Status: In Progress

Inzanity

Chapter 4 - Moving on

"Right" I start "So we have some food and drink, however these are going to run out damn quick with 10 of us to split it between. We need to decide how to ge-' A sudden bang, repeated a few seconds later interrupts my thoughts. 'What the?' as I try to figure out where the noise is coming from I spot Dane looking towards the blocked up doors that lead to the college restaurant. 'Dane and Pirate, with me. Beki, grab a weapon and try to give everyone else one to. The rest of you start packing up the food and Tom, make sure no one sneaks any to themselves' I say grabbing my cue and running to the blocked off doorway.

As we approach the door we see a solitary zombie repeatedly walking into the blockage, its forehead already bloody from the force of walking into the barrier. 'We need to get rid of it quietly before it can draw any others over here' Pirate said in a hushed voice at which Dane starts forward with his cue, knife attached to the end, obviously planning on going for a clean kill. But as he approaches the barrier an unearthly chorus starts. 'Fuck... Go go go!' Dane shouts, only just perceivable over the moans and groans of the undead, as he spins about and runs back towards us. Without even questioning me and Pirate both bolt back to the main group 'Everyone we need to go now! Unless you fancy being eaten grab your weapons and a bag of food and get out' I call out to the survivors who are all staring, like rabbits caught in the headlights of a truck. 'That means now! If you get split up meet us down at the bottom of the hill!'

The message gets through to their brain instantly and they suddenly spring into action, grabbing bags of food and the knives or wooden clubs that Beki had been preparing and heading for the main doors. 'Dane take point, Pirate, you're with me guarding the back' I call to them. Both simply nod rather than try shouting over the noise the zombies are making. 'With me everyone, lets go!' Dane calls before running out the doors being held open by Pirate and myself. Everyone follows him swiftly, just in time as a smashing, loud enough to be heard over the racket, echoes around the room. 'You ready for this Pirate? We're gonna have to run like the Devil himself is chasing us.' He looks at me and laughs 'You don't say?' Just as the last person other then us leaves the first of the zombies comes sprinting into the room 'Great... these ones can run as well' I groan before spinning around and running out the door with Pirate.

Behind us the sound of the first zombies slamming into the kitchen doors gets louder and louder as more crash into them, then with a loud crack the entire door comes off its hinges and slams into the ground, the zombies at the front being trampled by those behind them, their blood-thirsty eyes never leave us though. 'Keep running!' I shout as I began catching up with the last person, Charlotte. I quickly risk a glance over my shoulder and realize how big a horde this is, there must at least 40 of them, blood-stained and covered in gore. Some of it fresh and still glistening. Facing forward again I see everyone flying out the heavy exterior door that Danes holding open. Just as we reach it I hear a shriek and see Charlotte trip over and land flat on her face 'Help me!' she screams at us panic and terror tearing through her voice. Me and Pirate instantly stop, almost falling over ourselves, turn around and go to grab her outstretched hands but just as our fingers brush the zombies grab her legs and starts to half drag half bundle her into their mass. 'No! Shit!' Pirate shouts as her hand narrowly misses his. He goes to grab again but I grab his shoulder and pull him through the door before Dane slams it closed and uses someone’s club as a makeshift latch to stop the zombies pulling it open. Glancing back inside we see a bloody hand slap the window before being dragged down as more zombies pile on top. 'Oh god. I tried! I really did' Pirate says guilt leaking through his voice. 'You couldn't do anything more without being caught as well' Dane said patting him on the back. I remain quiet not knowing what to say. In the background I hear Tom shout 'Come one before they finish with her and burst through that door to!' Dane constraints Pirate so he doesn't attack Tom for being so heartless. I say quietly 'He's right, lets not let her loss go to waste.'

We quickly jog down to the base of the hill and everyone stops to catch their breath I gather Beki, Dane and Pirate a few yards from the rest of the group. 'Well that has rushed my plan along and now we don't have a safe base, you guys are with me all the way right?' slightly panicky I say, things suddenly seeming more real after losing one of our group. 'Yeh of course we are!' Dane and Pirate instantly exclaim. Beki says nothing but she smiles and kisses me on the cheek whilst hugging me. 'Thanks guys' I say with a smile.

'Ok everybody! I know we've lost a friend but we have to push on!' I say getting a grip on myself and simultaneously getting everyone's attention focused on me, but before I can continue I'm suddenly cut off by a someone in the group.

'Why should we listen to you? After all thanks to you one of my best friends is now dead! As well as that your not exactly the most intelligent one here and no one voted for you to be in charge'
I spot the speaker and am not at all surprised by who it is.
Izzy continues 'In fact I feel that I should be in charge! After all I am smarter then the rest of you'
at this point Dane cuts in
'Well for a start it wasn't his fault that Charlotte is dead, at least he tried to help her, where were you? As for your comment about him leading us, he may not be the most intelligent of us but he's certainly not stupid and he's a zombie nerd, he's been planning for a zombie apocalypse for years, as well as that we aren't following him, but so far he's had good ideas, which make logical sense so we have listened, got any better ones? If so lets hear them!' There are murmurs of agreement from the others.
'Well maybe so but... but... fine I'll drop the intelligence comment however why should he be in charge? All he's done is smash zombies heads in, have either of you tried negotiating with them?'
Everyone now just stares at her, like she's some sort of alien dropped from the sky.
'What part of flesh eating zombies don't you get? Did you not just see them devour your friend?' This comes from Pirate.
'Well you did aggravate them by attacking them in the corridor, maybe that was just vengeance! Maybe these so called 'zombies' are actually the next evolution of humanity!' At this point everyone's jaws have hit the ground.
'Are you a fucking idiot?' 'Your a psycho!' 'We should feed you to them and see how you feel about your theory then!'
'Guys calm down. Izzy, you are obviously a psychopath if you actually believe that those monsters are our next evolution, if you plan on attempting to get us killed or some other psychopathic plot then leave. Now. Otherwise just be quiet' I say realizing things could get ugly if nobody attempts to defuse the situation. Izzy stays silent this time but stands glowering at everyone else. 'That won't be the last we hear of that, yet another problem to watch' I think to myself.

'Anyway back to where I was, we need a vehicle, something big enough to fit us all on board, ideas anyone?' I continue, feeling disturbed and concerned by Izzy's comments, after all if shes lost her mind already then how long will it be before others sanity starts to slip away?
'How about a train!' came from Anu 'No a plane!' came from Tom. 'Come on guys I'm being serious, first of a train is really restricted about where it can go, and none of us know how to drive one. Tom a plane would be good.... if any of us could actually fly. We need somewhere to use as a base that also serves as transport' at this Jess pipes up 'How about a double decker? Or just a large coach?' I smile at her, thankful that there is someone sensible here 'Thank you! See now that is a actual good idea, now does anybody know where we can find one nearby?'
♠ ♠ ♠
My apologies about how long its been :)