Sequel: Science & Faith

Fairytales & Lullabies

Three wishes, just three wishes oh.

It was like all those movies with the cheesy airport scenes. The boy accuses the girl of cheating. The girl argues back, there’s no way she would ever do that. The boy calls her bluff and yells louder. She runs to the airport, ready to take off when he arrives just in time to apologize and sweep her off her feet.

Or maybe he’s leaving. Maybe his girlfriend is pregnant and he thinks he won’t be a good father. His father left him, and he’s afraid he’ll do the same thing. But as soon as he steps on the plane he knows he’s made a mistake. The camera cuts to the girl chasing after him, but gets to the gate too late as his plane has already departed. But when she turns around he’s standing right there.

My story wasn’t like that. Well, I was accused of cheating, but I never had, and I was pregnant, but I was the one getting ready to leave. Pittsburgh is my home I would have done anything to stay here, but I knew I needed to leave. Everywhere I turned something reminded me of him. The city was covered with the Penguins logo and couldn’t help but think of him when I saw it. If it hadn’t been for the Penguins organization I would have never met him. I would have never met the love of my life. Although, I do blame the Penguins organization for keeping him from me right now. He shouldn’t be playing hockey right now, he should be coming after me. But this was too much to ask for. He had a job to do and a silly little girl wouldn’t get in his way.

That’s how I felt the last two weeks. After our big blowout I had put in my two weeks notice, I had a “family emergency” to take care of. There was no way I could work with him around and it would be selfish of me to ask him to quit. The company let me go right away, finding a replacement from their minor league team to take my spot. Kris played his best hockey those two weeks. He was focused every second and knew exactly what to do to help his team win.

His team. I wasn’t apart of it anymore. I would never help Sid get his stick ready before a game. Or help Jordan with his laces after injuring his hands in a fight. Or help Max pick up chicks after a big win. Life was changing and I couldn’t tell if it was for the better.

Of course I was scared about finding out I was pregnant, but I was thrilled as well. I had always wanted to start a family. This may have been earlier than I planned, but life doesn’t always follow your plan.

Kris, on the other hand, had no clue that I was pregnant. The only person that I had told was Jordan. If Jordan had told him, I’m sure he would have been here by now. If everything in life worked like the movies, he would be here.

But as I recently discovered, things don’t always work out like the movies. Prince Charming doesn’t always come and sweep Cinderella off her feet. And the boyfriend doesn’t always skip out on his job to stop his pregnant girlfriend from getting on a plane to go back home.

They announce that my flight is boarding and I gather my belongings. Jordan promised to ship everything else out when I found out where I was staying. It was difficult for me to go into Kris and mine’s apartment without him knowing, but I knew it was for the best. What was even more difficult was trying to remember what was mine and what was his.

I had to leave behind his t-shirt that I slept in most nights, even though I might not sleep very well ever again without it. I left all the movies behind, knowing he would watch them more than I would. Leaving the ring behind was the hardest part. We weren’t supposed to just fall apart so quickly. Leaving the ring behind was me finally coming to reality that our relationship was over.

Fairytales left me with a false sense of security. They gave me a false hope that he would be back; that everything that had happened was just a misunderstanding and we would be back in each others arms. But as I got on that plane, I knew that this wasn’t true; fairytale endings don’t happen in real life. They’re meant for stories and for children.

When they closed the door to the plane, I knew I wasn’t a child anymore. The time had come for me to stop believe in fairytales. Believing them had gotten me into trouble in the first place. All the wishing and praying that Kris would come running onto the plane to stop me was all part of my own fairytale. One I knew was slowly coming to end.

When the plane finally got up into the air I knew it was over. I got my last look at Pittsburgh while flying through the air. Looking down at the streets I would walk almost everyday made me want to cry. But crying, and fairytales, was for children, and once that plane had left the ground I became an adult.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kind of fillerish, but this is the chapter that started it all. I wrote this chapter first and the ideas for the entire story just came to me. What did you think?