Sequel: Science & Faith

Fairytales & Lullabies

cause I'm on my way up to see you

I walked out of the bathroom to see Marc in his bed watching ESPN. But unlike any normal person, his feet where laying on his pillow and his body was turned sideways. I let out a small laugh to myself and put my toothbrush back in my bag. "Have you called Vero yet? How is she?" I grabbed a ponytail off the nightstand and put my hair up into a messy bun.

"She's good. She's not thrilled about this situation but she understands because of Max." I had only met Vero once but we immediately hit it off. Vero had offered to show me around Pittsburgh when I had free time and a female companion to talk to. She understood what hockey life was like and knew how to deal with some of the players.

"Good." I crawled under the covers and immediately warmed up. Marc leaned up on his elbow, his feet still on the pillows, and stared at me. I let it go, until he hadn't stopped almost five minutes later. I looked back at him, "What?"

"So, you and Kris are living together, huh?" He had a smirk on his face. I rolled my eyes.

“You and Kris are living together, huh.” I used an obnoxious voice to repeat his question I didn’t want to answer. "Yeah, so?" I turned and faced him, resting my head on my elbow in a similar manner.

"It seems to be doing him good." A confused look crossed my face. "He's happier. He seems more relaxed. He’s not as shy anymore. He talks to everyone in the locker room, not just a few people. It's good for him."

“Yeah?” I sat back up. I was interested in what Marc had to say now.

“Oh yeah. He’s changed this season, but in a good way.” He smirked.

I rolled back over and closed my eyes, "Goodnight Marc."

"Goodnight Greta. Or should I say the future Mrs. Kristopher Allen... Hey!" I cut him off with a pillow to the face.

"Goodnight Marc." There was a part of me that couldn't get Marc's comment out of my head. I'm good for him? But I haven’t done anything. I've listened to him when he needed someone to talk to. A homemade meal here and there, but that's it. But maybe that's all he needed in the first place.

He was helping me. Kris offered me a place to stay, so I was just being polite. Although, I enjoyed talking to him and cooking was that big of a deal. Maybe he was all I needed. I was finally happy and found a place where I belonged.

I knew there was a part of me that liked him more then a friend, but it had always been pushed back. I tried to ignore it, but now that Marc brought it up, there’s no way it would just disappear. After all, with the jobs we had, there was no way a relationship could work.

***

Kris was straightening his tie we he saw Max for the first time in almost twelve hours. He walked in the door with a large grin on his face, but it soon fell when he saw Kris. "Where's Greta?"

"We switched rooms, she's rooming with Marc."

Max started to change into a fresh pair of clothes, "You going to ask her out soon?" Kris looked back at Max with a confused look on his face. "We can all see you like her, except maybe for Greta herself."

Kris shook his head, "I don't know. Her and Jordan..."

"They're nothing. Jordan has a girlfriend and they act like siblings, not like boyfriend and girlfriend. But if you don't make your move soon, you never know who may show up."

Kris nodded his head and walked out of the room with Max behind him. At the same time he saw Marc and Greta walk out of their room. "How was last night Max?" Marc asked him.

Max could only smile, "Great! Thanks for that by the way Greta!"

She smiled and let out a sarcastic comment, "Anything for you, Max."

"Anything?" He waggled his eyebrows and she shoved him out the elevator into the waiting arms of another girl. We all shared a laugh as Max walked to the team bus with the girl. Marc followed him, with Greta and Kris behind him.

***

I don't why I did it, but that little part of me that had a crush on Kris wanted to do it. I grabbed his hand and stopped him from walking. I pulled him in for a hug that he returned. Before Kris could pull away completely, I pulled his face down and kissed him on the cheek. "Thank you for switching rooms with me. It really means a lot to me."

We continued walking. I saw a smile slowly come onto his face, "It was no problem, really. Max never came back last night so it wasn't as bad as I expected."

"Still, it means a lot." I smiled at him as we got on the bus. I stayed put closer to front and saw him walk father back to his teammates. He looked back at me and winked before sitting down in his seat.

Kissing Kris on the cheek only confirmed my feelings for him. My heart felt warm and butterflies had danced in my stomach; nothing else in the world had mattered except for the two of us. All I could think about was his smile after I kissed him the whole ride to the arena. Maybe if we tried hard enough, a relationship could work.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had a lot of fun writing this chapter! What did you think of it?