Sequel: Science & Faith

Fairytales & Lullabies

let's pretend I found your slipper,

"Just fold the jerseys and put them away." Dana told me. "Then you can go enjoy your day." He smiled at me before saying a quick goodbye and leaving me to finish the laundry.

I had been here for less than a week and had already felt at home. With practices happening everyday, I had to be here to help with anything that was needed. Sharpening skates is what I had spent most of my time doing, as well as cleaning the locker room. I had ordered the items we were lacking and helped wash several loads of practice jerseys already.

The boys seemed to have grown accustom to having a girl around. They had to be more careful about walking around naked in the locker room now, but no one complained in front of me.

I no longer got lost searching for my office after walking the same pattern for a few days. The placement of all the tools I would need to use may take a little longer to figure out. It would take some time for me to learn where to properly place everything.

I still hadn't found a place to live which was becoming frustrating. With no car, it was hard for to search for anything that wasn't online. I stayed at the arena for the tome being. I had slept in the trainer’s room with a blanket I had found. It wasn't the most comfortable situation, but I was getting sleep.

Jordan and I had talked several times since our run in. We had joked around and made fun of each other in the locker room and greeted each other when he walked by me sharpening skates in the morning.

So I was glad it was him who had caught me dancing around singing to NSYNC while waiting for the jerseys to finish in the dryer. "But I'm leaving you behind! Bye bye!" He stood in the doorway just smiling at me.

"What are you doing?" He kept the smile on his face but it seemed to grow with each word.

"Only singing the greatest song ever!" He tried to hold back his laugh, only for it to come out ever louder. "What do you want anyways?" I turned the music down to hear his answer.

"Me and some of the guys are going out for a late lunch before coming back for a little more practice. Want to come with us?" His eyebrow raised in a questioning look.

The timer buzzed for the drier, "Let me get the jerseys out and I'll meet you in the players’ lot."

***

I rode with Jordan, Sid, and Max to the local diner while Tyler, Marc-Andre and Kris rode in another car. The seven of us barely fit in the diner with the lunch time crowd, but we managed to fit.

I sat between Jordan and Kris, with Max at the head of the table. Sid was across from Kris with Marc next to him and Tyler farther down. The boys ordered more food than I had ever seen. I couldn't believe they were going to eat all this and then practice.

They had all talked amongst each other, I had only joined when I had a quick comment about something, and otherwise I had been relatively quiet. Kris had also said very little. Neither of us felt the need to carry the conversation with so many others around.
“Will you pass the ketchup?” Marc asked. I immediately went to reach for it. My hand met Kris’ on the bottle at the same time. We both pulled back and looked at each other. I blushed as he grabbed it.

“Sorry.” I whispered. No one else seemed to notice our encounter.

“It’s not a problem.” He replied back. I looked back up to catch him smiling. I smiled back and returned to my food.

Jordan had finished his omelet and started to steal my food. I swatted his hand away from my pancakes and gave him a stern look. He stuck his bottom lip and just rolled my eyes. I took one last bite before sliding my plate to him.

***

We got back to the arena around 3 o’ clock. The boys went and got what equipment they needed to put on, while I found a pair of skates to use and a bucket of pucks for the guys.

I skated onto the ice a dumped out the pucks at center ice. I put the bucket down next to the pile and started skating around the rink.

The boys came rushing out to ice with a group laugh. They all had sticks in their hands. Marc was without his goalie pads and had stolen a random stick to shoot with.

"Greta! Come over here and shoot with us!" Jordan called out. I skated towards group, taking my time to stop on the skates I wasn't used to. "We’re all going to take turns shooting pucks into the net, but we have to do it creatively. Similar to a shootout, whoever loses has to pick up pucks." He handed me his stick and put a puck down in front of me. Oh boy.

I pulled the stick back and lined up for a slap shot, but before I hit it, I spun around in a circle then hit it. The puck hit the boards about 7 feet from the net. I couldn't help but blush with all the laughing that was going on around me. I knew how to skate, but I never learned to shoot very well.

I went to the back of the group to watch everyone else. Slowly but surely, guys missed the net and moved back to be by me. Tyler came back first after trying to flip the puck up in the air and swinging at it like a baseball player would hit a ball. He swung too late and the pick landed right where it had started.

Sid eventually won with his safe, but impressive shots. Tyler started to pick up when I told him that I had lost fair and square and that I could pick them up. He made sure I was fine with it before walking to get off the ice. As soon as he reached the bench he turned back around and helped me pick them up anyways. We were silent as we picked up the pucks and as we walked through the halls. He went through the doors of the locker room, while I went to put the pucks away.

***

I had made the trainers room bed more comfortable by placing a few towels down on it. I was wearing my warmest sweatpants and an old Golden Gopher hockey sweatshirt. I had a blanket in my hands and toss it over the make shift bed. The room was cold, but it would help me fall asleep. Before I could crawl into bed there was a knock at the door.

I turned around to see Kris in front of me. I pushed my glasses up out of a nervous habit. Kris was gorgeous; no one would deny that. And here I was with a college sweatshirt, glasses on, and hair place in a mess bun on the top of my head.

"Hey Kris, what can do for you?" I felt a blush creep on my face knowing I got caught with my sleep arrangements.

"Uh... There weren't any cars left in the players lot so I just wanted to see if you needed a ride home." He took the baseball cap of his head and ran his hand through his long hair.

"Thanks Kris, but I'm actually good." I stood there waiting for him to leave. I looked up and met his eyes. I quickly looked away. I could still feel his eyes staring at me.

"I just don't want you leaving here this late alone." I met his eyes before sighing.

"If I tell you something, can you promise not to tell anyone?" He nodded his head before meeting my gaze. "I've been staying here since I've been here. I haven't had time to look for a place except for online." I looked away from him, too embarrassed to meet his gaze. "It's not the most comfortable or normal place to stay, but it's all I can do right now."

He looked down at his feet for a few moments. I couldn't tell what he was thinking. He looked back up at me with a small smile. Kris's voice was soft but commanding, "Come stay at my place."
♠ ♠ ♠
Here we go! Let me know what you thought!