Status: hopefully

Julius

OH, WON'T YOU LET ME DOWN?

Don’t get your hopes up. This isn’t a love story.

It’s hard to explain. Where should I start? The beginning or the end? Which parts are the beginnings and which parts are the ends?

What happened? I liked him, we fucked, he died, I miss him.

My entire relationship with Julius, from beginning to end, was a complete fucking blur.

I’m trying to remember when we first met, but it’s hard since I was only half conscious at the time and only half conscious now, as I try retelling the story for only the zillionth time.

Basically, Julius was my first everything.

Sometimes, he didn’t bother to call at all; other times, Julius was unbearably jealous and possessive. Either way, it didn’t matter. Every moment with him was heaven. It was hard to be around him but I didn’t ever want to let go.

On our bikes, we used to ride to the beaches and skate parks and old tunnels. If we were high, we wouldn’t talk, only fuck. I could never keep up with him.

If we weren’t high, it always felt like my world was ending.

I hated myself around him; every word I had to force out, it was hard, the way I would stutter, how quiet and nervous I would get. I had to bite my lip, to keep it from trembling around him. He was weird and otherworldly, I thought, why would he ever want to keep me?

I couldn’t stand to be with him, scared of being rejected. I couldn’t stand to be without him, I liked him too much.

Sober, sometimes, we would just hold hands and whisper and eat cherries. Still I can’t deny there was always that suffocating feeling of butterflies in the air.

I don’t know. How can I explain my first crush? Where do I begin? Where does it end? How can you even ask me something like that?

It’s hard. How does this not turn into another fucked up love story?