Status: Work In Progress M'Dearies(:

Defenseless

Chapter Three

I ride down the highway in a Ford Explorer I had stolen the night I left Washington, and boy it is driving like a charm! Warm summer air pushes against my face, blowing random strands of my hair all around, from my open window as I near closer and closer to where I’ll be staying for the next…god knows how long. The Oceanic.

I smile to myself, visualizing what Philadelphia looks like now. I hadn’t been here sense my first victim. Karley was he name. It was when my parents were still alive to. I’m sure they would still be alive today if it wasn’t for a mistake I made. Karley being my first, I was a very inexperienced Souleter so, even with all of my parents guidance and tips, warnings as well, I took to much of her soul. The first—and only time— I feed from her I took about a years worth of her soul.

See, a soul goes on years. Ever noticed how during winter most people get weary, tired and even a bit depressed? It’s because, for most people anyway, that’s when a soul is nearing it’s end for the year, it slows down. Like a battery. New Years is normally when everyone’s soul charges up in a away, for another year. Makes sense now, doesn’t it?

So I took a years worth and Karley got terribly sick, very quickly. She died a week later.

The Hunters, a group of people that Soulerer’s are hellish creatures that need to go back to where they belong, had caught on. My parents were both in the middle of soul sucking a couple they had become close to, when a group of Hunters came barging in.

I luckily, was in my room. Now my room was hard to find and to any normal person would not find it. In the closet of my parents bedroom there was a small door on the right side of it, just a cut in the wall that could push to the side. Inside the small door were stairs, that lead up to my room; the attic.

The Hunters never found me, but they new I existed, Family pictures were all over the house. But they couldn’t find me no matter how hard they looked. I heard them too, the banging around. Them cursing for me to come out, cursing at each other for not finding me. They did not find me, not like I thought they would.

So, they lit the house on fire.

I was lucky to get out. Lucky actually that my room was in the attic where all the vent lead to, so I could smell the musky sent of the fire before it could get anywhere near me. So I grabbed my bag that my parents had packed for me incase I ever feared they were hurt, or worse, dead.

I never knew what was in the bag until that day.

Clothes, money, food, and a letter from each of my parents were in the bag. My mothers had said she loved me, and to try and make it to New York to be with my Aunt Hellin. My fathers said almost the save thing, but he added one important detail; Dont let them catch you.

I think he had realized that they would look for my family. I think he knew they’d go to my Aunt Hellins so, I never went. A month or so after that, I read in the newspaper that the Than family, all of us, were dead. The hunters thought I had died in the fire as well.

My father had been right. He always was though.

I pull into the parking lot of the Oceanic hotel get out of my car and walk to the back of my stolen car, a new licensee plate in my hand. This one wasn’t stolen, I made it on my own. I quickly took of the old license plate, and attached the new one.

Smiling at my handy work, I grab my bag out of the car and head toward the lobby of the hotel. It is a nice hotel, with a cool cream color painted onto its outsides, large windows giving people views of the city before them. Which is breathtakingly beautiful if I do say.

“Hello, Ma’am,” A boy says from behind the counter, running his awkwardly small hand through his greasy black hair. From the way his eyes narrow slightly, and his lips form a small pout I can tell he thinks he’s an attractive boy.

But he is not. His hair is greasy, falling past his yes in an unkempt manner. His eyes are to far apart, and his nose has a slight arch in it. His lips are far to full for his gaunt face, and to top it all off he has a slight butt chin. The only feature that is slightly attractive about him is his eye color. His left eyes is a cool blue, while the other is a sea green. Maybe if his body language didn’t indicate he thought he was completely a sexy beast, I could over look those things.

“Hello,” I murmur, shoving my hand into my bag and pulling out my Washington drivers license. It is much easier to use the one from my previous state rather than explaining to people why they’ve never seen me in their surroundings, yet I have a license from the place,

“Room for one?” He asks, his eyes raking over my body. I narrow my eyes in disgust and glare at him until he stops ogling at my body enough to notice I’m glaring. His eyes quickly snap away from my body and to the white screen that shines onto his face, making it look even more homely.

“Yes, but, I’m going to be living here, so make sure I have a nice room,” I say, turning on my most charming voice. He nods, seeming to search for a nice room in the hotels computer, “And make sure it has a view of the city. Money is not a problem.”

It isnt though, with pick pocketing, befriending rich people, and just knowing my way around stocks, helps a lot. Another factor could be I’m a beautiful girl that knows what she wants and will get it. Now get your mind out of the gutter.

He nods again, not looking up from the computer. I smirk to myself, already someone’s scared of me. That’s a record.

An hour later, I have all of my things in my room relatively unpacked, and I’m on my way to St. Markins High school to enroll. I did research on this high school, you dont need a parent to say you could go. You could be an orphan for all they care. So this is the high school I chose, hoping to find a troubled, but good hearted person to… kill.

“Good afternoon,” a perky blonde greets me from behind a desk. I narrow my eyes at her, she looks young. I study her closer for a moment, her blonde hair falls in loose ringlets down to her shoulders, and her hazel eyes seem happy, a little to happy. That’s when I see it, the blue and purple coloring showing up under her eye, her lip slightly cracked in the middle. An abusive boyfriend maybe?

The two seconds I take to observe her are all I need to know is she’s not my victim, “Good afternoon,” I smile, sitting in the chair in front of her desk.

“Is there anything I can do for you?” She asks, flashing a small smile. It doesn’t lead up to her eyes though, and normally people wouldn’t notice a thing like that. But, I’m not an ordinary person. So it probably is an abusive boyfriend. I feel no sympathy though, she got herself into the situation, she just needs to step out of it.

“Yes,” I say, “I would like to enroll for the senior class of twenty twelve.”

She nods, pushing away from her desk, and puling out a drawer, and then pulls out a small packet of papers. “Fill these out, and you’ll be able to start Monday. When the school year starts.”

I smile, taking the papers from her, grabbing a pen, and I start on the papers.

An hour or so after that the papers are filled out and I’m officially a Lion. What a stupid mascot, a Lion. The males are lazy, and do nothing but make sure other males dont fornicate with their females. While, the females hunt, and watch children; much like today’s standards in society.

“I’ll see you in two days, Ms. Than,” She smiles, reading my name off the paper. I nod, flashing a small smile, while I grab my bag. “Make sure to stop by early Monday, so we can give you your schedule.”

I nod again, getting up and walking toward the door.

I walk out of the building, as the warm air pushing against my bare skin. Which is a lot. I’m only in a pair of blue bootie shorts, and a white Hollister shirt with white flip-flops. I dont really understand why some people are obsessed with brand names like, Hollister and Abercrombie & Fitch. I agree, that some of their clothes are cute, but I only own so much Hollister now because in Washington, Emelia was obsessed to the max with the store. That was all she wore.

My eyes naturally scan the parking lot as I make my way to my car, and I see someone. Well, I see a group of people. A boy, and two girls, from what I can tell. I bite my lip, narrowing my eyes to see if I can get a better look at them.

They don’t look to be up to no good, just a couple of teenagers goofing around. Whoa, I wasn’t expecting to start my search until Monday. But hey its always good to have a head start.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have up to chapter 9 written. They're all unedited though, so when I get around to editing them they'll go up(: