really, smash my skull open and stop me coming back or blockade the door and hope I don't get through' He said taking the news surprisingly well.
'Well I don't think I can handle smashing someone skull when their still alive' Dane said, 'Nor me' I agreed.

After raiding the sweets in the vending machines we pushed them in front of the STI room door, blockading it and hopefully keeping the soon to be deceased David in. We then prepared to continue to Level 2 to raid the drinks machine. We managed to reach the staircase e without any issues but stepping through we heard the pounding of feet on the floor below, intrigued we peered down the gap to see 3 people running down chased by a group of 5 or 6 zombies. Looking at each other we simply nodded and started down the stairs after them. We silently crept up the hallway of the first floor. Approaching the corner we slowed down and I peeked around to see the group of zombies banging on a door not 10 feet away. Looking for some sort of idea I saw a luggage trolley used to move the amps around and a idea instantly popped into my head. I jogged down to it, using the noise the zombies were making to cover the sound of my footsteps and started pushing the trolley as fast as I could. I let go as I turned around the corner sending the trolley flying past the zombies who immediately noticed it and began chasing it. Running over to the door me and Dane quickly knocked on it and almost immediately a familiar face appeared at the window next to us before the door opened. 'Pirate! Come on we gotta go before they come back' Dane told him keeping his voice down so the zombies didn't hear him. His name wasn't actually Pirate of course it was Mark but he had gained the nickname somewhat mysteriously. Pirate looked behind him and spoke to someone we couldn't see 'Its safe, we've got to go now or we'll be stuck!' He told the mystery person.

It turned out to be mystery people, as 2 girls followed 'Pirate' out of the room, 2 girls I recognized. They were called Charz and Jess and were art students and were well known for having very... loose loyalties to their friends. I'd have to keep an eye on them. 'Okay you 3 keep up, We'll return to the other survivors now, we've based ourselves in the kitchens for now'

We set off, headed for the kitchens. As we got closer I heard that fear inspiring moaning echoing down the hallway 'Dane... I think the others may need us' I said 'Then what are we waiting for? You guys keep back' He replied aiming the second part at Pirate and his compadres. Weapons raised we ran quietly down to the kitchen and saw a group of 10 Zombies banging on the door 'Same as before?' I asked Dane just nods in reply.

So once again I step out and attract the Zombies attention. I raise my cue. Then the zombies change direction and turn to Dane without warning, I charge after them and upon catching up, start swinging. Left, right and center I deliver punishing blows, smashing bones and spraying blood up the walls and every once in a while managing to smash a skull which just adds to the gore swilling across the floor, Blood, Piss, Vomit and Brains squelched underfoot from the damaging blows bursting guts, bladders and skulls. Slowly but surely me and Dane managed to kill them when their were only 4 left some of the others ran out of the kitchen and helped finish them off. Decapitating them quickly whilst they were focused on me and Dane. Behind us we heard Charz or Jess throwing up.

Once they were all dealt with we returned into the kitchen, upon entering Beki ran over frowned at my now ruined top before shrugging and throwing her arms around me, despite me being covered in gore and then looked for any wounds before smiling. Whilst me and Dane had been gone the others had been very busy forming proper barricades over the windows leaving the doors as the only entrance point
'Well done guys! Looks good! Did you find anymore food whilst we were out?' I called out
'We managed to find some more in the dry store across the hallway and I'd reckon we now have 4 days worth, how did you fare?' Tom replied
'Fairly well, another days food and enough liquids to last us 3 days tops, as well as these 3 survivors, so lets get planning' I said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys, thought I'd ya know.... leave a note for you readers. Thanks for reading and don't be afraid to leave some constructive criticism!