Sequel: Science & Faith

Fairytales & Lullabies

Tell me a story so I can sleep.

"They're all worried about you." Jordan said into his cell phone. He was on his way to practice. I was lounging at Anne’s apartment early in the morning.

"They have my number. Tell them they can call me whenever." I flipped through the channels on the TV. Nothing was ever on anyways, why would now be so different.

"Alright take care. We've all been thinking about you." I could here talking in the background, but it faded quickly.

"Thanks Jordy, love you."

"Love you too." Jordan shut his phone and looked up. The entire locker room was staring at him, not including Kris. His head was down and he continued to tie his skates.

"How is she?" Max asked softly. The room was silent; everyone wanted to know how she was.

"She's good. She got to Anne’s house last night." Kris' head moved up. "She’s staying there for now until she figures out what she’s doing next."

At that moment all the cell phones in the room went off. Each player found a new text. Each was from Greta, telling them that she was just a phone call or text away. Kris didn't wait for anyone else to finish getting ready and walked right of the room.

Sid leaned over to Jordan and showed his cell phone. "Do you know what this is about?" Sid's text was different than everyone else's. Greta asked him to call her after practice; she needed to talk to him.

"I think so, but it's not my place to tell you." Sid put his phone away and the rest of the team finished getting ready for practice.

***

"You haven't told him?" Sid’s question rang through my phone. "He’s going to be even more upset when he finds out."

"He's not going to find out, I just need you to keep an eye on him. I don't want him doing anything crazy, but I don't want him to be alone. If Spencer’s still around, he’s going to take his anger out on him."

"He still loves you."

"I know." My voice was quiet and I ran my fingers through my hair.

“He won’t talk to anyone in the locker room. Dan’s tried, but Kris doesn’t say much, even to him.”

"Just keep an eye on him for me?"

"Of course. I'll call you again soon. Tell Anne I'll call her tonight."

"Can do Sid. Take care."

"You too." Sid hung up his phone and looked around the locker room. There were a few stray players, including Kris in the showers and Spencer in Coach Bylsma’s office.

Spencer came out first and put his gear together. Kris came out a few minutes later. Kris seemed to put on his jeans and t-shirt quicker then normal. Spencer pulled his bag over his shoulder and gave Sidney a wave as he walked out the doors. Sid didn’t know why, but he just couldn’t get along with Spencer. Maybe it was because he was the reason one of his best friend’s broke up with the best thing that’s ever happened to him. Sid nodded and watched Kris walk out behind him. Sid was pulling his hat on when he heard the commotion.

He sprinted to the door, out to the hallway. Kris had Spencer pinned against the wall. He brought his fist back and punched him square in the nose.

Sid raced forward and pulled Kris back before he could land another punch. He was struggling against Kris' power; his anger seemed to make him stronger. "Don’t ever go near her again!"

Spencer clutched his nose, "She didn't seem to mind."

Sid cut in, "Get out of here Spencer!" Spencer scurried off as Sid pulled Kris into the now empty locker room. "What the hell was that?!"

Kris sat down in his stall. "He can't go and kiss another teammates girl! It's against every moral code there is!"

"It’s not like you stood by Greta after this!" Sid stayed standing in front of him.

"She cheated on me!” Kris jumped up onto his feet, “I can't be with after she broke my trust!"

Sid walked back over and grabbed his things. "For a guy that said he was in love with her, I can't believe you never heard her side of the story." Kris caught his gaze before looking back at his feet. Sid walked out of the hall. If he was already looking after Kris this soon, he couldn't imagine many more times he would have to help Greta out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kris is getting a little out of control. What did you think?